Altrincham FC Match Reports

NW Youth Alliance Premier Division match
played on Tuesday, 3 May, 2011
at Wythenshawe Town FC, 6.30pm


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shorts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Adam REID, 2. Harry McAUGHTRIE, 4. Joe COOMBS, 5. James SMART (capt), 3. Jake BARNABAS; 7. Danny COLLINS, 6. Ryan BARRY, 8. Oliver RILEY, 11. Konstantinos NEOS; 9. Theo KIDD, 10. Sam LANGFORD. SUbs: 14. Ashley WOODS, 15. Liam NOON, 17. ...


After a disappointing run of form at Wythenshawe Town, Altrincham were looking to finish their home campaign on a high note. They were without several regulars in their starting line-up with Ryan Barry and Oliver Riley making up the youngest youth team central midfield pairing ever deployed by manager George Heslop.

Altrincham started the game by winning two early corners and then Langford, deployed up front rather than in his customary wide-left slot, got in a shot, but it went wide (8 mins). However, chances at both ends were at a premium but Woodley won themselves a corner off Collins as they began to take the initiative. The pitch was very bobbly after the long spell of dry weather and the Sports were adapting better to it.

But, against the run of play, a towering cross from the left was met well by Collins at the back post and he forced a decent save from the visitors' keeper, before putting the rebound into the side netting (25 mins). This signalled a spell of end to end play as now Alty keeper, Adam Reid, had to get down smartly to stop a drive from Woodley's number eleven. Next, after Reid had come out well to stop the visitors' no.10, play again switched to the other end where Riley put in a shot, over the bar (29 mins).

After the Sports had again gone close, Riley was booked for a trip on his Woodley counterpart (32 mins). The visitors were making the running to the extent that even the assistant referee gave his view to the spectators that "a goal is coming". The speed and control of the Woodley team as they went forward made them the more dangerous but half time arrived with the game goalless.


Soon after the break, the Woodley captain seized on a loose ball and, from around 22 yards, drove a well-placed, low shot just inside Reid's right upright (47 mins). With Woodley looking the better side, they nevertheles made a change as no. 15 replaced no.3 (57 mins). Jake Barnabas was then lectured for an infringement before Ashley Woods came off the bench to replace Konstantinos Neos. This prompted Langford to move to the left wing (62 mins).

Alty then survived a penalty appeal against Barnabas before Alty withstood a sustained spell of Woodley pressure (66 mins). The visitors now made a double change as their nos. 12 and 14 came on (66 mins). But Alty now put in their best move of the match as Langford's cross from the left was almost turned in by Woods, but his effort was blocked on the line and Kidd was unable to convert the follow-up.

Within a minute, any hopes of Alty levelling were dashed as Woodley scored their second goal. A ball up the middle was being shepherded back towards goalkeeper Reid by Smart but indecision allowed the recently introduced Woodley no.12 to poke his foot in and knock the ball into the unguarded net (68 mins). The same Woodley player soon went close again, turning well to get in a shot.

Alty now made another change as Barry had to go off with what appeared to be cramp. With Woodley comfortable with their lead, Kidd's frustration saw him booked for unsporting behaviour (80 mins). The minutes ticked away with Alty, despite moving Riley forward, unable to make an impression before Liam Noon came on for Theo Kidd (86 mins). In the closing minutes the Woodley captain hobbled off but Altrincham ended their home campaign with a defeat but, with many of their team eligble next year, they will hope for an improvement in fortunes next season.