Return to News Page


Emirates FA Cup Second Qualifying Round match
played on Saturday, 22 September 2018, 3pm


Altrincham advanced into the Third Qualifying Round with a comfortable win against their Northern League opponents who kept going to the end, despite playing for more than half the game with ten men.

Alty took a 28th minute lead when Richman and Moult did well to get the ball to Jordan Hulme. He slid the ball past the advancing keeper, Flynn, to make it 1-0. Alty were unable to build on their lead but Whitley Bay were reduced to ten men in the 41st minute when Hassan felled Max Harrop, just outside the box, as the midfielder advanced up the middle after winning the ball.

In first half added time Alty had a great chance to double their lead when Flynn brought down Hulme in the goalmouth but John Johnston's penalty hit the base of the post and rebounded off the keeper, who then grabbed the ball.

The second half was one-way traffic. Moult made it 2-0 after 55 minutes when he scored from close range with help from Jordan Hulme in the build-up. The third goal came from Tom Hannigan at the back post after a Moult header had been kept out.

Substitute Tom Peers made it 4-0 when fellow sub, James Poole, laid on a chance for him and Peers added a fifth with a superb lob from a long ball forward by Harrop in the 84th minute.


REFEREE: Mr Aaron Jackson

Altrincham made two changes from the eleven who started last week at Bradford. Jordan Hulme displaced Tom Peers up front and Max Harrop came in for Owen Dale. On the seven-man bench, new signing Joe Thompson was named as was Conor Hampson, after his long lay-off with a hand injury.

Whitley Bay had a number of injury absences, notably striker Jack Foalle.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Elliot Wynne, 2. Simon Richman, 3. Andy White, 4. James Jones, 5. Tom Hannigan, 6. Jake Moult (c), 7. John Johnston, 8. Sean Williams, 9. Jordan Hulme, 10. Max Harrop, 11. Josh Hancock. Subs: 12. Owen Dale, 14. Tom Peers, 15. Liam Goulding, 16. James Poole, 17. Joseph Thompson, 18. Connor Hampson, 20. Tony Thompson

WHITLEY BAY (Yellow shirts, navy blue shorts, navy and yellow socks) 1. Thomas Flynn, 2. Adam Redford, 3. Lewis Walton, 4. Karl Ross, 5. Luke Taylor, 6. Ibrahim Hassan, 7. Peter Glen-Ravenhill, 8. Ryan Redford, 9. Stephen Ramsey, 10. Oliver Martin, 11. Luke Salmon. Subs: 12. Liam Anderson, 13. Kieran Brannen, 14. Sam Disley, 15. Ben Christensen, 16. James Proctor, 19. Liam Powell.


Altrincham went into this first-ever match against Whitley Bay without an home win this season.


Altrincham kicked off towards the away end at the J. Davidson Stadium but the first keeper to be in action was Elliot Wynne as he gathered a routine header from Ramsey. Alty's keeper also easily dealt with a freekick awarded after a foul by Jake Moult on Salmon (7 mins).

At the other end, Hulme's low cross from the right was gathered by Flynn as Hancock closed in (9 mins). But there was little to really excite the spectators in the opening stages in which an Alty corner in the 18th minute was about as good as it got. Alty were on top but were not causing the Bay defence any significant problems.

But soon after a second Alty corner had been won in the 27th minute, Richman did well and found Jake Moult. He threaded a fine pass forward to Jordan Hulme. As the striker advanced, he slipped the ball past the advancing keeper, Tom Flynn, and into the net just inside the base of the keeper's right post, to give his side the lead (28 mins).

Wynne then conceded an unnecessary corner before Johnston fired a decent chance over the bar at the other end (32 mins).

Hulme was then put clear but this time Flynn came off the better, blocking the striker's effort before Hulme put a follow-up narrowly wide (35 mins).

Alty continued to set the pace but the nearest to a second goal at this stage came from a fine rising shot from Hulme which narrowly cleared the bar (38 mins).

Three minutes later, Harrop cleverly won the ball off an opponent near half-way and ran straight up the middle. As he approached the penalty area he was brought down by Hassan and the unfortunate number eight was shown a straight red card (41 mins). Williams's freekick from this incident hit the wall and his follow-up was saved.

With the game just going into its alloted one minute of added time, a ball from the left found Hulme in the centre of the goalmouth. As he shaped to shoot, goalkeeper Flynn clearly brought him down to prompt an incontestable penalty award by referee Jackson. John Johnston stepped up but his spot-kick hit the base of the keeper's left post and rebounded onto the prostrate Flynn who was then able to grab the ball (45+1 mins).

So Alty reached the interval just one goal ahead having spurned several good chances to extend their lead.


Johnston's unhappy afternoon continued in the opening minute of the second half when he blasted a decent chance over the bar. A corner soon afterwards saw Hancock's header go to keeper Ford as Alty continued to struggle to get a second goal.

Play continued uneventfully before Altrincham put together a good move up the left which got the ball into the box, and after an interchange with Hulme, Jake Moult lashed the ball into the net (55 mins). Following this an eight-man move ended with a Moult effort flying narrowly wide (58 mins).

Traffic was now one-way as Alty won two corners, the second gained from a fizzing shot from right of goal by Harrop which Flynn just managed to push away.

At this point Poole replaced Hancock (62 mins) after which a Johnston effort won another corner. The visitors now made a swap as new signing from Ashington, Christensen replaced striker Ramsey (63 mins). Next, Hannigan fed Johnston who rounded the keeper but was unable to capitalise from a very acute angle near the byline, left of goal. Another corner followed from Johnston. From this, Moult's goalbound header came back off the crossbar but the ball dropped to the back post where Hannigan hooked it into the net to make it 3-0 (66 mins).

After this Dale replaced Johnston (69 mins). Moments later Brannen came on for Bay defender Walton and Alty's Tom Peers was introduced in place of Moult (71 mins).

With all the play taking place in the visitors' half, they now introduced Anderson for Radford to complete their changes (73 mins). But moments later it was 4-0 as Poole got forward, right of centre, and fed Peers for a straightforward goal (74 mins).

Harrop then got himself booked for the fourth time this season when he fouled an opponent (76 mins).

Alty completed the scoring when a long ball from Harrop found Peers left of goal, a good 35 yards out from goal. His first-time lob cleared the stranded Flynn and dropped into the net for a finely-taken goal (84 mins). Soon after this Peers rounded the keeper but found himself too far left of goal to be able to complete his hat-trick (85 mins).

As Alty continued to press forward, Flynn was unable to hold a Poole shot but re-gathered the ball safely (86 mins). Bizarrely, despite all the second-half substituions not a second of added time was played by Mr Jackson.

The dismissal of Hassan had made it too difficult a task for a hard-working Whitley Bay to build on a solid first-half hour's performance.