Altrincham FC Youth Team
Match Reports

NWYA Premier Division match
played on Sunday, 6 May, 2012 at Clay Lane, Timperley, k.o. 2.30pm


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Adam REID, 2. Josh MASON, 4. Joe COOMBS (capt), 5. Alex WEATHERLEY, 3. Sam ROWLEY; 7. Liam RUTLEDGE, 6. Matt FEARON, 8. Oliver RILEY, 11. Josh PALMER; 9. Denico WALTERS, 10. Derryn OFORI. Subs. 12. Jonathan MAKELA, 14. Alan TANSINDA, 15. Shakeel DEPEIAZA, 16. Mark NAPIER-HEMY, 17. Jordan MAINOO-HAMES.

NANTWICH TOWN (Green & white): 1. Jake RATCLIFFE, 2. Sam O'HARA, 7. Ben ARMITAGE, 16. Harry MARSHALL, 5. Ryan EDWARDS, 8. Jordan WALSH, 19. Todd DOWNING, 9. Oliver BRERETON, 11. Tom WILSON, 14. Kenny MATHER, 17. Kieran JONES. Subs: 2. Richard COOMER, 12. Josh THORNTON. 13. Richard OWEN, 10. Ross BLAKEMAN.


For this last home game of the season, Altrincham were without a number of players including Sam Grimshaw, who had work commitments.

The first chance went to Altrincham when Ollie Riley's interception led to a shot from Denico Walters which was blocked well by the visitors' keeper. And then a long range effort from Walters was also stopped by Ratcliffe (4 mins). But the opening spell was fairly even until the 15th minute when a decent Alty move seemed to have ended but the Nantwich clearance came out to Matt Fearon. From a good 25 yards out, the midfielder hit a strong, swirling shot past the keeper to give Altrincham the lead.

And within a minute it was 2-0 when Josh Palmer's cross from the left was met by a stooping header from Walters which found the net. Altriuncham were now passing the ball about well but it was Nantwich who won the first corner in the 19th minute, and from a resulting cross into the box, Nantwich should have hit the target with a header, which went wide.

This was a decisive moment as, two minutes later, Altrincham netted their third goal in what was to be a quick-fire hat-trick from Derryn Ofori. For his first, he converted a pass from his left from Walters (22 mins). Walters himself then forced a good save as he got on the end of an excellent through ball from Fearon, keeper Ratcliffe pushing the ball onto the post (25 mins).

And then Ofori forced another good save from Ratcliffe following a good pass from Walters (28 mins). But Nantwich then threatened, at the other end, as Mather got into the box but Reid saved well, low down and one-handed (30 mins). Two Altrincham corners came and went before Ofori made it 4-0, heading in a cross from Walters at the back post (38 mins). After this, a Fearon shot was deflected to Ofori to make it 5-0 just a minute later.


Fearon and Riley had impressed in the first half in midfield with a series of excellent balls but Alty's sixth goal came from good work on the right by Rutledge, who won a challenge for which his opponent was favourite to get the ball. Nevertheless, the Alty winger got the ball across goal from the right to where Palmer hooked the ball home at the back post. So it was 6-0 after 49 minutes.

From a fine corner on the right by Fearon, Walters's back post header made it 7-0 with just 54 minutes elapsed. Nantwich now made a double swap as Marshall and Mather were withdrawn and Coomer and Thornton replaced them. But, despite their deficit, the visitors showed some spirit and pulled a goal back when Blakeman slotted home from close range (58 mins).

Alty replaced Ofori by Mainoo Hames on the hour mark. But the visitors now enjoyed their best spell of the game. Alty next brought on Jonathan Makela for Rutledge (66 mins), followed by Mark Napier-Hemy's replacement of Joe Coombs on 73 minutes, with Oliver Riley assuming the captain's armband.

Play meandered on with Nantwich holding their own despite losing Walsh to injury and having to complete the last fifteen minutes with ten men. And so Altrincham completed their home league games with a comprehensive victory, leaving them with an away game against Northwich next Tuesday in which they can confirm a third place finish in the NWYA Premier Division.