Return to News Page


Emirates FA Cup Second Qualifying Round replay
played on Tuesday, 24 September 2019, at 7.45pm


Following a pitch inspection at the J. Davidson Stadium, this FA Cup replay went ahead and, in just the second minute, James Jones headed home his fourth goal of the season, from a corner, for what proved to be the only goal of the night.

Chester had, likewise, taken a second-minute lead last Saturday but they had been unable to hold it. And when Waring headed home in the 49th minute it looked as if the pattern was repeating itself, albeit in reverse. But the intervention of the linesman persuaded referee Watson to overturn the award of a goal. The offender was Chester's James Jones who bundled over Andy White as the cross came in.

Playing with a much better tempo than in several games of late, Altrincham had chances to extend their lead, with Hancock spurning the best chance in the second half. Despite Mr Watson somehow allowing the game to extend into its 98th minute Altrincham deservedly earned a tie at Halesowen Town in the next round on 5 October.


REFEREE: Mr Dean Watson, who also reffed Gloucester City v Altrincham in August.
ATTENDANCE: 942 (243 in away end)

For Alty, Sean Densmore came in for Connor Hampson, so Andy White switched to left-back. For Chester, Mahon, Elliott, Gary Roberts and Waring all started, in place of Taylor, Hughes, Dudley and Asante. Despite Griffiths playing with a nose injury, again none of the seven Chester subs was a goalkeeper despite the debacle on the touchline in the original tie.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Shaun DENSMORE, 3. Andy WHITE, 4. James JONES, 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. John JOHNSTON, 8. Simon RICHMAN, 9. Jordan HULME, 10. Josh HANCOCK, 11. Ashley HEMMINGS. Subs: 12. Connor HAMPSON, 14. Sean WILLIAMS, 15.Tom PEERS, 16. Toby MULLARKEY, 17. Max HARROP, 20. Joel TORRANCE.

CHESTER FC (All blue): 1. Russ GRIFFITHS, 2. Brad JACKSON, 3. Matty WATERS, 4. Scott BURTON (c), 5. Danny LIVESEY, 6. Simon GRAND, 7. Craig MAHON, 8. George GLENDON, 9. George WARING, 10. Gary ROBERTS, 11. Danny ELLIOTT. Subs: 12. James JONES, 14. Iwan MURRAY, 15. Akwasi ASANTE, 16. Matty HUGHES, 17. Joel TAYLOR, 18. Anthony DUDLEY, 20. Matt THOMPSON.


The sides had drawn 1-1 at Chester on Saturday and were replaying tonight with the reward for the victors being an away tie at Halesowen Town.

Mike Garnett's records reveal the past record in matches between Altrincham and Chester FC.


The game kicked off with rain falling, after a thoroughly wet spell earlier in the day. Alty were attacking the away end and, inside the first minute, a Johnston shot earned his side a corner. This, in turn, produced a second corner and, from the right, the kick was met by the head of James Jones, towards the near post. He headed home his fourth goal of the season to give Alty a second-minute lead, mirroring Chester's goal in the same minute in the tie on Saturday.

Altrincham soon went close again when White fed Johnston and his excellent cross just evaded the incoming Hulme in the goalmouth (8 mins). Chester responded by winning a corner (10 mins). Two minutes later a good move from the visitors led to a Waring shot being blocked for another corner (12 mins).

The match was being played at a good tempo and, soon, Hemmings shot narrowly wide from 25 yards but gained a corner off a deflection (13 mins). Altrincham were playing well, moving the ball more swiftly and confidently than had been the case in some games this season. End to end play continued as Waring got past Hannigan but the tall striker shot narrowly wide (18 mins).

A fine Altrincham passing move produced another home corner in the 25th minute, with overall play being fairly even at this stage. Around the half-hour mark Chester kept Alty on the back foot for a spell before an impressive Altrincham move saw Hancock's effort blocked and, from the loose ball, Hulme saw his attempt cleared off the line by a defender (39 mins).

Shortly before the interval was due Livesey sat down for treatment and had to be substituted by Chester's edition of James Jones (40 mins). Altrincham enjoyed a good spell as the game went into two added minutes of play during which Mahon was booked after chopping down Densmore, who had won possession well (45+2 mins).


Chester kicked off and, as had happened in the original tie immediately after the interval, Altrincham were caught napping. A cross came in to the Alty box prompting strong Chester appeals for a penalty for a challenge on Waring (46 mins). At the other end a Hemmings pass just evaded both Hulme and the incoming Johnston as it went across the goalmouth (47 mins).

Moult, who is now getting back to his best form after his long injury lay-off at the start of the season, now won the ball but was harshly penalised. From the Chester freekick, some 35 yards out, Waring bundled home a header at the back post. With the players going back to halfway for the re-start, referee Watson ruled out the goal seemingly on the advice of his assistant. The offender was Chester's James Jones who bundled over Andy White as the cross came in (49 mins).

Altrincham responded to their shaky start to the half with a better spell before Chester came back to win a corner, won following a fine tackle by Hannigan (56 mins). This was followed by another vistors' corner and, in each case, Alty brought back all ten outfield players.

Gary Roberts then became the game's second booking for a very late challenge on Hemmings (58 mins).

On the hour mark Alty went close to doubling their lead as Densmore won the ball and fed Hulme, whose relay to Hemmings led to a good shot which the keeper could not hold but which was scrambled away for a corner. After this, Hancock fired narrowly over the bar before a Thompson block at the other end gave Chester a corner (62 mins). The visitors should have equalised after this as Elliott headed over from barely six yards out.

On 66 minutes Chester brought on Hughes to work in tandem with Waring, Elliott being the player withdrawn. And the visitors made a final change on 67 minutes as Taylor replaced Mahon.

Altrincham won two corners in succession before they made their first swap, with Peers replacing Hemmings on the left wing (71 mins). After this, Hulme had a shot blocked before Chester gained a corner (73 mins).

With rain falling again Altrincham had a great chance to wrap the game up. Peers did well to lay the ball off for Hancock who put his shot disappointingly wide when he should have hit the target. After this, Hulme needed treatment before resuming (77 mins).

Following a frank exchange of views on the touchline between Gary Roberts and manager Morley, Altrincham won the next corner as they now looked reasonably comfortable with their slender lead (82 mins). Next, in quick order, Sean Williams and Connor Hampson came on for Josh Hancock and Jordan Hulme respectively (83 and 84 mins). Had the game gone to extra time, and another goal had been needed, Alty might have regretted this double change. Immediately, Hampson got to the byline and was brought down but the freekick came to nothing.

When Johnston now ran clear, at goal, it took a good half-stop from Griffiths to thwart him (89 mins). Five minutes of added time were decreed as Jackson's challenge hurt Hampson who was to complete the game limping (90+1 mins).

Next, Williams won a corner (90+2 mins). Although it was reasonable to add a minute or so onto the decreed added time because of an injury stoppage, why play continued into the eighth added minute was unfathomable. But then Mr Watson finally concluded proceedings with Altrincham having given a good display to earn a trip to Halesowen Town in the next round, as well as earn £6,750. The prize money in the Third Qualifying Round is £11,250 for the winners and losers gain £3,750.