Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Tuesday, 8 March 2022 at 7.45pm


Altrincham moved up three places to fourteenth after this comprehensive victory over Weymouth.

After Weymouth had spurned a couple of early chances with Smith and Goodship each shooting at Drench, Matty Kosylo gave Altrincham a tenth-minute lead. He drove the ball impressively into the far top corner from an acute angle, left of goal, after beating a defender.

It soon became 2-0 when Colclough did well and fed the unmarked Kosylo who, from 20 yards, curled the ball past Fitzsimons in the 15th minute. It was his fourth goal against the Terras this season.

Shortly after a second stoppage for a clash of heads, a Mooney cross was headed downwards into the net by Jake Cooper to make it 3-0 (27 mins). After the visitors had almost netted an own goal, Weymouth conceded again just before the break as Hulme laid the ball off for Colclough to bend the ball into the top corner to make it 4-0 (45+5 mins). In all, seven minutes of added time were needed before the interval.

In the second half, Weymouth did not give up but Altrincham could have added a goal but for a fine Fitzsimons save from Osborne after 81 minutes. However, Alty did make it 5-0 in the 87th minute when Mooney finished off a good move up the left.


REFEREE: Mr Garreth Rhodes

ATTENDANCE: 1,613 (36 away supporters)


Altrincham were again without goalkeeper Tony Thompson so Steven Drench was again in goal in an unchanged starting eleven. Josh Hancock returned on the bench at the expense of Shaun Densmore.

Weymouth made four changes as Bradley Ash, Omar Mussa, Josh McQuoid, Manasse Mampala dropped to the bench and were replaced by Bearwish, Blair, Murray and Goodship, who all started.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, white socks): 30. Steven Drench, 23. Harry Perritt, 25. Toby Mullarkey, 14. Jake Cooper, 28. Eddy Jones, 8. Elliot Osborne, 32. Isaac Marriott, 7. Dan Mooney, 15. Matty Kosylo, 11. Ryan Colclough, 29. Jordan Hulme (c). Subs: 10. Josh Hancock, 24. Kyle Ferguson, 17. Ben Pringle, 20. Andy White, 27. A-Jay Leitch-Smith.

WEYMOUTH (All blue): 1. Ross Fitzsimons, 6. Tyler Cordner, 17. Aaron Drewe, 12. Haji Mnoga, 14. Tom Bearwish, 20. Tom Blair, 21. Harvey Bunker, 23. Cameron Murray, 26. Ollie Harfield, 28. Dan Smith, 7. Brandon Goodship. Subs: 11. Bradley Ash, 8. Omar Mussa, 10. Josh McQuoid, 18. Manasse Mampala, 27. Ahkeem Rose.


Alty's recent long, winless run had been converted in February/March into a sequence of one defeat in five outings last weekend, when a goalless draw was secured at Maidenhead.

This match had been scheduled for a fortnight or more earlier but had been postponed when Weymouth were advised not to travel because of Storm Eunice. The Terras remained nine points from safety and twelve points behins Altrincham following their home defeat to FC Halifax Town last weekend.


It was Weymouth who had the better of the opening period and, after Marriott had lost possession, Smith shot straight at Drench (3 mins). At the other end Alty responded when Colcough beat his man and, via Kosylo and Jones, the ball was played just behind Hulme, to the visitors' relief (4 mins).

Murray then beat two men and earned a freekick which gave Smith another chance but Drench collected his shot (7 mins). Drench was soon forced into his third early save when he dealt with a 25-yarder from the Terras in just the eighth minute.

But arguably, somewhat against the early run of play, Altrincham took the lead with a very impressive goal. From the left Colclough fed Kosylo got past a defender on the byline before firing a superb shot into the top, far corner of the net from an acute angle (10 mins).

And the lead was doubled just five minutes later as Colclough advanced on the left and fed the unmarked Kosylo who, inside the "D", curled a shot past Fitzsimons from 20 yards; this brace by Kosylo brought his tally to four scored against Weymouth this season out of his total of six goals, to date, in the league (15 mins).

The game was then interrupted by two lengthy injury pauses caused by clashes of heads. In the first, following an Alty corner, Mullarkey and Smith needed attention with the Weymouth man coming off the worse and, just a few minutes later, there was a repeat (24 mins).

ALtrincham added a third goal when Mooney's excellent freekick from wide right, after a foul on Kosylo, was glanced downnwards and into the far corner of the net by centre-back Cooper (27 mins). By now both Smith and Murray were wearing head bandages and Weymouth's night went from bad to worse, despite their not actually playing partiucularly badly, when Bunker went down and had to be substituted by Mussa (35 mins).

Alty continued to threaten with both Colclough and Mooney threatening from the wings whilst Hulme was proving a handful at the front of the attack.

Mooney won a corner (44 mins) before a seven-minute period of added time was signalled. In the fifth of those, Hulme fed Colclough, who bent an excellent shot into the to corner of the net. Fitzsimons had not made any significant errors but the visitors' keeper had been betaen four times in the first half now (45+5 mins).


Weymouth brought on Rose for the battered Smith at the start of the second half. Alty won an early corner (50 mins) but they suffered an injury blow when Peritt had to be replaced in the back line by White (54 mins). Weymouth started the half quite well but without seriously threaening a goal, before Hulme laid on a chance for Mooney. However, his shot was too close to the keeper (63 mins).

On 66 minutes McQuoid came on for Blair, after which Alty won a corner from which Mullarkey won a header and fellow defender Cooper hooked the ball over the bar (68 mins).

Weymouth did not give up but they were making little headway before Leitch-Smith came on for Hulme (75 mins). Soon afterwards, Pringle replaced Kosylo (80 mins).

Alty finally added a fifth goal in the 87th minute when, a good move up the left ended with Jonesplaying the ball, right, to Pringle who, in turn, laid it further right to Mooney who made it 5-0. McQuoid got himself a needless booking just before the end.

The closing stages saw Alty comfortably retain their clean sheet. After only recording shut-outs twice in their first 27 games of this season, they have now record three clean sheets in succession and four in the last five fixtures which is remarkable, especially when the last two have been recorded without their first-choice keeper.

At the other ened, the five goals make Alty he seventh highst scorers despite being now in fourteenth position. This was an impressive performance which almost certainly drives a conclusive nail into the Terras' hopes of remaining in the National League next season.