NWYA Premier Division match
played on Sunday, 18 October, 2015
at Hale Spa & Country Club, 2.30pm/h4>


ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH (Red & white strip ed shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Daniel Havern, 2. Alex Robbins, 3. Aidan Young, 4. Ashley Knowles, 5. Harry Dulson, 6. Rhain Davis (capt), 7. Jude Oyibo, 8. Brad Aspinall, 9. Ashley Leather, 10. Dominic O'Gara, 11. Peter Iacovou. Subs: 12. Benjamin Irvine, 14. Dylan Wagster, 15. Laurence Robinson, 16. Kieran Furse.

MORECAMBE FC YOUTH (Blue shirts and socks, yellow shorts): 12. Andrew Thorpe, 2.Jake Yates, 3. David Carruthers, 4. James Borlase, 5. Ryan Tyrer, 6. Jack Cunliffe, 7. Isaac Loftus, 8. Joe Hamilton, 9. Aaron Hislop, 10. Ben Galvin, 11. Joel Drewery. Subs: 14. Reward Mwakona, 15. Anthony Beyga, 16. Helder Lopes


In a quiet and fairly even opening to the game, the sides won a corner apiece, neither of which came to anything. Soon after Robbins had got in a cross which went through the visitors' goalmouth, Davis had a shot which was routinely saved but that was as good as it got at this stage (16 mins).

It took a fine save by Havern, tipping the ball away from a testing Hislop header, to keep the score 0-0.

Soon after a promising Alty passing move had broken down, the visitors took the lead. A ball forward, up the inside-left channel, left Alty exposed and Hislop scored with a well taken shot which went just inside the diving Havern's left-hand post (22 mins).

But Altrincham responded immediately. An excellent cross from the right by Robbins was powerfully headed into the upper reaches of the visitors' net by O'Gara from about 12 yards out, making it 1-1 (23 mins).

Altrincham took the lead after O'Gara had fed Davis. The Alty captain set off on an impressive, mazy run into the box where he was upended and a penalty was awarded by the referee who had an excellent game, making every decision clear and talking to the players throughout. Davis got up to convert the spot kick and make the score 2-1 (35 mins).

Immediately, Beyga replaced Galvin for The Shrimps. For Alty O'Gara now shot wide before Oyibo saw an effort saved. But half-time arrived with the score still 2-1 to the home club's advantage.


Altrincham started the second half well with, first, Leather and then Oyibo, getting to the Morecambe byline. The early pressure finally told when Robbins's ball into the box from the right was deflected into the net for an own goal (47 mins).

Alty continued to dominate but suffered a blow when O'Gara appeared to injure his lower back in an aerial challenge with the Morecambe goalkeeper. He was replaced by Wagster (55 mins).

It almost became 4-1 when an Oyibo shot was spilt by the keeper and Wagster poked the loose ball into the empty net but he was declared offside (56 mins).

Morecambe now brought on another substitute, Lopes. Altrincham were still dominating the attacking play but without creating another clear chance before Furse came on for Iacovou (63 mins).

A fine run, up the left, from Oyibo led to a shot from Davis, which had to be saved (66 mins). Then, an excellent ball forward from Aspinall set Leather clear but the visitors' keeper made a fine save at the cost of a corner.

Although Morecambe had now got more into the game, the score became 4-1 in the 73rd minute. Davis was the scorer from close range after Leather had seen an effort blocked.

Alty now introduced Irvine and Robinson for Leather and Aspinall (75 mins). A few minutes later, Wagster returned to the game in place of Oyibo.

Morecambe had the last word when a Cunliffe freekick led to a header which came off the covering Robbins for the second own goal of the match (83 mins). A late Alty corner, won by Robinson, did not alter the final score in a match which had featured a strong second-half performance from the home team.

On Thursday, Alty travel to Tyneside to take on Newcastle Benfield in the FA Youth Cup (7.30pm).