NW Youth Alliance League, Premier Division
played on Sunday, 22 August, 2010
at Wythenshawe Town FC, at 2.30pm


ALTRINCHAM FC YOUTH (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks): 1.Adam REID, 2. Harry McAUGHTRIE, 3. Sam GRIMSHAW, 4. Joe COOMBS, 5. Kyle CUNNINGHAM, 6. Owen DAVIES (capt), 7. Liam RUTLEDGE, 8. Matthew FEARON, 9. Theo KIDD, 10. Ashley WOODS, 11. Stewart WALLACE. Subs: 12. Jake BARNABAS, 14. Ansima MATABARO, 15. Reece BAILEY, 16. Sam LANGFORD, 17. James FOSSDYKE (gk).

MORECAMBE YOUTH (Pale Blue shirts & socks, dark blue shorts): 1. Ryan SHEPHERD, 2. Nathan HANKSHAw, 3.James SHORT, 4. Darren BRAITHWAITE, 5. Sean WILKINSON, 6. Joe BARTLETT, 7. Lewis GARDENER, 8. Ben HARDCASTLE, 9. Matt RANER, 10. Alex sALMON, 11. Kenneth TAYLOR. Subs: 12. Michael ..., 13. David SUNTER, 14. Ryan WONDER, 15. Charlie JOYCE, 18. Ryan...


Above: Alty Youth keeper Adam Reid holds on to the ball as Morecambe Youth apply second-half pressure in Sunday's goalless draw.

This, the second game of the league season, was played on a warm, sunny afteroon on a bobbly pitch at Wythenshawe Town. After a quiet start, Salmon produced the first decent effort on goal with a neat swivel and shot which just cleared the bar (11 mins). At the other end, Kidd did well to get in a shot but it ran to the keeper (12 mins). It was another ten minutes before the hosts threatened again when Woods got behind the defence but the keeper blocked his effort (23 mins).

Alty enjoyed a period of superiority during which Kidd got in a firm shot which Shepherd saved well (29 mins). At the back Coombs and Cunningham were keeping a tight rein on Morecambe before the next Alty threat at the other end, which was a header by Wallace from a good cross by Fearon, which was fielded by the keeper (33 mins).

As half time approached, Morecambe got back into the game and they won a late corner. But the interval arrived with the score goalless.


The injured Rutledge was replaced by Bailey at the interval. Alty went close in the first minute of the half when Davies fired over the bar and then the Alty captain drove a 30 yard freekick over the bar but much of the rest of the second half saw Morecambe on the front foot.

After 54 minutes Joyce replaced Hardcastle for the Shrimps. But after a Woods freekick had hit the wall, Alty allowed Salmon to drift free of any marking and were pleased to see his volley clear the bar (61 mins). Alty allowed the same player another free shot at goal just a minute later but Reid made a fine save. Morecambe now brought on another sub, for Braithwaite.

Alty were grateful to Reid again when he saved well with his feet from Gardner (63 mins), Morecambe's Wilkinson got himself booked for a mis-timed lunge at Davies before Bartlett fired over the Alty bar. After 71 minutes Matabaro replaced Kidd up front for Alty and three minutes later, Morecambe made another change, after which they maintained their pressure by winning a corner (76 mins).

Reid made his third fine save of the second half, again with his feet (77 mins), before Alty brought on Barnabas to replace the injured Bailey (81 mins). Reid then made a fine catch from a Morecambe corner (86 mins). But Alty threatened in the closing minutes with a good appeal for a penalty when Matabaro was brought down in the box, but the appeal went unheeded (88 mins).

Morecambe's Gardener,who had earlier been booked, apparently for dissent, was now shown another yellow for reasons that were not clear and the resultant red card reduced his side to ten men for the final minute and a little added time. Altrincham won a corner at the death but were unable to snatch a winner before the game ended goalless.