NWYA Premier League
Tuesday, 14 April 2015


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Jamie Burrows, 2. James Campion, 4. Will Foster, 5. Sam Heathcote, 3. Jake Foy; 7. Sean Arrowsmith, 6. Laurence Taylor (capt), 8. Rhain Davis, 11. Harry Cain; 9. James Clancy, 10. Boris Melingui. Subs: 12. Aaron Goldman, 14. Reece Dwyer, 15. Jimi Folagbade, 16. Luke Crompton, 17. Marc Bellingham.


Altrincham kicked off this game on a sunny evening at Clay Lane and they took the lead in just the fifth minute. A cross from the right by Arrowsmith was halted by a defender but the ball fell ideally for Clancy to sweep into the net.

Alty soon threatened again when a Foy freekick from the left was nodded down to Davis but his shot cleared the target comfortably (8 mins).

Altrincham continued on the front foot with Arrowsmith and Cain a recurring threat on their respective wings. Another Davis shot cleared the bar from a Melingui lay-off before Cain won his side a thirteenth-minute corner.

But then Curzon should have levelled the score. Their number nine was played in up the middle but, as goalkeeper Burrows advanced, the Ashton striker directed his shot the wrong side of the post. Just as play was becoming more even, Altrincham took a two-goal lead. The ball was played up to Arrowsmith who, from right of goal, lashed an excellent rising shot into the top, far corner of the net (26 mins).

The visitors number five was booked for a sliding challenge (29 mins) and, from the resulting freekick, Melingui's header went wide. Arrowsmith soon won Alty another corner but the home side again had a lucky escape at the other end soon after this. On this occasion, Burrows rushed out of his area but was beaten to the ball by a speedy Curzon player. However, from right of goal, the Curzon forward was unable to find a team-mate to convert the half-chance (33 mins).

Folagbade now came on to replace Campion at right-back, the latter seeming to have had a knock (35 mins). However, Alty's periodically slack defending continued as Heathcote was dispossessed on the edge of the box but a goalkick resulted. Cain now did well on the left and from his cross Clancy's shot was blocked only for Melingui to convert the loose ball into Altrincham's third goal (38 mins).

Half time arrived with Alty seemingly in full control.


Dwyer replaced Heathcote at the interval, the Alty centre-back later being found to be suffering from suspected dehydration. Clancy moved to centre-back but, despite this disruption to their team, within three minutes of the restart Cain had made it 4-0. The goal arrived after a fine run up the right by Arrowsmith and, from his strong, low cross, Cain tapped in from close range.

Alty continued to press with a Foy freekick clearing the bar, Melingui being halted in the box and another corner being won (55 mins). Altrincham now had Goldman, who had replaced Cain, on the left flank and it was from the substitute's feed that Melingui had an effort stopped on the line.

But Altrincham were not alert to a quick Curzon counter-attack which culminated in their number nine scoring to make it 4-1 (58 mins). Though Goldman and Dwyer each won their side a corner, Curzon soon netted again. Clancy missed his clearance and the visitors' number nine took advantage to score with a low shot, making it 4-2 after 62 minutes.

After 69 minutes Cain returned, playing this time at left-back as he replaced Foy, so Alty now had an unaccustomed back four. However, Alty then went close as Melingui had a shot saved but won a corner. From this, Foster's firm header was blocked on the line.

Another Alty corner arrived before further changes were made as Crompton came on for Arrowsmith (79 mins) and Bellingham replaced Melingui (81 mins). Goldman continued to cause problems to Curzon and he won another corner with a fine dribble (83 mins).

When Davis kicked the ball away at a Curzon freekick he picked up a booking (86 mins) before Goldman took the ball off an opponent and gained another corner on the left. After this, good work from Crompton led to a Dwyer volley which flew just wide (90 mins).

With the light fading fast the referee concluded the game after a couple of added minutes. The win moved Alty up to second place and kept them on track for a final-day showdown with Chester, provided they can keep winning their games in hand.