Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Saturday, 20 November, 2021 at 3pm


Weymouth suffered a red card midway through the first half, for the second game running, as Tom Bearwish saw red after 23 minutes.

ALty took advantage as Colclough put his side ahead (34 mins). Two Altrincham goals in three minutes just before the hour mark settled the game. First Kosylo netted after Peers had been denied and then Colclough netted his second (60 mins).

But almost immediately Olomowewe pulled a goal back as Alty failed to keep a clean sheet for the sixth successive league game.

Altrincham wound up the game in the 89th minute when Kosylo completed his brace (89 mins).


REFEREE: Mr Daniel Lamport



Jake Moult was a surprise absentee with Thompson assuming the captaincy in his stead. There was a full league debut for Whitehead.

Ollie Harfield was suspended whilst Martell Taylor-Crossdale and Tom Blair started. Taylor-Crossdale made a full debut after four substitute appearances. Brandon Goodship, Sean Shields and Cameron Murray were rested to the starting eleven.


WEYMOUTH (Terracotta and light blue): 1. Ross Fitzsimons, 6. Tyler Cordner, 7. Brandon Goodship, 15. Josh Leslie-Smith, 10. Josh McQuoid (c), 14. Tom Bearwish, 19. Martell Taylor-Crossdale, 20.Tom Blair, 23. Cameron Murray 30. Taofiq Olomowewe, 32. Sean Shields. Subs: 5. Ben Morgan, 8. Omar Mussa, 11. Bradley Ash. 16. Andy Robinson, 27. Ahkeem Rose,

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts, blue shorts, yellow socks): 1. Tony THOMPSON (c), 24. Joel SENIOR, 25. Toby MULLARKEY, 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 19. David FITZPATRICK, 29. Daniel WHITEHEAD, 8. Adam PORTER, 15. Matty KOSYLO, 7. Dan MOONEY, 11. Ryan COLCLOUGH, 9. Marcus DINANGA. Subs: 3. Connor HAMPSON, 17. Ben PRINGLE, 18 Kennedy DIGIE, 23.Tom PEERS,27.A-Jay LEITCH-SMITH.


This game brought together two out of form sides. Whilst Alty had won just once (in the FA Cup) in their last eight matches, The Terras had lost their last four league games and taken just two points out of the last 21 available. In league matches, Alty were currently on a run of five games without a win, a sequence which comprised two draws and three defeats by a single-goal margin.

Last season the two clubs hadreturned to the National League with Altrincham finishing seventeenth and Weymouth eighteenth, albeit there was an eight-point gap between their tallies.

In 2020-21 the season opened at a sodden Moss Lane with a drab goalless draw between the two newly promoted clubs; in May 2021, Weymouth won the return fixture 2-1.

Three of Altrincham's six league victories this season had been against clubs in the bottom five; at kick-off Weymouth were sixth from bottom!

It had been a bad week for Altrincham. A very poor performance in midweek had seen Altrincham knocked out of the FA Cup by lower league Gateshead and the club had been hit by severe restrictions on their stadium capacity amid health and safety concerns.


Weymouth started brightly and when Blair gained a corner, Olomowewe headed to Tony Thompson.

Altrincham settled as they saw Whitehead fire over the bar as the visitors improved before Mooney forced a save from Fitzsimons. But Weymouth tested Thompson as Goodship forced a decent save from Thompson (19 mins).

For the second successive game the Terras suffered a red card midway through the first half when Tom Bearwish was sent off for a "last man" foul on Kosylo after a counter attack from a home corner (23 mins). Bearwish had slipped and then brought down the Alty winger s he got free.

Altrincham took advantage after 34 minutes when Colclough cut inside from the left and curled a rising, right-footed shot past the keeper to put his side ahead.

The Terras did win a corner soon afterwards but McQuoid was then booked for a foul (41 mins).

Just before the interval Dinanaga did well to win a corner but half-time arrived with the score at 0-1.

Half-Time: WEYMOUTH 0

At the break Mooney was replaced by Peers.

But it was not too long before Alty doubled their lead, after a Peers effort had been well saved but not held by Fitzsimmons, and Kosylo netted the loose ball (57 mins).

Soon Ash replaced Taylor-Crossdale for Weymouth (58 mins)

Next a Peers effort was blocked but soon afterwards Colckough made it 3-0 with a left foot shot into the corner of the net after he had again cut in from the wing (60 mins).

However, following a short corner, Olowuwewe scored with a header off which went in off the bar soon afterwards to give the hosts some hope (62 mins). The goal lifted the home side before Alty shored up at the back with Hampson replacing Colcough (71 mins). It was the injury hit left-back's first appearance this season in an outfield position, having previously come on as a substitute goalkeeper.

Altrincham went close again as Kosylo struck the bar (72 mins).

Next, Pringle replaced Fitzpatrick (79 mins) and a double change for the hosts saw Josh McQuoid and Sean Shields give way to Ahkeem Rose and Omar Mussa (79 mins).

Inside the final ten minutes Dinanga was caught offside before he fired a shot over the bar (85 mins).

Alty wrapped up the game with a fourth goal in the 89th minute from Kosylo who finished off a Senior cross after a Porter effort had come back off the bar (89 mins).

Full Time: WEYMOUTH 1