Return to News Page


Buildbase FA Trophy Round One match
played on Saturday, 16 December, 2017, 3pm


After their goalless draw in the league earlier this season, the two sides again produced a goalless stalemate, with little in the way of goalmouth action.



REFEREE: Mr Leigh Doherty

Simon Richman returned from suspension but Mason Walsh was serving his one-match ban. Josh Hancock was ill (flu), but James Poole returned from injury.


WARRINGTON TOWN (Blue and yellow) 1. Tony McMillan, 2. Adam Carden, 3. Rory McKeown, 4. Steven Jennings, 5. James McCarten, 6. Liam Goulding, 7. Dylan Vassallo, 8. Sean Williams, 9. Jamie McDonald, 10. Tony Gray, 11. James Barrigan. Subs: 12. Ben Ascroft, 14. Scott Bakkor, 15. Steven Milne, 16. Jamie Davis, 17. Ged Kinsella.

ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Shaun DENSMORE, 3. Connor HAMPSON, 4. Tom HANNIGAN, 5. Ben HARRISON, 6. Jake MOULT (c), 7. John JOHNSTON, 8. Simon RICHMAN, 9. Jordan HULME, 10. James POOLE, 11. Tom PEERS. Subs 12. Max HARROP, 14. James JONES, 15. Sean MILLER, 16. Joel BEMBO-LETA, 17. Sam SHERIDAN.


The sides had fought out a goalless draw at Cantilever Park in the league already this season. Once again the pre-match conditions were wet and the game was played on a cold and dull afternoon.


Altrincham kicked off and the first action of note arrived in the third minute as Moult was penalised, 25 yards from his own goal. Thompson beat out the resultant freekick from former Alty midfielder, Sean Williams. Alty's counter-attack ended with an offside flag.

Another Moult foul soon earned him a lecture from the referee before Alty threatened when Johnston fed Peers, who poked his shot over the bar from 12 yards (7 mins). But the game was not to live up to its fairly promising end to end opening.

The match's first corner came when Johnston and Hulme combined well, but a foul on the keeper ended any danger to the home goal (14 mins). After Poole had been tripped in the Town half, he fed Hulme whose effort was blocked. Next, Hulme, clearly being held in the opposition box, won a corner, which ex-Alty custodian McMillan collected at the second attempt (16 mins).

At the other end, a Town cross from the left was followed by a Thompson save (21 mins). The Yellows won themselves a 25th minute corner, which Thompson fumbled before the ball was cleared.

As the game reached the half-hour mark, Johnston's 30-yarder took a slight deflection to earn a corner, from which nothing resulted.

Five minutes later a Williams shot was diverted by Gray over Thompson and into the net but the former Southport striker was offside. In a match of uncompromising effort, Poole was tripped and McCarten lectured.

An Alty corner by Poole went to McMillan and soon afterwards, a Densmore cross bounced off keeper McMillan for another corner, on the right, which again proved fruitless.

Following McDonald's late trip on Hampson, the home striker was booked (45 mins).


With mist descending on the pitch, Town kicked off. Five minutes later, Richman lost the ball then fouled an opponent and was booked for the sixth time this season.

A fine long shot from Hampson was beaten out by McMillan and a corner followed (52 mins). The keeper's punch gave Alty another corner but defences remained dominant.The best move of the match so far saw Moult find Hulme and then Johnston fed Poole, but he fired over the bar (55 mins).

At the back Hannigan was playing well for Alty but there was little to set the pulse racing before the hour mark. Next, both sides made changes as Warrington introduced Bakkor for Barrigan and Alty's Peers was replaced by Miller and Harrop came on for Richman (61 mins).

However, the stalemate continued. After 67 minutes Hampson was beaten on his own byline but Alty countered with Johnston ending the move with a shot over the bar. Two minutes later, Thompson's total miskick gave Bakkor a chance but he hooked it wide albeit gaining a deflection and a corner.

Sean Williams was booked for a trip on Poole (72 mins) and three minutes later, Jennings followed him into the referee's book for a foul. Then the already booked Williams tripped Poole again and was very lucky not to see a second yellow (76 mins).

Next, a Poole effort was cleared off the line by a defender before Miller was penalised for a challenge on Williams on halfway and the Alty man was harshly booked (80 mins). After 84 minutes, Poole volleyed a shot wide and hurt himself in the process.

Five minutes from time, Town made another change as Kinsella came on for Gray. Two minutes later, Bakkor fired a rising shot just over the bar but the ball was touched by Thompson to give the hosts a corner (87 mins).

Two minutes later, Johnston hit a strong, low shot narrowly the wrong side of the post and, apart from an added time corner for the hosts that was that so far as meaningful action was concerned.

After three hours of goalless football between the teams this season, supporters will be hoping for something a little more exciting in Tuesday night's replay.