NW Youth Alliance Open Cup match
played on Sunday, 7 November, 2010 at 1.30pm, at Wythenshawe Town FC


ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1. Adam REID, 2. Harry McAUGHTRIE, 4. Jake BARNABAS, 5. James SMART (capt), 3. Sam GRIMSHAW, 7. Ashley WOODS, 6. Matthew FEARON (capt), 8. Stewart WALLACE, 11. Sam LANGFORD, 9. Theo KIDD, 10. Kieran MADDEN. Subs: 12. Kyle CUNNINGHAM, 14. Owen DAVIES, 15. Reece BAILEY, 16. Ansima MATABARO, 17. David KING.



Altrincham won an early corner, following which a lob from Wallace cleared the bar (4 mins). Play was fairly end to end in these opening stages but soon Altrincham got the upper hand. They took the lead in the 10th minute when Wallace and Langford combined well to set Madden free on goal. He kept his head well to slot the ball past the keeper.

Two minutes later it was 2-0 as Woods and Madden this time fed Kidd and, from right of goal he scored (12 mins).

Just after this a fine shot from Fearon was tipped over by the keeper before Madden turned well and got in a shot which yielded a corner. In a rare excursion upfield, Aspull were stopped by a fine tackle from James Smart. But the visitors then went close to scoring when their number seven volleyed narrowly over the bar (18 mins).

Woods made it 3-0 after his own run into the box had been halted; the ball came to Fearon whose well struck shot was stopped well by the keeper but he could not hold the ball and Woods nipped in to score (22 mins). Wallace then had a decent chance which was underhit at the keeper. But Aspull kept their heads up and a superb long range shot from their number nine, from 30 yards, smashed against the Altrincham cross bar. The visitors got a reward for their resistance when one of their players got to the by-line, right of goal, and was brought down. The Aspull number four hammered the resulting penalty past keeper Reid to make it 3-1 (26 mins).

The visitors had to bring on a substitute soon afterwards but soon they once more got to the by-line but this time they were halted. At the other end a good run by Fearon ended with a shot at goal (38 mins). As half time approached Altrincham scored twice more. The first came after Wallace fed Langford, who advanced up the left and won a corner. The corner was half cleared out to Langford who hit a fine shot past the keeper to make it 4-1 (41 mins).

Altrincham were not finished yet and in the 44th minute Kieran Madden scored after exchanging passes on the right with Theo Kidd.


Aspull brought on another substitute at the interval. Altrincham continued to go forward but spurned two chances in a minute in the 50th minute. However, they made it 6-1 when Madden completed his hat trick with a volley which went in off the post following a good cross by Grimshaw from the left (52 mins).

Things got worse for Aspull when their number three was booked and was immediately shown a second yellow and a red, presumably for continuing dissent (56 mins). Soon after this Alty brought on Davies for Fearon in midfield, after which Aspull's number 7 was booked for a foul. Three Alty corners came and went before David King replaced Theo Kidd for Altrincham (66 mins). This allowed Woods to move forward.

Aspull's ten men still kept competing but they conceded again when a corner from the left ended up with Woods, right of goal, and he lashed an excellent volley past the keeper (76 mins). Three more Alty corners arrived before the end but it was not till the 88th minute that Alty wrapped up the scoring when Langford did well on the left and fed Woods who dribbled his way free of two defenders before making it 8-1. The goal completed Woods's hat-trick, meaning that both he and Madden would have to contest possession of the match ball!

Whilst it was a day for the attacking players to take the limelight, Alty's defence and midfield played well to ensure that their side could continue to get forward at the Aspull defence.