Return to News Page


Vanarama National League match
played on Saturday, 15 May, 2021 at 3pm
behind closed doors


Altrincham's disappointing second half of the season continued as they fell to their thirteenth defeat in the last 19 outings.

Altrincham made a bright start with a Mooney corner hitting the crossbar in the fifth minute. But, from around the 15th minute, the hosts started to get into the game and were comfortably the better side for most of the remainder of the first half.

Around the twenty-minute mark, Thompson had to rush out smartly to block Dallas but the striker was to have better luck soon afterwards.

It was not long before a home throw on their right led to the ball being relayed by Murray to Dallas, who was inside the "D"". The Weymouth striker was allowed time to make himself space before planting his shot past Thompson to give his side a 22nd minute lead.

And that is how it stayed till half time with Altrincham largely on the back foot.

Alty started the second half on the front foot and got level after 50 minutes with a fine low shot from 20 yards or more by Colclough, who had taken advantage of McQuoid's error and loss of possession.

But the promise did not develop for Altrincham and a second goal from Dallas settled the game. It came in the 78th minute after a corner from the right had been headed against the bar by McCarthy. The ball was relayed back by Weymouth into the box from the right where Dallas headed past Thompson.


REFEREE: Mr Alan Dale

ATTENDANCE: Behind closed doors.

After making nine changes last time out at Solihull, and losing 4-0, Altrincham made eight changes today as Phil Parkinson reverted to a starting line-up closer to preceding games. Sean Williams, Toby Mullarkey and Joel Senior were the only survivors from the starters at Sutton last time out.

However amidst the multiple changes for this game, midfielder Jake Moult had to be deployed at centre-back with Tom Hannigan and Ritchie Sutton both missing, presumably injured. Matty Kosylo returned on the bench after his long lay off and there was a rare sub goalkeeper on the bench, too, in the shape of Matthew Gould.


WEYMOUTH (Terracotta and sky blue shirts, sky blue shorts and socks) : 29. Ethan Ross, 2. Brennan Camp, 10. Josh McQuoid, 16. Andy Robinson, 17. Calvin Brooks, 18. Andrew Dallas, 21. Jacob Mensah, 23. Cameron Murray, 26. Ollie Harfield, 27. Ben Worman, 32. Sean Shields. Subs : 15. Josh Leslie-Smith, 6. Jordan Ngalo, 8. Jake McCarthy, 11. Jack Dickson, 42. Pierre Fonkeu

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts with blue and white diagonal sash, yellow shirts and socks): 1. Tony THOMPSON, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. Daniel MOONEY, 8. Sean WILLIAMS, 17. Nyal BELL, 19. Reagan OGLE, 24. Joel SENIOR, 25. Toby MULLARKEY, 29. Alistair SMITH, 34. Ryan COLCLOUGH, 36. Connor KIRBY. Subs: 10. Josh HANCOCK, 15.Matty KOSYLO, 20. Shaun DENSMORE, 21. Matt GOULD, 23. Tom PEERS.


It was more than twelve years since Altrincham had last played at Weymouth, in 2008. This 2021 meeting was Altrincham's last away game of the season before they complete the campaign with three successive home fixtures.

Altrincham weny into the match lying seventeenth, with 42 points from 38 games, whilst The Terras were eighteenth with six points fewer from the same number of games.

Six was also the difference between the number of goal conceded with Alty having let in 54 goals and Weymouth 60. At the other end of the pitch, Weymouth had the advantage by two goals, having netted 42 times as opposed to Alty's 40.


In a comedy start to the game as the kick-off had to be retaken it was Altrincham who were to have the better of the opening stages and, through Mooney, they won an early corner on the right. A superb inswinging corner from Mooney beat came back off the crossbar thouygh the keeper may have got a touch too (5 mins).

Although another corner immediately followed after Weymouth had hacked the ball away, this time Mooney's flag kick drifted onto the roof of the net.

Mooney was enjoying a bright start but then McQuoid put the unmarked Dallas clear for Weymouth inside the right of the Alty box. His hurried effort was a total miscue, to Alty's relief, with the ball sailing high and wide (10 mins).

After Weymouth had won their first corner (12 mins), the home side grew into the match. And Alty had their second scare in the 18th minute as Dallas got the better of Moult, left of centre, and advanced diagonally into the box. But Thompson advanced smartly to make an important save at the cost of a corner.

The respite was brief as Weymouth won a routine throw on the right. The ball was worked inside by Murray to Dallas, who was allowed time to turn and make space inside the "D" before shooting past Thompson to give the Terras the lead (22 mins).

At this stage Altrincham were second-best and, up front, Bell was making little impression whilst wing-backs Senior and Ogle were unable to make their trademark forays up the flanks.

The Terras threatened again as McQuoid burst into the box and went down under a Williams challenge but play was waved on, to the visitors' relief (32 mins).

After a foul by Brooks on Colclough the former Scunthorpe man's freekick gave Bell a difficult chance beyond the back post but his effort was well off target (34 mins).

With rain now falling and the hosts well on top, they won two corners after which Mensah hooked an effort well wide. Alty survived both corners as well as a freekick conceded by Colclough for which Altrincham withdrew all eleven players behind the ball (40 mins).

Alty remained largely on the back foot before half-time arrived with them trailing by the only goal of the afternoon. Having started the game well, Alty had ceded the initiative to the Terras during the first 45 minutes.

Half-Time: WEYMOUTH 1

Altrincham raised their game at the start of the second period but the hosts gained the half's first corner through McQuoid (48 mins).

When the advancing Mooney was hauled back by Worman, the Terras' man was deservedly booked (49 mins). Moments later a defensive slip by McQuoid allowed Colclough to get the ball and, from twenty yards, he hammered a superb low shot past Ross to make it 1-1 (50 mins).

And three minutes later it took a fine save from Ross, diving to his right, to keep out another well-hit Alty effort from distance, this time by Kirby.

Hancock now replaced Bell (57 mins) before a mis-timed challenge from Moult, on Worman, got him booked (60 mins). From Shields's freekick the ball was hit by a team-mate, point blank, at Thompson but he saved it and the ball rebounded off a home player over the bar (61 mins).

Next Kosylo, returning from injury, replaced Mooney (61 mins). Shortly afterwards, Hancock had an effort well saved (62 mins).

At this stage Altrincham were getting forward and Weymouth responded by bringing on McCarthy for McQuoid (66 mins). Having dealt with a home corner, Altrincham's Kosylo cut in from the right but his shot from 22 yards went narrowly wide (69 mins).

On 75 minutes the Terras made a double change as Dixon and Fonkeu replaced Murray and Brooks and they soon won a corner on their right. From this, a firm McCarthy header came back off the bar and was worked back to the corner-taker, Shields. Alty could not clear their lines and the ball was played back in, from the right, for Dallas to head home and put his side 2-1 up (78 mins).

Altrincham's last throw of the dice meant striker Peers replaced midfielder Williams (82 mins). Though Altrincham tried to create an equaliser, the final stages saw Weymouth keep them out reasonably comfortably. As time ticked away Hancock picked up a booking for a foul (88 mins).

Four added minutes could not alter the outcome as Altrincham endured their thirteenth defeat in their last nineteen league games.

Full Time: WEYMOUTH 2