NWYA Premier Division match
played on Sunday, 30 October, 2011
at Clay Lane, 2.30pm


ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Adam Reid; 2. Matt Fearon, 4. Ben Hamilton, 5. Joe Coombs (capt), 3. Sam Grimshaw; 7. Liam Rutledge, 6. Ryan Barry, 8. Oliver Riley, 11. Jack Cottrill, 9. Derryn Ofori, 10. Duncan Watmore. Subs: 12. Jack Martiny-Schofield, 14. Redmond McGuire, 15. Josh Palmer, 16. Shakeel Depeiaza, 17. Jonathan Makela.


Altrincham welcomed back striker Duncan Watmore, who had missed recent games owing to a school trip abroad, but were without goalkeeper Adam Reid, who was rested as he is playing for Buxton on Tuesday night, to help out the Derbyshire side. The game started brightly with the Vics winning a corner inside the first minute, despite Altrincham having kicked off the match. Altrincham saw this off and went to the other end where Cottrill put the ball in the net from left of goal, only to have his effort ruled out for offside.

Soon, Altrincham went close again when Ofori fed Rutledge, whose shot won a corner (6 mins). Altrincham then got into a mix-up on the edge of their box and it needed Hamilton to head off the goal line to keep the ball out. After a Vics' attack had been blocked, Watmore almost chipped the keeper from an Ofori feed but the Northwich stopper caught the ball above his head.

Play went through a fairly even spell with Alty's best efforts being a long shot from Fearon, which was saved, and a good save from the visitors' keeper from Ofori after good work by Rutledge and a relayed pass from Watmore (22 mins). But the defences remained on top as play reached the half-hour mark. At that point, Cottrill rode a challenge and from his cross from the left, Watmore dragged his shot across the face of goal but won a corner.

Alty took the lead in the 32nd minute when Ofori feed Watmore who skipped round a couple of tackles inside the Vics' box before feeding Rutledge who scored cleanly from the right of the goalmouth.

From a fine ball forward by Coombs, Watmore soon threatened again but, again, the Vics' keeper won the duel with the Alty striker. Alty keeper Wharton was then injured in dealing with a short back-pass and needed treatment from Alty coach Josh Collins before resuming. The keeper had recovered in time to make a fine save, soon afterwards, pushing the ball over the bar from a goalbound shot from the Vics' number eleven (42 mins).


Early in the second half, from a Barry feed, Watmore had a shot saved (49 mins). Vics no.2 was now booked for dissent before the visitors made a change as no.16 replaced no.10 (53 mins). Moments later Ofori followed the Vics' defender into the ref's book for a foul. Next, Watmore threatened but his effort went across the face of goal.

Alty were labouring and conceded a freekick fifteen yards inside their own half, in the Vics' inside-right channel. The visitors no.5 hit a superb freekick straight into the upper reaches of the Alty net to Wharton's left, to make it 1-1 (61 mins).

Vics made another change as their no.3 was replaced by no.15 (65 mins). With their tails now up, the visitors almost scored again when their no.16 forced Wharton to parry his shot just wide of the goal, for a corner (70 mins). And, a minute later, the Vics took the lead as the no.15 rode two tackles and chipped Wharton expertly to make it 2-1 (71 mins).

Altrincham almost got level straightaway as Ofori fed Rutledge, whose good shot forced a fine save. A fine Barry tackle soon prompted another attack as falling behind jolted Altrincham to improve their game. Ofori now gave way to McGuire for Altrincham (75 mins). Another good piece of ball-winning from Barry gave Cottrill a shot but it cleared the target comfortably.

After an Alty corner from Riley, Watmore's flick at the near post came back off the upright (79 mins). Next, Grimshaw shot narrowly wide (82 mins). After this, Vics made their final change as no.17 came on for no.8. A fine shot from Fearon yielded another Alty corner after a good save from the keeper but the equalizer would not come.

The game was finally settled when Alty appealed hopefully for a handball in midfield but Vics played on and got the ball forward to the no.16 who cleverly lobbed Wharton to wrap the game up at 3-1 (90 mins). Despite five minutes of added time, Altrincham could not score and the Vics emerged from all three points following a disappointing showing from Altrincham who were less then the sum of their parts today, lacking creativity and failing to finish clinically in front of goal.