Return to News Page

BARNET (0) 1

Vanarama National League match
played on Monday, 2 May 2022 at 3pm


A lacklustre performance from Altrincham, particularly in a dreary second half, prevented them moving up to thirteenth in the table as they emerged with a disappointing draw.

The game started well enough with a fairly entertaining first half in which Altrincham twice hit the woodwork but they did manage to take a 22nd minute lead through a fine shot from Mooney. However, they were soon indebted to Mullarkey for a clearance off the line as Barnet were far from out of the game.

But the second half was pretty dire stuff after Barnet had netted a deserved equaliser on 53 minutes when Marriott's 25 yarder seemed to bamboozle Thompson as it sailed past him in the centre of the goal.

During the second half, injuries to White and Colclough, which forced their withdrawal, did not help the Robins' game to flow and, by the closing stages, Barnet's timewasting cleared signalled their happiness with a point.


REFEREE: Mr Olie Yates

ATTENDANCE: 1,864 (104 in away section)_

Matty Kosylo was not available and there were continued absences for Jordan Hulme and Tom Hannigan. So ex-Radcliffe man Kole Hall came in for his first start as the lone striker whilst there was more defensive tinkering as Mullarkey and White rotated with Perritt and Cooper who moved to the bench.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, white socks): 1. Tony Thompson (c), 20. Andy White, 25. Toby Mullarkey, 24. Kyle Ferguson, 28. Eddy Jones, 8. Elliot Osborne, 32. Isaac Marriott, 7. Dan Mooney, 11. Ryan Colclough, 10. Josh Hancock, 26. Kole Hall. Subs: 23. Harry Perritt, 14. Jake Cooper, 17. Ben Pringle, 6. Jake Moult, 34. Hayden Campbell

BARNET (Amber shirts, white shorts, black socks) 25. Aymen Azaze, 3. Teddy Howe, 6. Ben Richards-Everton, 7. Rob Hall, 8. Ross Marshall, 10. Daniel Powell, 11. Ephron Mason-Clark, 14. Adam Marriott, 18. Wesley Fonguck, 19. Harry Taylor (c), 33. Ryan De Havilland. Subs: 9. Louis Walsh, 12. James Callan (gk), 17. Sam Granville, 20. Serhat Tasdemir, 22. Antonis Vasiliou.


Barnet arrived in Cheshire with just one win in their last six matches and they sat third bottom of the form guide with four points from those games, leaving them 18th in the National League table. Their Achilles heel had been their defence with their 81 goals conceded being the most leaked by any club except Weymouth and Dover, who had each played one game more than The Bees.

Altrincham lay fourteenth at kick off following their narrow win at Dover 48 hours earlier.


On a dull afternoon, Altrincham kicked off towards the away end. The first goal threat came in the fourth minute as Colclough cut in from the left but his well hit shot went across goal and narrowly wide.

But Barnet nearly took the lead when a low cross by Powell, from the right, was diverted towards his own goal by a stretching Mullarkey but he just about managed to recover to hook the ball clear from a prostrate position (5 mins). The lively start continued a Colclough again cut in from the left and, again, fired across goal (6 mins).

After Powell had had a shot blocked, Hall and Hancock fed Colclough for his third effort at goal. This time his rasping shot was on target but it was saved by Azaze at the cost of a corner (11 mins). The evntful start continued as Mooney's corner led to Mullarkey stabbing the ball against the crossbar (12 mins).

Five minutes later, via Jones and Colclough, a fine shot from Mooney also struck the bar, this time from 15 yards (17 mins).

Barnet repsonded by winning a corner after a poor clearance by Thompson had gone to the opposition (19 mins).

Isaac Marriott then set Mooney free but, rather than pass to a team-mate, the winger took a shot which was blocked (21 mins).

But Mooney was not to be denied and, a minute later, he interchanged passes wih Hall before curling home a shot just inside the far post from 15 yards (22 mins). Barnet replied by winning two corners, with Thompson flapping at the first which allowed Marriott a shot, which was fortuitously blocked (25 mins).

Barnet continued to look for a leveller and their pressure drew a foul from Jones on the right edge of the box, for which the defender was booked (31 mins). As they attacked again, Powell got free but he shot weakly at Thompson (4 mins).

Another Barnet corner arrived and, again, Thompson was found lacking as he missed the ball completely. However, Alty improved before the break and Hall got in a good shot but this was saved (40 mins). Moments later Colclough turned smartly and forced Azaze to beat away his effort (41 mins). The lively Mason-Clark then wasted a good opening, at the other end, as he fired well over the bar from 20 yards or more (42 mins).

Altrincham won two late corners but nothing came of these as they went into the interval with a 1-0 lead against a Barnet side which was still well in the game.


Barnet kicked off but, as in the first half, the first effort on goal came from Colclough which, this time, prompted an easy save by Azaze (46 mins).

Colclough repeated the act two minutes later, again without uccess.

But Alty were lucky to escape at the back when a low cross from the left was cleared by Jones against his goalkeeper and the ball came down off the underside of the crossbar before being cleared (49 mins).

Afdter Colclough had fired across goal rather than at it, for at least the third time in the afternoon, Barnet equalised. Marriott found himself in space, in a central psiition some 25 yards out, and his swerving shot beat Thompson all ends up as it flew into the cnetre of the net.

Thompson stayed down and needed treatment to his left ankle before resuming. The equaliser was deserved (53 mins).

To be frank, the remaining 40 minutes of the game were pretty dire. Barnet won two corners by the hour mark, as the visitors had Alty on the back foot.

White then injured himself in a 50-50 clash at the Barnet end of the pitch and, after treatment, he had to limp off to be replaced by Perrett (65 mins).

Alty soon also lost Colclough to injury with the resulting ten men earning a corner before Pringle replaced him (72 mins).

Barnet now introduced Walsh for Hall (75 mins).

Barnet continued to have the upper hand, without producing very much, before Alty won a corner which, in keeping with the game at this stage, was disappointing (80 mins).

Mpult soon replaced Hancock (83 mins) befowr Hall got in a shot which went for a corner but the referee erroneously thought otherwise.

At last Alty put together a good move, in the 89th minute, which ended with Hall heading a Mooney cross wide.

Barnet time wasted their way through five added minutes as the final whistle brought a merciful end to one of the worst 45 minutes witnessed at Moss Lane recently.