Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Tuesday, 10 May 2022 at 3pm


Following a bright start by the much depleted Alty side, they nevertheless fell behind after 17 minutes when Cooper's attempted clearing header fell for Bloomfield, whose shot seemed to deceive goalkeeper Gould and find the back of the net (17 mins). Alty almost levelled immediately but Hall's diving header narrowly cleared the bar.

Alty showed some decent approach play but lacked a punch in the forward areas and they still trailed 1-0 at the break.

Altrincham enjoyed plenty of possession in the second half but without threatening to score until Mooney netted a deserved leveller in the 87th minute. The match never reached great heights of excitement but Alty's makeshift team had shown good spirit to earn a draw against a Bromley side whose second-half showing, in particular, perhaps suggested they had one eye on the FA Trophy final in twelve days' time.


REFEREE: Mr Robert Whitton



Altrincham again fielded a very depleted side. Having been without their three leading scorers, Ryan Colclough, Matty Kosylo and Josh Hancock, as well as another forward in Jordan Hulme, when they faced Notts County last time out, the four men were again missing tonight.

The changes saw Gould, Densmore, Hannigan and Moult came in as Thompson, Ferguson, Mullarkey and Perritt dropped out, though Ferguson and Perritt were on the bench

Phil Parkinson had again indicated that he wanted to give fringe players game time but the long midweek trek to Bromley may also have accounted for the absence of some players who would be leaving the club because of its decision to go full-time next season.

Bromley also made several changes, including one after the teamsheets had been issued as Arthurs replaced Vennings.


BROMLEY (All white) 13. Ellery Balcombe, 2. Joe Partington, 4. Billy Bingham 5. Chris Bush, 10. James Alabi, 8 Jude Arthurs, 14. Mason Enigbokan-Bloomfield, 16. Liam Trotter, 19. Harry Forster 7. Luke Coulson, 17. Byron Webster (c). Subs: 6. Omar Sowunmi, 11, Louis Dennis, 18. Corey Whitely, 21. James Vennings, 22. George Alexander.

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts and socks and blue shorts) 21. Matt Gould, 2. Shaun Densmore, 5. Tom Hannigan, 6. Jake Moult, (c), 7. Dan Mooney, 8. Elliot Osborne, 14. Jake Cooper, 17. Ben Pringle, 26. Kole Hall, 28. Eddy Jones, 32. Isaac Marriott. Subs: 19. Jamie Morgan, 23. Harry Perritt, 24. Kyle Ferguson, 34. Hayden Campbell, 37. Ryan Morton.


This final away match of the season had been moved to midweek following Bromley's FA Trophy run which had taken them to the Final on 22 May. This was Alty's only fixture on an artificial surface this season in the National League and their penultimate game of an overall successful season.


Alty started quite well and, after Marriott had found Pringle, his low ball into the box earned an early corner (5 mins). This caused Bromley some problems but the threat ended as Marriott's effort cleared the bar.

Two Alty freekicks in succession were, likewise, unable to produce a goal threat as the visitors enjoyed the better of the opening period (15 mins). But it was to be the hosts who took the lead in the seventeenth minute. Heading a ball that he might have let go, Perritt's attempted clearance instead fell for Bromley and Bloomfield scored, though Gould might have done better to keep his shot out.

Moments later Alty spurned a good chance as a fine cross from Densmore led to Hall's diving header, which cleared the bar, much to the striker's annoyance, as he sought his first goal for The Robins. But play soon switched to the other end where Gould now made a fine save before Arthurs's shot came back off the cross bar (24 mins).

End to end play continued as an excellent passing move for Alty culminated in a Mooney curler which went just wide (26 mins)>

Bromley then began to gain the upper hand and former Tranmere forward Alabi went close with an effort, which just cleared the bar. Gould then made another good stop, from Trotter, but the offside flag had been raised in any case (32 mins). Next ,a home corner was dealt with, before a foul by Marriott on the advancing Forster gave the Ravens a dangerous freekick, just outside the "D", but also earned Marriott a yellow card (41 mins).

Partington's freekick hit the cross bar before Gould's erratic form manifested itself again as he needed two attempts to halt a subsequent Bromley shot (42 mins). Two added minutes witnessed a promising Alty move, which only ended with the ball in keeper Balcombe's hands before Forster failed to capitalise on a chance at the Alty end, inside the box, just before the break.

Half-Time: BROMLEY 1

Altrincham, as in the first half, started the second period the better side with an early corner (49 mins), followed by plenty of possession (55 mins).

With drizzle now falling, Bromley had an Arthurs shot clear the bar before the Ravens made a double swap; Sowunmi replaced Partington and Dennis returned from injury to replace Forster (63 mins).

After a few minutes in which Alty enjoyed possession, Ferguson was brought on at centre-back instead of Hannigan, who had played well after missing eighteen games following injury (67 mins).

Poor defending then alowed Trotter a volley but he put his shot wide before, at the other end, Osborne fired over the bar as Alty continued to shoot off-beam.

Bloomfield soon picked up a card, for a foul on Moult (70 mins), just before Alty brought on Salford City loanee Campbell to replace Marriott (73 mins).

After an Alty corner, Whiteley replaced Bromley's Arthurs (78 mins). Next, Alty's best chance of the game to date arrived from the unexpected source of Moult who, from a Pringle feed, shot only narrowly wide (79 mins).

Next, Alty Academy player Ryan Morton made his debut in place of Hall (79 mins). But Gould's up and down game continued as he gave the ball away when he attenpted to deal with a Densmore backpass. Cooper then ducked to try to avoid an aerial ball but, inadvertently, he conceded a corner in the process (84 mins) and Gould rode his luck to clear the ball from the set piece.

However, as it began to look as if Alty would face the long trip home with no reward for a decent performance, Dan Mooney fired home a low shot, his twelfth league goal of the campaign (87 mins).

But there was soon danger at the other end as Gould took a touch too many and Coulson got in but a goalkick resulted to the keeper's relief (89 mins). As the game went into five added minutes, a Jones error gave Bromley a late corner but a foul on Ferguson resulted and Alty comfortably emerged with a deserved point with their makeshift side having shown plenty of spirit.

Bromley's poor run had now been extended to two wins in seventeen league outings ahead of their big day at Wembley.

Full Time: BROMLEY 1