Return to News Page


Buildbase FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round match
played on Saturday, 23 November 2019, at 3pm


Altrincham deservedly repeated their FA Cup win at York with another excellent performance which extended their unbeaten run to ten games.

On a dank afternoon at Bootham Crescent in front of a much smaller crowd than witnessed the FA Cup tie, York were again unimpressive as they sank to a third 1-0 defeat in a fortnight, having also lost at Curzon Ashton last time out.

The goal in this Trophy game arrived in the 22nd minute after a White cross, with Hulme having an effort blocked by the keeper before Peers netted the loose ball from close range.

York improved at the start of the second half, but Alty defended well and grew increasingly dangerous on the counter attack. Hulme celebrated his birthday with an excellent performance and he might have added a second goal after jinking his way into the goalmouth late in the game.

Clearly next week's game at Portsmouth will be a tough test but Altrincham go to Fratton Park in good form.


REFEREE: Mr Andy Sykes
ATTENDANCE: 974 (81 in away end)

Jake Moult was making his 350th appearance for Altrincham. Alty deployed a strong starting eleven with John Johnston's move to the bench the only surprise as Tom Peers started on the right wing.

York made four changes from the side which started the recent FA Cup tie between the clubs; McNulty, Tait, Maguire and Green were the ones not starting today.


YORK CITY (Red and blue) 1. Peter JAMESON, 2. Kallum GRIFFITHS, 3. David FERGUSON, 4. Sean NEWTON, 5. Harry SPRATT, 6. Josh KING, 7. Adriano MOKE, 8. Andy BOND, 9. Jordan BURROW, 10. Macaulay LANGSTAFF, 11. Alex KEMPSTER. Subs: 12. Nathan DYER, 14. Kieran GREEN, 15. Charlie JEBSON-KING, 16. Paddy McLAUGHLIN, 17. Dan MAGUIRE, 18. Ryan WHITLEY, 19. Elliott DURRELL.

ALTRINCHAM (All grey): 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Shaun DENSMORE, 3. Andy WHITE, 4. James JONES, 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. Tom PEERS, 8. Sean WILLIAMS, 9. Jordan HULME, 10. Josh HANCOCK, 11. Luke WALL. Subs: 12. John JOHNSTON, 14. Max HARROP, 15. Connor HAMPSON, 16. Toby MULLARKEY, 17. Simon RICHMAN, 20. Joel TORRANCE


Having disposed of York City in the FA Cup, Alty arrived at Bootham Crescent for the second time in a fortnight aiming to complete a double by also winning this FA Trophy tie. Altrincham went into the game on an unbeaten run of nine games, whilst league leaders York had faltered recently, not only losing to Alty in the FA Cup but also to Curzon Ashton in their most recent league match.


On a thoroughly dismal day with steady, fine rain falling, Altrincham kicked off towards the home supporters' end. However, within twenty-five seconds York had won a corner. But, overall, play was to be end to end for the early stages of the match. Alty soon settled into their passing game, a twenty-pass movement setting their stall out as early as the seventh minute.

Hancock's twenty-five yard effort was Alty's first significant shot but his effort went wide (9 mins). Soon afterwards Wall did well on the left but his low cross was smothered by keeper Jameson (12 mins). Next, Hancock's excellent ball was just reached by Jameson ahead of the advancing Peers. Soon afterwards a fine run by Hancock ended with a well-struck shot which went narrowly wide as the visitors began to get the upper hand (16 mins).

But York responded with a few minutes dominance of their own. Then, following a quickly taken freekick by Hulme, from just inside the York half, Alty won a throw on the left. From this, the ball came to White, whose cross from the left prompted something of a melee in the York goalmouth in which Hulme saw an effort clawed away by Jameson before Peers hit the loose ball into the net to give Alty a 22nd minute lead. It was the fourth consective cup match in which Peers had scored for Altrincham.

Just before the half-hour mark a long-range shot from York was saved well by Thompson. But Altrincham were soon getting forward again when an impressive move led to Hulme's shot into the side netting (31 mins). Next Hancock superbly controlled a long ball and fired at goal forcing Jameson to beat the ball away (32 mins). York's best effort at this stage was when Langstaff got past Densmore but Thompson blocked his shot (32 mins).

From a curling cross from the right by Griffiths, the ball only just evaded an incoming team-mate at the back post as the generally entertaining game continued (37 mins).

Next, following a Wall freekick ,the ball came out to Williams but he sliced his shot well off target (43 mins). For York, the liveley Moke was looking the main inspiration and following his one-two with a team-mate, a York corner was gained but nothing came of it (44 mins). Half-time soon arrived with Altrincham holding a narrowly deserved one-nil lead.

Half-Time: YORK CITY 0

Green replaced Spratt at half-time and it was York who seized the early initiative, playing with more zest than they had generally shown in the first half. Just two minutes into the half Alty allowed Griffiths to advance 30 yards but he fired over the bar. A freekick was then conceded by Moult, which kept the pressure on the visitors as they withdrew all ten outfield players to defensive duties.

More York pressure yielded a corner (53 mins). But respite for Alty came through Wall, whose cross caused consternation in the home pemalty area. Next Peers got forward but fired over the bar as Alty got back into the second half just before the hour mark.

After Green had forced a save from Thompson, Alty brought on Johnston for Wall (60 mins). But two York corners in succession kept Alty alert at the back.

York now brought on two forwards in Maguire and Durrell, who replaced Langstaff and Burrow (63 mins). Following a superb bit of cover by White, a neat Altrincham move ended with a disappointing shot from Johnston before more neat play from the visitors almost got Hulme free in the goalmouth (70 mins).

After an Alty corner had been cleared, Thompson held a low cross at the other end and, soon afterwards, Hulme was played in by a fine ball up the middle but Jameson saved well with his legs (75 mins).

On 77 minutes, Richman replaced Hancock. Almost immediately, centre-back Jones harried a home defender on the York byline and the ball came to Peers, who got into the box before being halted. Altrincham were finishing the game on the front foot but then brought on left-back Hampson to replace Peers (79 mins). However, Hampson was deployed in a left-wing, largely attacking, role.

On his birthday, Jordan Hulme continued to impress with a fine chest down and a smart turn but his resulting shot was underhit (83 mins). And Hulme soon threatened again as he got in a close range shot which was blocked. Alty's dominance of the closing stages continued as Johnston now won his side a corner (86 mins).

York, for their part, now only mustered a routine header, which Thompson held comfortably, before an overhit pass by Green brought an end to another potential attack.

In three minutes of added time Hulme's masterclass in forward play continued with good work on the byline to earn a corner. Three added minutes concluded with Altrincham for the second time in a fortnight emerging as the deserved winners at Bootham Crescent. Just as they had seen off BPA in the FA Cup and FA Trophy last season, so too had they done a Cup and Trophy double this year against York, whose stuttering form continued with this their third successive defeat.

Full-Time: YORK CITY 0