Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Saturday, 25 September, 2021 at 3pm


Altrincham faced a Notts County side fielding two new loanees to replace their injured keeper and centre-back. But Alty themselves were without the injured Kirby and suspended Jackson.

Alty took a 29th minute lead as Colcough's shot was turned home by Dinanga. They then weathered a fair amount of pressure from the visitors but held out for a memorable three points.


REFEREE: Mr Jacob Miles
ATTENDANCE: 2,569 (842 in away end)

Having lost Connor Kirby to injury and Brad Jackson to suspension from the side that had faced Wealdstone last time out, Altrincham brought Joe Bunney and Ben Pringle into the starting eleven. So the bench included David Fitzpatrick, and A-Jay Leitch-Smith as they returned from minor knocks.

Notts County were without goalkeeper Sam Slocombe, through injury, so had signed a loan keeper from Sunderland, Anthony Patterson, who started today. Another recent loanee signing, centre-back Ciaran Brennan, also started.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, white socks): 1. Tony THOMPSON, 24. Joel SENIOR, 25. Toby MULLARKEY, 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 29. Joe BUNNEY, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 17. Ben PRINGLE, 7. Dan MOONEY, 11. Ryan COLCLOUGH, 15. Matty KOSYLO, 9. Marcus DINANGA. Subs: 23. Tom PEERS, 10. Josh HANCOCK, 19. David FITZPATRICK, 27. A-Jay LEITCH-SMITH, 28. Dean FURMAN,

NOTTS COUNTY (All pale green): 25. Anthony Patterson; 23. Adam Chicksen, 22. Ciaran Brennan, 2. Richard Brindley; 3. Joel Taylor, 16. Dion Kelly-Evans, 14. Ed Francis, 18. Matt Palmer, 10. Cal Roberts, 20. Ruben Rodrigues; 9. Kyle Wootton. Subs: 7. Kairo Mitchell, 11 Aaron Nemane, 6. Jim O'Brien, 19. Elisha Sam, 17. Frank Vincent


After an enforced fortnight of inaction because of Covid in the ranks, Altrincham faced an unbeaten Notts County who, like the hosts, had been hit by defensive injuries.


Altrincham started well and their first half-chance arose when Dinanga fed Colclough but his shot ended in the side netting (5 mins). However, County's Kelly-Evans soon won a corner, off Bunney (8 mins). This, and a second corner, were dealt with effectively by the home defence.

County continued to press and, after 18 minutes, Taylor's cross ffrom the left found Wootton who headed across goal and wide. The sides now traded shots as Rodrigues fired wide at one end before Mooney's effort was saved by Patterson at the other (21 mins). Then, a Coclough effort was fired across the face of goal from the left (23 mins).

Mooney was impressing for Altrincham but it was a low cross from fellow winger, Colclough, which prompted the breakthrough. His shot was converted from close range by Dinanga to give Altrincham the lead (29 mins), the Alty man gaining the benefit of the doubt as regards offside as he darted ahead of Chicksen to score. However, from good work by Kosylo deep in his own half, it was Mooney's raking pass with the outside of his foot which had set Colclough running up the left to lay on the goal.

In response, after a Wootton shot had narrowly cleared the bar, Mullarkey was booked for a foul on the same visiting player (33 mins).

Following this, an advance by Senior saw him overhit a cross (36 mins). At the other end Palmer volleyed wildly over the bar before Pringle fed Senior who mishit his shot (43 mins). At the back a fine tackle by Bunney halted Rodrigues's attack just before half-time arrived.


There was an early second-half stoppage when Roberts needed treatment following a Pringle challenge (49 mins). But Altrincham soon threatened when a fine move culminated with a Colclough effort, which had to be shovelled past the base of the keeper's right-hand post (52 mins).

The game's first change of personnel was the replacement of Francis by O'Brien for the Magpies (53 mins).

When a foul on Dinanga gave Altrincham a freekick, just outside the box, Colclough put in a fine effort which the keeper saved to his left (56 mins). The visitors made a second change with Nemane replacing Kelly-Evans (59 mins). On the hour Furman made his Alty debut as he replaced Pringle in midfield.

County continued to look for a leveller but Wootton could only place a header straight at Thompson (65 mins). Next, Colcough was booked for a late tackle on Palmer (66 mins).

A minute later Colcough was replaced by Hancock (67 mins). Meanwhile Furman, on his debut, had slotted in well to Pringle's midfield role.

Next, Rodrigues fired narrowly wide, on 70 minutes, before Thompson was booked for time-wasting (71 mins).

Soon Alty made another change as Peers replaced Mooney, who had played well (75 mins). Another change disrupted play when Mitchell replaced Taylor for the visitors, shortly before Dinaga fired well over the bar (78 mins).

Mitchell was soon booked after his boot connected with Mullarkey's head (79 mins). Furman was then booked but County wasted the resulting freekick.

For Alty, Hannigan headed a corner wide (86 mins), before Brindley talked himself into the referee's book (88 mins).

~ Five minutes of added time were proclaimed, during which Roberts was booked for a foul on Dinanga, as Alty held on to secure an impressive three points.