Return to News Page

MARINE (0) 0

EvoStik Premier match
played on Tuesday, 26 December, 2017, 3pm


Altrincham put on one of their most impressive performances of the season to win in brilliant style against Marine who were unbeaten in seven games in all competitions. Their last defeat was in October.

Alty took the lead on the half-hour mark when Hannigan headed home a Johnston corner. A twentieth goal of the season from Jordan Hulme doubled Alty's lead nine minutes into the second half, following good work from Johnston and Poole. Hancock made it 3-0 seven minutes from time to keep Alty at the top of the table.


REFEREE: Mr Christopher Porter

Ben Harrison missed his first league game of the season with a knock but he was named on the bench, where new signing Andy White joined the squad for the first time. In midfield Simon Richman replaced Max Harrop.


MARINE (White and dark blue) 1. Martin Fearon, 2. Peter Wylie, 3. James Short, 4. Adam Hughes, 5. Phil Baker, 6. Liam Tongue, 7. James Murray, 8. Michael Brewster, 9. Danny Mitchley (c), 10. Vincent Bailey, 11. Dominic Reid. Subs 12. Michael Grogan, 14. Kenny Strickland, 15. George Lomax, 16. Max Hazeldine, 17. Seb Bradshaw.

ALTRINCHAM (Purple) 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Sean DENSMORE, 3. Connor HAMPSON, 4. Tom HANNIGAN, 5. James JONES, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. John JOHNSTON, 8. Simon RICHMAN, 9. Jordan HULME, 10. James POOLE, 11. Josh HANCOCK. Subs: 12. Tom PEERS, 14. Lewis SHORT, 15. Sean MILLER, 16. Ben HARRISON, 17. Andrew WHITE.


After hard work by Marine volunteers and ground staff, the game was only confirmed as being played a couple of hours before kick off, after surface water had been drained from the pitch.

Mike Garnett's records provide the historical record in matches between Altrincham and Marine.


Report thanks to information from the Alty twitter service, provided by Andrew Flynn, as well as from Brian Flynn and Grahame Rowley.

In front of Marine's best gate of the season, Altrincham had the match's first real chance as Johnston teed up Poole, who flashed a strong effort across the face of goal (6 mins). Following more Alty pressure, a quick corner exchange between Poole and Johnston resulted in a shot which home goalkeeper, Martin Fearon, brother of former Alty youth captain Matt Fearon, almost palmed onto the ahead of James Jones.

However, following the visitors' good start, Alty keeper Thompson was now called into action to deny Marine's first shot on target (12 mins). But it was Altrincham who next threatened as a thunderous Hancock effort stung the palms of the keeper, this being Alty's most dangerous effort of the game so far.

After 20 minutes, Hulme bent a cross into the six-yard box, but no team-mate was on hand to connect with it. Next, Johnston fed Poole on the edge of the box but his effort was blocked. Then, when Marine countered, Moult was booked for a late challenge.

On the half-hour mark, Tom Hannigan rose the highest to head home a Johnston corner for his third goal of the season.

Shortly before half-time, Marine enjoyed a spell of pressure but Alty dealt with it well and the visitors remained a big danger on the break.

Half-Time: MARINE 0

Three minutes into the second half, Hancock got his head to a Poole corner to force a great save from Fearon, the former Lancaster City keeper. A positive start to the second half from Alty brought its reward as Johnston located Hancock, on the right, and he set up Hulme for a smart close-range finish to make it 0-2. It was the striker's twentieth goal of the season from just 30(+2) appearances in all competitions.

Shortly after the hour-mark, Densmore drilled a great cross into the box and found Hancock, whose effort skimmed the outside of the post. Alty then attacked again and won a corner as the Robins dominated.

Altrincham continued to play some impressive football as the game went into its final quarter. The front four were all on song, with Richman and Moult providing a sound platform.

After successfully defending a Marine corner, Alty continued to strive for a third goal but, understandably, the pace had dropped a little. However, a third goal did arrive, seven minutes from time, with a thunderous shot across the keeper from Hancock, his 17th of the season so far.

Alty immediately made a change as John Johnston was replaced by Miller and also Peers came on for Hancock (84 mins) .

However, despite Alty's control of the game, Tony Thompson had to be very quickly off his line to nullify a late Marine threat. But, overall, the Alty keeper had had relatively little to do,.

This win extended Alty's unbeaten league run to fifteen games and extended their lead to five points at the top of the table, though second-placed Shaw Lane have two games in hand. Next up is a trip to Leicestershire to play Coalville Town, followed by a New Year's Day clash against Witton Albion at the J. Davidson Stadium.

Full-Time: MARINE 0