Return to News Page


Buildbase FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round match
played on Saturday, 11 November, 2017, 3pm


For the second successive game Altrincham fell behind in only the second minute. This time Bembo-Leta was hit in the back by Thompson's kick upfield and the ball diverted into the path of Sam Heathcote, who netted a well-struck goal against his former club.

But, ultimately, a Jordan Hulme hat-trick saw an injury-ravaged Altrincham progress comfortably to the next round. Without the injured Disney, Taylor, Jones, Hannigan, Short and Amis, along with the suspended Moult, Alty nevertheless drew level in the 17th minute when Hulme headed home a corner taken by Ramsbottom's tormentor, John Johnston. Hulme's second also came from a left-sided corner, with the striker this time hitting a rising shot into the net.

Four minutes after the interval Hulme's deflected shot made it 3-1 and five minutes from the end, Poole's long shot was spilled into the net by keeper Taberner.

REFEREE: Mr Matthew Sowerby

Alty were without the suspended Moult, whilst Taylor, Jones, Hannigan, Short and Amis, along with Disney, were sidelined by injury. Meanwhile Miller and Omotola continued the loan spells designed to see them back to full fitness.

Shaun Densmore started in his most accustomed role, at right-back, and was today's captain. Richman returned after completing his suspension.

The Rams started with three men who were at Altrincham this summer; Sam Heathcote, Kyle Brownhill and Jerome Wright, whilst Alty striker Jordan Hulme hails from Ramsbottom and is an ex-United player.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Tony THOMPSON, 2. Shaun DENSMORE (c), 3. Connor HAMPSON, 4. Joel BEMBO-LETA, 5. Ben HARRISON, 6. Max HARROP, 7. John JOHNSTON, 8. Simon RICHMAN, 9. Jordan HULME, 10. James POOLE (c), 11. Josh HANCOCK. Subs: 12. Tom PEERS, 14. Sam SHERIDAN, 15. Callum JONES, 16. Mason WALSH, 20. Tim DEASY

RAMSBOTTOM UNITED (All blue) 1. Danny Tabener, 2. Dean Stott (c), 3. Kyle Brownhill, 4. Eddie Moran, 5. Luke Thompson, 6 Bradley Roscoe, 7 Philip Dean, 8. Jamie Rother, 9. Sam Heathcote, 10. Gregg Daniels, 11. Jerome Wright. Subs 12. Danny Ashburner, 14. Alex Meaney, 15. Adam Kay, 16. Tom Brooks, 17. Reagan Jarrett.


This was Altrincham's first ever meeting with Ramsbottom United of the EvoStik League First Division North but the Rams had served notice of their ability with a fine 4-1 win over Shaw Lane in the previous round.

The teams wore black armbands and held a minute's silence to mark Remembrance Day.


On a chilly afternoon, the Rams kicked off, with Alty initially deploying Johnston on the right flank. But Altrincham gifted their opponents a second-minute goal when Thompson played the ball out towards the edge of his box to Bembo-Leta, who seemed not be expecting the ball. He played a poor ball across the front of his own box to Ramsbottom's striker, Sam Heathcote. The ex-Alty man struck a fine, low shot into the corner of the net to Thompson's right.

So, for the second game running, Alty had conceded the lead inside two minutes. Alty's below-par start continued as a Daniels shot forced a full-length save from Thompson (7 mins). Next, Wright won a corner but the visitors put a header over the bar from this (10 mins).

Things looked up for the hosts with a fine Johnston run into the box but, at the back, a hesitant Bembo-Leta now lost the ball to Wright but, after receiving a return pass from Heathcote, Wright trod on the ball (14 mins).

Soon afterwards, a testing Densmore cross yielded a corner, taken by Johnston from the left, which an unchallenged Hulme headed home to level the game at 1-1 (17 mins). Moments later, Hulme won another corner, from a Hampson feed and, a minute later, a Johnston shot won yet another corner from Taberner's good save at the base of his right post.

A further Alty corner followed as Alty maintained some pressure. Johnston especially was causing problems and his haring past Moran up the left from a starting point ten yards behind the Rams' player, Moran, was outstanding.

The visitors' Rother did hit a 20-yarder to Thompson but then Johnston was at it again, bursting into the box to force the keeper to beat his shot away for another corner on the Alty left (26 mins).

After Harrop had lost the ball, his trip on an opponent earned him a a booking (27 mins). Next, a Hulme 25-yarder forced a fine save from Taberner which cost United a corner. In the build-up Johnston had been clattered and he now needed medical treatment. After play had resumed, Poole was fouled and Rother booked (29 mins).

Bembo-Leta's uncomfortable first half continued as he dwelt on the ball but he was caught by Wright to win a freekick which saved any embarrassment for the defender (31 mins). Soon after a superb Harrop ball had located Johnston, the bustling Hulme won his side yet another corner on the right.

A corner on the left followed, off Heathcote. This came to Hulme 15 yards out and he turned smartly before smacking a rising shot past Taberner to give Alty a 2-1 lead (34 mins).

As Altrincham continued on the front foot, a Hampson shot had to be beaten out by the busy Taberner (38 mins). Hulme was proving a handful for the visitors' defence but, at the other end, Alty again lived dangerously as they passed the ball back to Thompson.

When Hampson was penalised, 25 yards out, Heathcote's freekick had to be smartly tipped round the post for a corner. The first half drew to its conclusion as it had begun with Bembo-Leta under pressure as he dwelt on the ball.

But despite their several shaky moments at the back, Altrincham's mid-half dominance had earned them a deserved lead at the interval.


Soon after Altrincham had kicked off towards Golf Road, Johnston's pace took him up the left and, as Roscoe raced to cover, the United player hit a strong back pass beyond his keeper but another Ramsbottom defender got back to clear the ball before it reached the goal-line (46 mins).

When Densmore allowed an aerial ball to go, Wright seized on it but Bembo-Leta covered well.

Alty doubled their lead in the 49th minute when Hulme turned well inside the box and, from left of goal, his shot hit a defender and looped into net to make it 3-1 and complete his hat-trick. In fact, it was the perfect hat-trick of left-footed, headed and right-footed goals.

Having been clattered in the first half, Johnston was noticeably hobbling as Poole's rising shot went over the bar. The Rams made a change as Meaney came on for Rother (52 mins).

As the ball ran out of play, Daniels committed a naughty late foul on Johnston and then, for some reason, the offender himself joined the victim in going down and looking for treatment. Referee Sowerby showed a yellow card to Daniels for an offence which another official might have viewed more seriously (58 mins).

Although they now led 3-1, Alty did not withdraw the clearly crocked Johnston but his next act was to trip Dean and concede a freekick.

Battling by Richman won the ball and he fed Hulme but the striker slipped before he could gather the ball and run at goal (63 mins). Next, a Richman shot won a corner but the midfielder was hobbling after his effort (65 mins).

Next, Harrop's fine 30-yarder was pushed away for a corner before Altrincham made a double change with Peers and Sheridan coming on for Hulme and Richman (67 mins).

A deflected Dean shot gave the visitors a corner before Alty made their final change with Walsh replacing Johnston on Alty's left (71 mins).

After a Peers shot had been saved, Hampson needed treatment after winning a freekick. Then United's Jarrett replaced Heathcote (74 mins).

Following this, a Hancock cross was saved, before a Ramsbottom corner was cleared. Play switched to the other end where a Hancock 25 yarder had to be beaten out (76 mins).

An uneventful spell passed before Walsh was fouled and Stott booked (84 mins). Out of nothing, Poole's speculative long-range shot escaped Taberner's grasp and entered the net to make it 4-1 (85 mins).

After the restart, Taberner and Brownhill got in a mix up but no harm was done. Despite five minutes being announced as the minimum period of added time, Mr Sowerby concluded the proceedings somewhat short of that period with Altrincham having overcome their slow start to move into the next round.

As a consequence the home game with Ashton United on 25 November will be postponed, as that is the date of the next round. Jordan Hulme was a popular choice as Man of the Match and he is now the club's leading socrer with thirteen in all competitions.