Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Saturday, 25 November, 2023 at 3pm.


Altrincham's second 6-1 home win of the season continued the pattern of games between Altrincham and Solihull never producing close results. All six previous clashes between the clubs had seen at least a two-goal margin of victory, the Midlanders being victorious in all but one of those matches.

For today's game, Altrincham made three changes with Marcus Dackers given a debut and centre-backs James Jones and Sam Roscoe replacing Lewis Baines and Jake Cooper. The hosts started brightly and it was Dackers who opened the scoring in the fourteenth minute as he converted a loose ball after an Alex Newby shot had been blocked.

Two goals in as many minutes, shortly before the interval, ensured the eventual outcome. First, Justin Amaluzor's low shot from the edge of the box doubled the home side's advantage before a Marcus Dackers shot was half blocked and the ball picked up some back-spin which allowed Chris Conn-Clarke to net Altrincham's third goal (43 mins).

The best goal of the day came at the end of an excellent Alty move and was finished off by a fine shot from left of goal by Newby which found the far, upper reaches of the net (52 mins). Almost as impressive was Amaluzor's second goal as he chipped the keeper from left of goal to make it 5-0 in the 76th minute.

Alty were deprived of a clean sheet when a Solihull cross from the right was headed by Craig and was diverted past a wrong-footed Ross by a defender's body, though Craig was credited with the goal (88 mins).

But Altrincham had the final say when substitute Regan Linney cut in from the left to drive a shot into the far corner of Hornby's goal in the fifth minute of added time.


  • 14 mins: Marcus DACKERS (ALTRINCHAM 1 Solihull Moors 0)
  • 41 mins: Justin AMALUZOR (ALTRINCHAM 2 Solihull Moors 0)
  • 43 mins: Chris CONN-CLARKE (ALTRINCHAM 3 Solihull Moors 0)
  • 52 mins: Alex NEWBY (ALTRINCHAM 4 Solihull Moors 0)
  • 76 mins: Justin AMALUZOR (ALTRINCHAM 5 Solihull Moors 0)
  • 88 mins: Kade CRAIG (ALTRINCHAM 5 Solihull Moors 1)
  • 90(+5) mins: Regan LINNEY (ALTRINCHAM 6 Solihull Moors 1)

REFEREE: Ms Kirsty Dowle

ATTENDANCE: 2,041 (99 in away section)


Altrincham made three changes, with both centre-backs being replaced and striker Marcus Dackers given his debut, on loan from Salford City. He replaced Gerald Sithole. The centre-backs, Baines and Cooper, were replaced by James Jones and Sam Roscoe, the latter having only played for seven minutes in the last ten league fixtures.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 29. Ethan Ross, 2. Lewis Banks, 5. James Jones (c), 16. Sam Roscoe, 3. Eddy Jones, 6. Elliot Osborne, 8. Isaac Marriott, 11. Justin Amaluzor, 30. Alex Newby, 10. Chris Conn-Clarke, 25. Marcus Dackers. Subs: 9. Regan Linney, 14. Dior Angus, 19. George Wilson, 15. Jake Cooper, 17. Justin Donawa

SOLIHULL MOORS (Dark and light blue shirts, dark blue shorts and socks): 32. Sam Hornby, 4. Jamey Osborne, 2. James Clarke, 19. Richard Stearman, 10. Josh Kelly, 12. Gus Mafuta, 8. Callum Maycock, 17. Joss Labadie, 20. Jay Benn, 9. Mark Beck, 6. Kyle Morrison. Subs: 11. Matty Warburton, 18. Jon Benton, 14. Jack Stevens, 33. DJ Campton-Sturridge, 27. Kade Craig.


Both sides arrived out of form, with the Moors losing their last two matches, both on home turf, whilst Altrincham had lost their brace of away games on the road in the past week. Nevertheless both clubs were still in the play-off places at kick-off.


After changing ends, Altrincham kicked off towards the away end, on a pitch still showing some signs of the overnight frost, especially in the shadow of the Community Sports Hall.

Inside fifteen seconds, Altrincham won the game's first corner, on the right, and a second followed soon afterwards when debutant Dackers won a header which led to Amaluzor earning the flag-kick (4 mins). Taken short, this was a wasted opportunity.

A third corner arrived a little while later when a cross from the right was almost headed home by a diving Dackers. Alty's pressure continued as Newby had a shot blocked.

But then Solihull threatened when a ball over the top evaded Roscoe, allowing Kelly to get free but Ross did well to block the forward's effort (10 mins). Immediately play switched and an effort by Conn-Clarke from the edge of the box went narrowly wide of the keeper's left-hand upright.

Next it was deja vu as another ball over the top got Kelly in on goal behind Roscoe. This time his shot was deflected and looped across the box to the back post where a team-mate Maycock could only turn the ball into the side netting (12 mins). And, shortly afterwards, Jamey Osborne's well-struck shot from twenty yards flew narrowly wide to Ross's right.

But despite these three threats, it was to be Altrincham who took the lead. Dackers fed Newby whose shot was blocked but the ball fell for Dackers to net from an acute angle, right of goal, on his debut (14 mins).

Play went from end to end as Maycock now won the Moors a corner before Dackers' well-hit shot flew narrowly wide (17 mins).

Conn-Clarke was then much involved, firing well wide before being halted as he got forward and, after that, having a shot blocked (20 mins).

Play continued in that vein as Beck headed an effort to Ross before Amaluzor won a corner at the other end (22 mins). The corner was nodded over the bar by James Jones.

Next, Marriott had to be alert to come across and halt Clarke, at the cost of a corner, as the Solihull man got behind Eddy Jones.

Alty responded by winning their own corner when a foul on Dackers led to Conn-Clarke's short freekick to Amaluzor whose fierce shot was deflected out of play (30 mins).

Alty were now on top but Dackers was brought down, without winning the penalty he sought, before another Conn-Clarke shot flew well off target (33 mins).

Labadie became the first booked player after he brought down Osborne (38 mins). As Osborne recovered, James Jones had a go at Newby whose mispass as he came out of the box had led to the foul on Osnorne.

Mafuta gained the visitors a corner from a deflection but it was not long before the Moors fell two goals down. Osborne's long pass fed Amaluzor who drifted in from the right before firing a shot intothe far corner (41 mins).

Two minutes later it was 3-0 when Conn-Clarke and Newby fed Dackers whose on-target shot was half blocked, the ball spinning back into the path of Conn-Clarke who scored from ten yards or so (43 mins).

As Labadie was treated, four added minutes were decreed. Three minutes into that spell Conn-Clarke executed an audacious lob from twenty yards which only just cleared the bar, landing on the roof of the net. The end to the half finally came as the stadium clock showed 50 minutes and 32 seconds of elapsed time.


Solihull kicked off towards the Golf Road and an early fine shot from thirty yards by Jamey Osborne was well held by Ross (46 mins).

Likewise, his counterpart in the Moors goal did well to hold cleanly a 25-yard dipper from Conn-Clarke (50 mins). Soon afterwards a smart Alty move, from right to left, culminated in a superb curling strike from the left into the upper reaches of the net, executed by Newby making it 4-0 (52 mins).

Soon after the restart, Conn-Clarke had a shot saved before another blow befell the Moors as Craig had to replace the stricken Benn (54 mins). Five minutes later Matty Warburton replaced veteran ex-Wolves defender, Stearman.

Solihull now enjoyed a better spell as Altrincham took their foot off the gas. But, soon on a counter-attack, Conn-Clarke was unable to convert a decent chance, his effort being blocked (64 mins). At this stage the Moors best effort came when Warburton was played in but shot narrowly wide (69 mins).

Warburton then forced a save from Ross before a Moors player was allowed to get to the right byline and win a corner but nothing came of this. Next, Donawa, who had just returned from international duty for Bermuda, took to the field in place of Newby (73 mins).

Altrincham made it 5-0 when Amaluzor advanced on the left before executing a clever chip over the keeper from left of goal (76 mins).

George Wilson then made his first appearance since missing 13 games through injury, as he replaced Conn-Clarke (77 mins). Two minutes later Linney replaced Amaluzor.

Despite their large deficit, Solihull kept going and got a consolation goal when a cross from the right was headed by Craig. The ball struck Banks and wrong-footed Ross, making it 5-1 (88 mins).

Five minutes of added time were proclaimed and, in the third of these, Linney went close from his left-wing position. He had less than two minutes to wait before he did find the net. A raking pass from Donawa set him running at Clarke, the right-bank ending on the ground, as Linney got past him and scored with a well-hit shot across the keeper, also from left of goal (90+5 mins).

So the Moors sank to a third successive defeat as their indifferent run continued after starting the season unbeaten in 14 matches. For Alty it was a second 6-1 win of the season as they produced a much improved showing after a poor midweek showing at Rochdale.