Return to News Page


Vanarama National League North match
played on Saturday, 29 February 2020 at 3pm


In one of just four fixtures to defy the weather, Alty consolidated their position in the play offs with this 2-0 win.

Whilst the pitch was in excellent condition, the wind made it difficult for the players.

Altrincham took the lead as the game was about to go into first-half added time. On the left, Dan Mooney made space to get in a deep cross, which Durrell met with a superb volley from 12 yards.

Hereford wasted three good chances to level in the second half, with Kelsey Mooney the culprit twice, poking an effort wide and later heading a corner over the bar. And Owen-Evans went close with a shot from the edge of the box.

Alty wrapped up the points when Richman, who had just come on as a substitute, reacted quickly to net a loose ball after a fine shot from Hulme had been parried out by Brandon Hall, with six minutes remaining.


REFEREE: Mr Scott Simpson
ATTENDANCE: 1,698, (98 away supporters)

Alty's starting line-up was unchanged except that Elliott Durrell made his first start at the expense of Craig Mahon, who was on the bench, where Andy White was missing, along with Max Harrop, who was believed to be ill. So, Simon Richman returned to the bench whilst Sean Williams was involved in the warm up as he recovers from injury. James Hooper, Altys recent signing was also present.

Hereford's new striker, Demetri Brown, was not in their squad.


HEREFORD FC (White shirts, black shorts and white socks) 1. Brandon Hall, 2. Jared Hodgkiss, 3. Keiran Thomas, 4. Ben Pollock, 5. Jevan Anderson, 6. Martin Riley, 7. Jacob Jagger-Cane, 8. Tom Owen-Evans, 9. Lenell John-Lewis, 10. Jordan Cullinane-Liburd, 11. Kelsey Mooney. Subs: 12. Rhys Davies, 14. Tommy O'Sullivan, 15. Brad Ash, 16. Kyle Finn, 17. Jason Pope

ALTRINCHAM (Red and white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Shaun DENSMORE, 3. Connor HAMPSON, 4. James JONES, 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. Daniel MOONEY, 8. Josh LUNDSTRAM, 9. Jordan HULME, 10. Josh HANCOCK, 11. Elliott DURRELL. Subs: 12. Craig MAHON, 14. Lewis WALTERS, 15. Tom PEERS, 16. Toby MULLARKEY, 17. Simon RICHMAN


With Storm Jorge battering the UK and seven matches postponed in the National League North, this match survived and was to be played on an excellent surface for the time of year. However, strong and gusty winds and occasional hail showers made conditions difficult.

This was Altrincham's first meeting with Hereford FC who had been reformed out of the ashes of Hereford United. Having risen rapidly back to this level of the pyramid, Hereford FC had hit the buffers since August 14 when they recorded their last victory. A change of manager had taken place but former Gloucester City boss Marc Harris was seeking his first win today after two draws in his previous games in charge.

The late Mike Garnett's records uncover the historical record between the clubs. Following Hereford's financial collapse, Alty had, before today, only met the current club, Hereford FC, three times previously. Both games before this season's 5-1 home win at Moss Lane had ended in draws.

However, there were also four previous encounters with the Bulls' forerunner club, Hereford United, as summarised below:


A sunny but blustery afternoon gave way to a brief hail shower as the game kicked off, with Alty having to change ends and defend in front of the the home terrace.

A Moult foul gave the hosts a freekick after just five seconds but there was no goalmouth action till Hall held a cross from the right by Hancock after Densmore had instigated an advance up the right (10 mins).

Lundstram, who had another assured game in midfield, then prompted a shot, via Hancock's pass, by Durrell, which the keeper also saved (15 mins). Alty then gained the game's first corner (19 mins) after which a hail shower started.

In these opening stgaes, the feisty Thomas was seemingly trying to wind up Hulme but it was the visitors, after a quiet start who were now getting the upper hand.

Alty won another corner midway through the half, as a rainbow appeared over the main stand.

Just past the half-hour Riley made an awful hash of things as he attempted to pass back to his keeper and Mooney nipped in but could only toe poke his effort across the face of goal (31 mins).

At the other end, John-Lewis turned well and forced a rare save from Thompson which was of the routine variety (34 mins). Play continued relatively uneventfully and, as halftime approached, Owen-Evans needed lengthy treatment whilst fot Alty, Hancock was limping.

With the sides cancelling out each other it took an impressive goal to separate them. Dan Mooney, on the Alty left, made himself space before crossing deep into the box where Durrell's brilliant volley propelled the ball into the net (45 mins).

It was a lead which the visitors just about deserved and three goals in three games for Durrell.

Half-Time: HEREFORD FC 0

Alty kicked off towards the home end and won the half's first corner, which Mooney wasted by putting it into the sidenetting (49 mins). After Hall's routine save of a Mooney effort, his namesake, Kelsey Mooney, missed a great chance to bring the Bulls level. Played in by Liburd, he poked the ball past the advancing Thompson but also wide of the keeper's right upright (57 mins).

Sandwiched between two Alty corners, which like the rest of their corners today, came to nothing, Finn replaced Liburd for the hosts (61 mns).

After another five minutes of scrappy fare, Peers replaced Mooney for Altrincham (67 mins). Peers was then fouled, right of goal, and the freekick yielded another, on the front of the Hereford box, when Lundstram was upended. This was wasted but when Lundstram then closed down keeper Hall, the ball cannoning off the Alty man for a goalkick, the natives in the home end were showing signs of restlessness (70 mins).

Hereford responded by winning a corner and then bringing on O'Sullivan (72 mins). After John Lewis had stroked a shot wide, Durrell was replaced by Mahon for Alty (75 mins).

The changes continued as John-Lewis was replaced by Pope (79 mins). Next, from the second of two successive home corners, Kelsey Mooney had a clear header but put the ball over the bar (82 mins). At ths point Richman replaced Hancock (82 mins).

Hulme then showed his strength by holding up the ball before turning and firing a powerful, low shot goalwards from well right of goal. Hall parried this out but Richman pounced to sweep the ball into the net to make it 2-0 (84 mins). It was almost as inspired a substitution as that at Blyth in Alty's last game, when Durrell came on and scored immediately.

However, Owen-Evans almost got his side back into the game with a well-struck shot which went only narrowly wide.

Altrincham saw out four added minutes without any serious alarms, to move up to fifth in the table in advance of their clash next week with play-off rivals Spennymoor Town.

Today's fixture had not been a classic performance especially in a fairly mundane second half, but Altrincham had worked hard in testing conditions and emerged the deserved winners but thankful for Hereford's wastefulness in front of goal.

Full Time: HEREFORD FC 0