NW Youth Alliance Premier Division match
played on Sunday, 3 April, 2011
at Wythenshawe Town FC, 2.30pm


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Adam REID, 2. Harry McAUGHTRIE (capt), 4. Jake BARNABAS, 5. Joe COOMBS, 3. Konstantinos NEOS; 7. Danny COLLINS, 8. Stewart WALLACE, 6. Oliver RILEY, 11. Sam GRIMSHAW; 9. Liam NOON, 10. Ibk MODUPE-OJO. Subs: 12. James SMART, 14. Ashley WOODS, 15. Theo KIDD, 16.Sam LANGFORD, 17. Matthew FEARON.

MOSSLEY (All white) 1. Ant Dorney, 2. Callum Harkin, 3. Andy McKernon, 4. Alex Clarke, 5. Alex Chesters, 6. Ben McNamara, 7. Joe Heap. 8. Alex Byrne, 9. Wes Harney, 10. Tom Clarke, 11. Jordan Cuff. Subs: 12. Wayne Gordon, 14. Sam Rathbone, 15. Miko Lewis, 16. Ryan Smith.


With five players rested in advance of their possible involvement in the Cheshire Senior Cup this Tuesday - Alty have several first-teamers injured, ineligible or suspended - this was always going to be a difficult match against a good Mossley side.

On a bobbly pitch with a damp surface, Mossley got off to a good start and forced a first-minute save from Adam Reid following Heap's well-struck shot. After a Mossley corner, Modupe-Ojo found himself free against the visitors’ keeper but his shot was tentative and comfortably blocked by Dorney. Grimshaw then fired over and Alty won a corner but Mossley were now down to ten men as Alex Clarke had gone down, off the pitch, having fallen awkwardly and, as it transpired, suffered a suspected ankle fracture.

With Lewis joining the game in place of his injured team-mate, Mossley took the lead in the eighth minute. After advancing up the left, the ball fell for Byrne to lash home a diagonal shot from 15 yards or so.

After that Reid did well to hold a long shot (14 mins) and, following a corner, the Alty keeper made another good save from Heap, at the cost of another corner. With an ambulance having departed with the injured Mossley defender, play continued with Alty unable to create any chances at the Mossley end. But in the 33rd minute Riley got in a long-range effort but it went wide. Mossley threatened again when Cutt and McGlennon exchanged passes before the former fired over the Alty bar (39 mins).

Alty wasted an opportunity when a poor clearance from the Mossley keeper found Noon. He laid the ball off for Modupe-Ojo but his shot cleared the bar comfortably (45 mins). So, half-time arrived with Alty still in the game at 0-1.


The second half started with a wild shot from Mossley's Heap which ended up on the Stockport Road, behind the goal. Mossley had now brought on Smith, for Hankin, and they soon threatened a second goal when Harney got free but Reid dashed out of his net to block well.

Alty's best attack so far ironically ended in Sam Grimshaw breaking his collar bone. Sam and Riley had exchanged passes on the left before Grimshaw went down awkwardly as he tried to convert the ball played to him inside the box (54 mins). Sam Langford now replaced Grimshaw (55 mins) on the Alty left. As the ambulance arrived for the Alty player, Mossley doubled their lead with looping header from Harney (59 mins).

But just as Alty were enjoying their best spell, they conceded a second goal when Cuff, a danger on the Mossley left, got behind Coombs and laid on a simple goal for Harney to tap the ball into the net (63 mins). At 0-3, now, play was halted briefly to allow Sam Grimshaw to be helped across the goalmouth to the waiting ambulance.

In the 66th minute Alty brought on Fearon for Modupe-Ojo and Kidd for Collins. Two minutes later Mossley's Rathbone replaced McKernon. Soon the Lilywhites won two corners as they held onto their lead comfortably.

Riley (pictured right), who had a good game in Alty’s midfield, now fired over the bar and Kidd went close when he tried to poke the ball past the keeper on the front edge of the box (77 mins). Chesters was then allowed a free effort at goal before Harney headed narrowly wide. The respite was short for Alty as Heap got behind the defence on the Mossley right to lay on a simple goal for Harney to complete his hat-trick. So it was now 0-4 after 84 minutes.

So, Altrincham suffered their sixth successive league defeat but, with their starting line-up disrupted this week, they will hope to give a better account of themselves next Sunday when these two sides meet again in the NWYA Premier Cup semi-final.