Return to News Page


Cheshire Senior Cup, First Round match
played on Tuesday, 6 November 2018, at 7.45pm


The lights went out on Altrincham's Cheshire Senior Cup campaign, literally and metaphorically, at the J. Davidson Stadium. But, a four-minute stoppage in the 86th minute for partial floodlight failure, only delayed the inevitable outcome.

Alty made eleven changes from the team which drew at Hereford on Saturday and their starting eleven included just three with first-team league experience.

Not surprisingly, Congleton proved themselves the stronger side with no Altrincham player making a case for immediate elevation to the first team.

The Bears went ahead after eleven minutes when Burey got past Downing, who played most of the game at right-back, and he fed Henderson who netted to Wynne's right. The lead was doubled in the 40th minute when handball was given against Woodcock. From 30 yards out, right of goal, Cope hit a superb left-footed freekick into the far corner of the net. His double-somersault celebration was equally impressive.

Although Altrincham enjoyed a lot of the forward momentum in the second half they barely tested Craig Ellison, the former Alty reserves' goalkeeper.


REFEREE: Mr D Rogers

Altrincham's side included just three first-teamers (Shaun Densmore, Simon Richman and Elliot Wynne), with a total of only 15 league starts between them this season. Alty also included five recent signings, none of whom had started a first-team game for the club. These included Bay Downing, who has been dual registered with Salisbury and been playing regularly for the Wiltshire club. Surprisingly, he started at right-back tonight. Another surprise was that the most recent signing, Charlie Scott, played at centre-back. Callum Harris had been briefly seen as a substitute against Curzon Ashton just after he joined the club in September but Ross Woodcock and Joe Thompson had only previously turned out for the reserves though the latter had been an unused sub in two first-team fixtures.

In charge of the team tonight was Reserves' manager Chris Rowley though first-team manager Phil Parkinson was later to be seen ensconced in the directors' box, with many of the first-team players on their normal training night.

Congleton Town were captained by Anthony Griffith. Griffith's 68 minutes on the Moss Lane pitch in this game far exceeded the nine minutes he spent in action for Altrincham in his abortive stay at the club as a player in 2015.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Elliot Wynne, 2. Bay Downing, 3. Ross Woodcock, 4. Charlie Scott, 5. Callum Jones, 6. Shaun Densmore (c), 7. Reece Coley, 8. Simon Richman, 9. Joe Thompson, 10. Callum Harris, 11. Dontai Gabidon. Subs: 12. Louie Barratt, 14. Ben Elliott, 15. Patrick Savage, 16. Matthew Cook, 17. Jack Ryan.

CONGLETON TOWN (Yellow and black hoops, yellow shorts and socks): 1. Craig Ellison, 2. Dominik Williams, 3. Richard Peters, 4. Joshua Ryder, 5. Thomas Morris, 6. Anthony Griffith (c), 7. Bevan Burey, 8. Dean Warburton, 9. Daniel Cope, 10. Saul Henderson, 11. Steve Foster. Subs: 12. Emini Adegbenro, 14. Tom Schofield, 15. Jack Disney, 16. Matthew Jamieson, 17. Thomas Stephens.


Mike Garnett has kindly provided the historical record of games between Altrincham and Congleton Town: