Return to News Page


Pre-season friendly match
played on Saturday, 24 July, 2021 at 3pm<


Having lost 1-0 at West Didsbury & Chorlton at lunchtime, Alty moved north for their second match of the day, this time at Hurst Cross, Ashton under Lyne. Fielding a much stronger side than at Chorlton, Altrincham here deservedly beat Ashton United 2-0, thanks to goals from Dan Mooney and Ryan Colclough.

The scoring was opened when Dan Mooney lobbed the advancing home keeper to make it 1-0 after 19 minutes before a second-half goal from Ryan Colclough made it 2-0 in the 56th minute.

In the closing stages substitute Tom Peers won a penalty but his spot-kick was saved as Alty rode out a fairly comfortable afternoon.


REFEREE: Mr Paul Marsden

Altrincham had kicked off their pre-season just three hours earlier with a game at West Didsbury & Chorlton which had featured an Alty team comprising just two players from last season's squad, one returning loanee and a mixture of new signings and trialists. West won that game 1-0.

The only new face in the Alty starting eleven here at Ashton was trialist David Fitzpatrick, a former Macclesfield Town, Port Vale, Southport and Northwich Victoria left-back. With full-backs Connor Hampson and Andy White both injured, a left-back may feature high on Phil Parkinson's list of new-signing priorities.

On the bench was another trialist Alex Brown, the ex-Buxton and King's Lynn defender. Also on the bench was Fisayo Adarabioyo whose omission from the squad numbers issued recently by Altrincham had implied that he was on his way out of the club. It seems he has now reverted to trialist status after an injury-plagued first season at Moss Lane.

On the Alty bench, hot foot from Chorlton where he had also been named on the bench, was Altrincham FC Academy proiduct Yusuf Adeneyi.

Opponents Ashton featured numerous men with Alty connections including Jack Redshaw, Sam Sheridan, Luke Wall and former loanee Liam Tomsett, whilst former Altrincham reserve Stavros Tserpes was also in the squad.


ASHTON UNITED (Red and white halved shirts, red shorts and socks): 1. Greg Hartley, 2. Waqas Azam, 3. Harry Spratt, 4. Harry Coates, 5. Sam Baird, 6. Sam Sheridan, 7. Ben Hardcastle, 8. Chris Rowney (c), 9. Tom Bentham, 10. Jack Redshaw, 11. Harvey MacAdam. Subs: 12. Tom Warren, 13. Jonty Cottam, 14. Luke Wall, 15. Liam Tomsett, 16. Stavros Tserpes, 17. Nathan Whalley, 18. Michael Raynes, 19. Marcus Wood.

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts and socks, blue shorts): 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Joel SENIOR, 3. David FITZPATRICK, 4. Toby MULLARKEY, 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. Dan MOONEY, 8. Sean WILLIAMS, 9. Josh HANCOCK, 10. Matty KOSYLO, 11. Ryan COLCLOUGH. Subs: 12. Tom PEERS, 14. Alex BROWN, 15. Fisayo ADARABIOYO, Yusuf ADENIYI


Altrincham are playing all of their pre-season games away from home as the new pitch surface at the J. Davidson Stadium beds in.

Alty were wearing their new Puma manufactured away kit for this game.


Kick off was slightly delayed but finally got under way with a youthful local linesman deputising for the named official who was to arrive more than a quarter of an hour later after encountering traffic problems.

Altrincham started well and gained a third-minute corner, which was cleared.

A Jake Moult header cleared the bar (6 mins) as Altrincham took control, with Redshaw's wide effort the host's only threat.

After treatment, the seemingly dazed Coates had to go off and he was replaced by Raynes (22 mins).

Colclough and Kosylo then conspired to feed Hancock, playing in the striker role, but his underpowered shot was saved by Hartley (24 mins).

With Ashton unable to muster any real threat to Thompson's goal, Alty went close as a Colclough freekick was only slightly off target (31 mins). But shortly before half-time Redshaw did have a chance but curled the ball wide (44 mins).


At the break Peers replaced Hancock as the lone striker and Alex Brown, who spent last season at King's Lynn Town, replaced fellow trialist Fitzpatrick at left-back.

Peers was soon involved, feeding Colclough who made it 2-0 (56 mins).

Peers then did well again, intercepting the ball and getting in on goal but Hartley saved well at the cost of a corner (58 mins).

Around the hour mark a Moult trip gave Ashton a freekick and, at the other end, an Alty corner soon followed but neither incident produced a goal threat (61 mins).

Three changes took place around the 65 minute mark. For Ashton, Tomsett and Wall came on and for Alty Adarabioyo replaced Mooney.

Wall soon made an impact as a well-struck shot drew a fine save from Thompson, low to his left (68 mins).

For Ashton, McAdam and Hardcastle combined to put the ball in the Altrincham net but the effort was ruled out for offside (70 mins).

Two more Ashton subs came on as Warren and Tserpes replaced Azam and Spratt (71 mins). Four minutes later Alty reserve Lewis Billingsley replaced Colclough (75 mins).

Next, a good shot from Adarabioyo clipped the top of the Ashton crossbar from left of goal (76 mins) before Ashton made another change of personnel.

Soon, Billingsley impressed as he made an opening and drew a save from the keeper (78 mins). Next, Academy player Adeneyi replaced Kosylo (80 mins). But it was Ashton who threatened next as Hardcastle was played in on goal by Wall, but Thompson blocked the effort well (86 mins).

Peers then did well again, advancing on goal before being brought down. The resulting penalty was taken by Peers himself but Hartley saved it well, to his right (87 mins).

There was time for Wood to come on Ashton before the final whistle signalled a generally comfortable 2-0 win for Altrincham.