Altrincham FC Youth Team
Match Reports


NWYA Premier League Match
played on Sunday, 17 January 2013


ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH: Steven Bullen, Callum Harkin, Alex Weatherby, Jamie McClellan, Michael King, Spencer Cunliffe, Callum Mooney, Oliver Riley, Jordan Mainoo-Hames, Adam Bezzina, Derryn Ofori.

Subs used: Matthew Kemp for Jordan Mainoo-Hames. Subs unused: David Brown, Rory McGoldrick.


Report by Callum Harkin.

On a bright yet windy day the young Reds played their first game for over two months in the North West Youth Alliance against a highly competitive Chester team on a pitch which can only be described as inhibiting for the Reds. And that’s being generous.

This was expressed by Alty’s hesitant start with Chester immediately forcing a corner, from which an unfortunate mistimed punch by ‘keeper’ Steven Bullen resulted in the home side taking the lead in just the 4th minute. The early goal seemed to rock the away side as they continued to be wasteful in possession as Chester camped in Alty’s half, winning every loose ball and attacking frequently.

However, a good run by Derryn Ofori, which resulted in a save from the home stopper insinuated that there was more to come from the Alty side that hadn’t even got into first gear. Chester’s dangerous number nine then came close to doubling the lead after a mazy run and low shot, which saw the ball trickle past the post. Shortly after the home stopper was in action again as youth captain Oliver Riley tested him from long range. Altrincham then went level in the 35th minute after a Riley free-kick rebounded off the wall allowing him to cross for Bezzina, he saw his attempt saved well by the Chester keeper, who must have been mortified to see centre back Alex Weatherby on hand to poach the rebound and level the scores.

The home side however were in no mood to sit back and lick their wounds. They went ahead again within four minutes after a cross from the left was nodded home by an advanced midfielder. Riley again tested the ‘keeper’ from long range shortly before the half time whistle was blown.


The Reds came out for the second half, clearly more determined and focused on improving on their below-par first half showing. This seemed to be paying off as, early into the half, Jamie McClellan came close with a header after Alty forced a free-kick due to high intensity pressure and enthusiasm from Callum Mooney, Spencer Cunliffe and Jordan Mainoo-Hames. The away side were then level in the 52nd minute as Riley won the ball back on the edge of the home box and coolly slotted the ball home past the despairing keeper. Alty were then on red alert as they scrambled away a corner; shortly after Bullen was forced into an impressive save after a Chester break down the right.

Altrincham continued to dominate possession whilst the home side relied on their pace-fuelled counter attacks courtesy of their wingers. An attacking run by Alty left-back Michael King was unfortunate not to produce anything of importance for the away side. A sublime overhead effort by Chester’s impressive number nine was then ruled out for offside.

With the game reaching its close a Chester long throw was cleared by Kemp allowing Harkin to break, forcing a corner with the help of the hard-working front man Ofori, but nothing came from the resulting cross meaning a hardly fought, extremely competitive game ended level.