NW Youth Alliance Premier Division match
played on Sunday, 13 February, 2011 at 2.30pm, at Wythenshawe Town FC


ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Adam REID, 12. David KING, 2. Harry McAUGHTRIE, 4. Joe COOMBS,3. Sam GRIMSHAW, 7. Theo KIDD, 6. Matthew FEARON (capt.), 8. Danny COLLINS, 11. Sam LANGFORD, 9. Ashley WOODS, 10. Kieran MADDEN. Subs: 14. Ansima MATABARO, 15. Konstantinos NEOS, 16. Liam NOON, 17. Ibk MODUPE-CLIO.

FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER YOUTH (All blue): 1. Hayden BUCKLEY-SMITH, 2. Josh BURKE, 3. Jake HASLAM, 4. Danny JORDAN, 5. Ryan LYONS, 6. Reece HARRISON, 7. Lee WORSWICK, 8. Matthew TIERNEY, 9. Dylan MOLONEY, 10. Luke KOLAROWSKI, 11. Carl FITTON. Subs: 12. Aron BOCKLEY-SMITH, 14. Kyle CUNNINGHAM, 15. Ryan WESTWOOD, 17. Chris SMITH.


Captain James Smart had failed a fitness test after being injured in midweek playing for the first team. Centre-back Jake Barnabas was abroad and Reece Bailey had left the squad, so manager George Heslop moved Harry McAughtrie to centre-back, where he was partnered by Joe Coombs, whilst Dave King started at right-back.

Torrential rain was falling as the game kicked off. It was the first home league game for Altrincham for 15 weeks because of cup competitions and the bad weather over the Christmas and January period. Even this game only just survived as the 90 minutes were to be played in increasingly difficult conditions. Alty's opponents, FCUM, arrived at Wythenshawe without having dropped a league point this season.

After a fairly quiet opening, which the visitors shaded, it was Altrincham who took the lead in the 14th minute. The goal came when Langford's cross from the left was spilt by the FCUM keeper in the slippery conditions. Theo Kidd was on hand to put the loose ball into the net.

But the lead barely lasted three minutes before Alty stood off from an attack allowing Moloney to drive a shot from 25 yards which skimmed off the slippery surface into the far corner of the net from left of goal (17 mins). Though FC's keeper had to save bravely at Madden's feet, it was the visitors who won the next three corners, as they got the upper hand (31 mins).

Alty keeper, Adam Reid, had to save well from Moloney after he got free of the Alty defence before a foul on Madden gave Alty a freekick 30 yards out. Woods's well-hit effort was well held by the keeper (36 mins). Sam Langford then lashed the ball across the face of the FCUM goal before Grimshaw, who had received attention earlier, had to come off injured and was replaced at left-back by Konstantinos Neos (39 mins).

Half-time soon arrived with the sides locked at 1-1 after an entertaining first half.


FCUM brought on Westwood at the interval, after which the first significant action was a volley by Woods which went wide (47 mins). Soon, King went down after making a tackle with a recurrence of a shoulder injury he had suffered in the first half. After treatment from Josh Collins, he resumed but, moments later, he went down again with the same problem and he had to be substituted by Ansima Matabaro. Ansima went into midfield as Matt Fearon moved to right-back (53 mins).

After another FCUM corner, the visitors brought on a number 12 and proceeded to win two more corners. Between these, Alty brought on Noon for Langford (66 mins). With Kidd now moved up front, Noon was his strike partner, as Madden moved to the right of midfield. Alty then won a corner, after which the visitors' no. 12 fired a shot across the goalmouth (72 mins).

FCUM were doing more of the pressing but Alty were defending well and working hard across midfield. They saw off two more FCUM corners before having an attack of their own in which Kidd went down in the box but strong penalty appeals were waved away by the referee (82 mins).

As the rain eased for a moment, FCUM then had an equally strong penalty appeal at the other end also turned down (87 mins). FCUM then missed a great chance, when a ball from the right found Burke in front of goal but he could not turn the ball into the net. But the escape was momentary because a cross then came in from the visitors' right and Moloney's header went into the net off the underside of the bar (89 mins). Despite some added time, Altrincham could not get an equalizer and so FCUM departed with the points, leaving Altrincham disappointed that their spirited performance had brought no reward.