Return to News Page


Cheshire Senior Cup First Round match
played at Barnton on Wednesday, 4 November, 2020 at 7.45pm
behind closed doors


In this Cheshire Senior Cup First Round home tie, switched to Barnton, the Alty side featured eight first-teamers in its starting eleven. They dominated the first half against their NW Counties' Football League opponents but it took them 38 minutes to score. That opening goal came when Peers's looping header from a Densmore cross found the back of the net.

Altrincham finally doubled their lead in the 70th minute with a fine shot from outside the box by right-back Callum Graham. The ball had come out to him following a Peers effort

In the first minute of added time, a Mercurius header converted a good cross from Howarth to make it 3-0 to the visitors.


ATTENDANCE: Home fans only permitted.

Altrincham included eight players who had played or had, in goalkeeper Gould's case been named, in a first-team squad this season. The other three starters were Callum Graham and Dre Taylor from the reserves and Will Hall. Hall had figured in pre-season but was currently playing for Whitchurch Alport.


BARNTON (Black & white striped shirts): 1. Arran LYONS, 2. Harrison GREEN, 3. Chris HUNT, 4. Ben FORSTER, 5. Alex JONES, 6. Ryan BOTELL, 7. Tom EDWARDS, 8. Abdul DJALO, 9. Deklan HILL, 10. George FARRELLY, 11. Eden GUMBS. Subs: 12. William AVON, 14. Harry LAMBERT, 15. Jonathan JONES, 16. Ben WHITE, 17. Ross AVIES.

ALTRINCHAM (All Grey): 21. Matthew GOULD, 3. Andy WHITE, 4. Connor HAMPSON, 5. Will HALL, 2. Callum GRAHAM, 8. Shaun DENSMORE (c), 6. Dre TAYLOR, 7. Daniel MOONEY, 9. Tom PEERS, 10. Curtis MILLER, 11. Yusifu CEESAY. Subs: 14. George HOWARTH, 15. Dan GAVANAGH, 16. Raheem MERCURIUS, 17. Rowan ROACHE, 26. Fisayo ADARABIOYO.


This was technically a home tie for Altrincham but it had been switched to Barnton to lessen the wear on the Moss Lane pitch.


Altrincham had the better of the game's early stages during which Matt Gould was not troubled on his competitive debut.

Following a foul on Ceesay, Tom Peers hit the crossbar from a Densmore freekick (10 mins) Five minutes later Peers had a decent chance but fired high and wide.

A further five minutes passed before a fine surging run by Miller carried him to the edge of the box from where his left-footed shot went narrowly wide (20 mins).

Altrincham continued to dominate and finally took the lead in the 38th minute when Densmore's cross from the left was converted by Peers with a looping header. A Mooney shot cleared the bar (42 mins) before half-time was reached on a misty evening.


Striker Roache replaced Mooney at the interval, for Altrincham. In early post-interval action Lyons had to make a decent save from a Miller effort (50 mins). Miller was booked on sicty minutes fopr a foul.

With Altrincham still on top, but not creating any clear chances, they brought on Mercurius for Ceesay just after the hour mark.

Midway through the second half, Barnton enjoyed their best spell of the game, only for Altrincham finally to double their lead in the 70th minute. The second goal came when a Peers effort came back out of the box and, with a fine shot, right-back Callum Graham beat Lyons.

Barnton remained in the game but, in the first minute of added time, a Mercurius header converted a good cross from Howarth to make it 3-0 to the visitors.