Altrincham FC Youth Team
Match Reports

NWYA Open Cup 2d Round,
played on Sunday, 14 October 2012 at Clay Lane, k.o. 2.00pm


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, red shorts, red socks): 1. Stephen BULLEN, 2. Callum HARKIN, 4. David BROWN, 5. Alex WEATHERBY (capt), 3. Thomas LYONS; 7. Spencer CUNLIFFE, 6. Callum MOONEY, 8. Jamie McLELLAN, 11. Jordan HAMES; 10. Derryn OFORI, 9. Adam BEZZINA. Subs: 12. Oliver RILEY, 14. Robert GILROY, 15. Rory McGOLDRICK, 16. Sam BOWLES, 17. Joseph HAND, 18. Matthew KEMP.

CURZON ASHTON (Blue): 1. Ashley Sadoo, 2. Jeffrey Lennet, 3. Alex Watson, 4. Jordan Rutler, 5. Ryan Saxon, 6. Cavan Gaffney, 7. Josh Steadman, 8. Darius Ossi Junior, 9. Rory Robinson, 10. D. Clarke, 11. Nicholas Haughton. Subs: 12. Justin Johnson, 14. Oliver Halking, 15. Cameron Fairhurst.


The game got under way on a sunny but crisp afternoon and, in the early stages, the players had some difficulty keeping their feet on the still dew-laden surface. Altrincham won a first-minute corner but the opening stages were generally fairly even and uneventful.

Altrincham went ahead after 12 minutes when a good run from Mooney got the ball to Bezzina. The goalkeeper seemed to get his hands on the ball but it ran loose and Cunliffe was on hand to stab it into the net.

The score was doubled in the 26th minute when Bezzina's dribble inside the box led to a trip and a spot kick was awarded. Bezzina himself converted the penalty, inducing the keeper to commit himself before calmly rolling th ball into the opposite side of the net.

Ofori then went close as the half-hour mark passed, after which Hames drifted across the edge of the box before putting his shot narrowly off target (33 mins).

Curzon spurned a chance to pull a goal back when, from a Robinson feed, a team-mate lifted a shot over the bar. Bullen had a quiet afternoon in the Alty goal but he had to be alert to come out and claim the ball ahead of Robinson, who looked the visitors' main attacking danger.

Half time arrived just after a good advance up the right by Harkin had ended with him being declared offside as Mooney played him into the box.


Altrincham went 3-0 up in the 50th minute when an excellent feint by Mooney allowed Ofori to get free and the striker finished impressively.

A couple of minutes later, a scramble in the box ended with a foul on Cunliffe and the award of a second penalty to Altrincham (52 mins). Again, Bezzina confidently sent the keeper the wrong way to record his twelfth goal of the season; Damian Reeves watch out!

A foul on Lyons yielded a freekick, taken by Hames which led to a shot from Harkin narrowly clearing the bar (58 mins). With Altrincham in control, they made a change as Hames was replaced by Bowles on the left wing (63 mins).

Ofori almost set up Bezzina for his hat trick but his shot lacked the power to cross the line before a defender cleared the ball (66 mins). Next, Ollie Riley came on to replace Jamie McLellan in midfield (69 mins).

After this, an impressive run upfield by Lyons led to Ofori's cross-ball being diverted into his own net by the extended leg of a Curzon player, the ball looping over his keeper into the net to make it 5-0 (73 mins). Three minutes later, Hand replaced Lyons.

Alty continued to press, with Bowles forcing a save before a good shot from Cunliffe just cleared the bar (85 mins). In the final minute of normal time, Curzon's Robinson was booked after a minor spat with Harkin.

This win was Alty's first cup win of the season as they finally transferred their league form to a knock-out competition.