Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Saturday, 26 August, 2023 at 3pm.


Two late goals from substitute Dior Angus, wathched by his father Terry the legendary Nuneaton Borough defender, gave Altrincham an utimately deserved win against a Chesterfield side which had dominated the first half without seriously troubling Alty keeper Ethan Ross.

The Spireites took a sixteenth-minute lead as Alty once more showed their weakness at corners when Grimes rose high to head home at the back post.

But Altrincham raised their game towards the end of the first half and had the better of the match after the break. But neither goalkeeper saw much action until Angus drove home the equaliser from an excellent Amaluzor feed(84 mins). From then on Chesterfield were decidedly second best.

It could have been 3-1 as Linney forced a fine save and also narrowly missed the target before Angus struck again in the fourth added minute to cue delirium for the home fans and a slow exodus to the exit for the visiting supporters.


  • 16`mins: Jamie GRIMES (ALTRINCHAM 0 Chesterfield 1)
  • 84 mins: Dior ANGUS (ALTRINCHAM 1 Chesterfield 1)
  • 90(+4) mins: Dior ANGUS (ALTRINCHAM 2 Chesterfield 1)

REFEREE: Mr Sam Mulhall

ATTENDANCE: 2,714 (1,047 in away section)


Alty made one change as Banks replaced Cooper in the back line, whilst Chesterfield made three changes.

Carrying a knock, Ryan Colclough dropped to the bench as did the injured Sheckleford and striker Griggs. In came Kings, Jacobs and Quigley.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 29. Ethan Ross, 2. Lewis Banks, 3. Eddy Jones, 8. Isaac Marriott, 5. James Jones (c), 7. Matty Kosylo, 6. Elliot Osborne, 9. Regan Linney, 10. Chris Conn-Clarke, 11. Justin Amaluzor, 16. Sam Roscoe. Subs: 6. Lewis Baines, 14. Dior Angus, 15. Jake Cooper, 19. George Wilson, 22. Joey Jones.

CHESTERFIELD (All blue): 1. Harry Tyrer 20. Jeff King, 21. Ash Palmer, 5. Jamie Grimes (c), 3. Branden Horton, 4. Tom Naylor, 8. Darren Oldaker, 7. Liam Mandeville, 17. Armando Dobra, 10. Michael Jacobs, 27. Joe Quigley, Subs: 28. Ollie Banks, 12. Tyrone Williams, 18. James Berry, 9. Will Grigg, 11. Ryan Colclough,


At kick-off, both sides remained unbeaten after four games this season.


The afternoon started with a tribute by Club President Grahame Rowley to the late Mark Maddox and then a minute's applause for the former Alty captain, as well as for ex-player Barry Howard, who had also died recently.

Chesterfield kicked off attacking the Golf Road end, with more than a thousand travelling supporters located behind them in the away end.

The opening minutes were fairly even and uneventful before the Spireites began to dominate possession.

A Horton cross earned the game's first corner (10 mins) but it was Tyrer who was the first keeper in serious action as he dived full length to cut out a low Amaluzor cross from the right (13 mins).

Two more corners arrived in succession and from the second, taken from the left by Mandeville, Grimes rose unhindered at the back post to power a header into the net to give his side the lead (16 mins).

No one could argue that the score at this stage was not a reflection of the game.

Chesterfield's fourth corner arrived after 22 minutes, soon followed by a booking for Jeff King for clattering Kosylo (24 mins).

At last Altrincham got forward when a multi-pass move culminated in Conn-Clarke firing narrowly wide (28 mins).

The visiting fans were vocal at this stage as they no doubt invisaged a comfortable victory based on their team's dominance so far.

But, throughout the game, Chesterfield were far from shy when it came to robust challenges and it was Dobra who was next in the book for fouling the lively Amaluzor (33 mins).

Indeed, this appraoch continued immediately as former Stockport defender Ash Palmer was added to the ref's list of miscreants as he tripped the unfortunate Kosylo (34 mins).

For all their dominance the visitors had not troubled Ross at all, apart from the goal, but his opposite number had to be on his guard from the resulting freekick by Eddy Jones; however, the threat came to nothing. Manager Paul Cook then became the fourth Chesterfield man booked as his continuous verbal commentary became too much for the man in black (37 mins).

As half-time approached, Altrincham enjoyed their best spell of the game so far. But the home cause was not helped by Linney finding himself off-side for the third time in the afternoon. Three minutes of added time began with a spat between Oldaker and Linney for which a lecture was deemed the only punishment (45+2 mins).


After Altrincham had kicked off, Amaluzor got in an early shot which took a deflection but was deemed to have produced a goalkick. Altrincham went on to start the second half the better side, albeit a 56th minute corner the most they had to show for it.

The match was lacking in goalmouth action and neither keeper had anything significant to do before the hour mark. Soon, Kosylo was perhaps fortunate to avoid a card for a gratuitous tug on goalkeeper Tyrer (62 mins).

Two minutes later Dior Angus came on for Kosylo, who limped off to the sidelines (64 mins). Osborne soon put in a tempting low ball across the opposition goalmouth as the midfielder had a generally good game with some excellent long-range passing. Next, Tyrer was called into action by Banks as Alty retained the upper hand (66 mins).

Paul Cook made a double change bringing on two ex-Alty players in Berry and Colclough for Jacobs and Dobra (69 mins). Curiously, for Alty's home fans it was a first sight of Berry who had only ever played a substitute's role in two pre-season games for the Robins.

Jeff King's theatrical rolling about holding his head contrived to get Linney booked on halfway. Unsurprisingly the third ex-Alty man in the Spireites squad made a remarkable recovery which meant he could take the freekick himself (74 mins).

Chesterfield continued to make robust challenge and Naylor became their fifth booking after upending Conn-Clarke (79 mins). James Jones got his end on the end of Eddy Jones's freekick but his side's call sfor a corner went unanswered.

With 80 minutes on the clock, Chesterfield introduced Ollie Banks for Oldaker.

Altrincham now went on to dominate the final period of the match. First, Osborne fired narrowly over the bar (82 mins) before an excellent Alty passing move ended in appeals for handball which went unanswered (83 mins). But the pressure told soon afterwards and, from a Amaluzor feed, Angus fired home strongly from the edge of the box to equalise with a low drive (84 mins).

When Mandeville went down, apprently believing he had been fouled, he grabbed the ball, only to be penalised with a freekick but surprisingly no booking for deliberate handball (85 mins). The already booked Palmer than felled Conn-Clarke without further punishment (86 mins).

Next, Linney forced a fine save from Tyrer, the keeper using his legs to block the shot. With Alty well on top Amaluzor advanced and the ball came to Angus but his shot was underpowered. Amaluzor needed treatment after this (87 mins).

The break for treatment allowed Chesterfield to catch their breath and, on the resumption, they won a corner (90 mins)> Five added minutes were decreed and, in the second of these, Marriott gave way to Wilson (90+2 mins).

Alty's late pressure next gave Linney a clear shot of goal but his well-struck shot hit the side netting (90+3 mins). But there was still time for Altrincham to secure an ultimately deserved win against a Chesterfield side which offered little in the second half, especially in the latter stages.

Again Angus swept the ball home, low, albeit from closer than his first goal. This time the goal came after Conn-Clarke's effort had been blocked before Angus found the net, to send the home support into rapture, as well as his team-mates, with even keeper Ross racing 100 yards to join in the celebration (90+4 mins).

At the other end, Chesterfield fans began to trudge towards the exit as for the second time in a week they had lost a lead in the closing stages.

So Alty remain unbeaten after five games and in all five fixtures they could have secured maximum points.