NW Youth Alliance Football League Open Cup, 2nd Round
played on Sunday, 29 November, 2009


ALTRINCHAM: 1. James THORN, 2. Ben SHAWCROSS, 4. Liam BROMILEY-BLACKBURN, 4. Ryan MARSDEN, 3. James SMART; 7. Joel BROWNHILL, 8. Jamie BROWN, 6. John BENNETT (capt), 11. Niall SHERIDAN; 9. Kieran MADDEN, 10. Michael LINNEY. Subs: 12. Dominic BATES, 14. Matty CLINTON, 15. Luke LAVELLE, 16. Stelvio DA ROCHA, GK. James FOSSDYKE.

NEW MILLS: 1. George ARNOLD, 2. Mike KENNEDY, 3. Mike DUGDALE, 4. Josh CASVILI, 5. Dan WHEALAN, 6. Aaron BROADLEY, 7. Aaron BLEAKLY, 8. Andy ATHERTON, 9. Jonny RAWLINGS, 10. Andy TIMMINS, 11. Andy BAILEY. Subs: 12. Adam FELLOWS, 14. Mike HALLIWELL, 15. Dan CRISTLY?, 16. sam HOLLISTER, 17. Josh DEAVILLE?.


Match report, courtesy of George Heslop.

This game kicked off at 1.30pm on a very soft pitch in steady rain. The ground was slightly boggy in parts but, overall, it stood up to the 90 minutes very well.

The team was still deprived of various players; these included Rory Bradbury (playing for the North of England Schools), Dan Shaw, Blaine Whiteside and James Fossdyke (injured) and Finally Gloda Kuba-Kuba, who cried off on the morning of the match, ill.

Altrincham started the better of the two sides, keeping possession of the ball with short, direct passing and utilising the wings in a very positive manner.

After 20 minutes, New Mills started to get possession but played more of a long, passing game with long-range shooting. Despite the conditions, James Thorn, in Altrincham's goal, dealt with these efforts very confidently. The game then went into a very even stage with neither side dominating.

Then, captain John Bennett moved forward in the 41st minute and hit a great shot from outside the area, which unfortunately hit the post but Kieran Madden was on hand to guide the rebound goalwards and into the net to give Altrincham a 1-0 lead. This was Madden's fourth goal in three matches.


Altrincham started off the second half, playing down the slope and their goal just before the interval seemed to have unsettled the New Mills team as the home team attempted to turn the screw. However, the New Mills defence held the home forwards at bay. Then, halfway through the second half, Altrincham's efforts were rewarded when Brownhill cut in from the right wing and, when everyone on and off the pitch wanted him to pass, he turned on the edge of the box and fired home into the goalkeeper's top left-hand corner; 2-0 to the homesters.

With 20 minutes or so remaining, Altrincham decided to make substitutions as two or three players were carrying knocks and Altrincham have a very intensive league programme coming up before Christmas. Kieran Madden was replaced by Dominic Bates, who went to right back. Ben Shawcross moved forward to right midfield with Joel Brownhill going up front. Then, later on, the other striker, Michael Linney came off with an injury, to be replaced by Matty Clinton.

The final whistle went, to record Altrincham's entry into the Quarter-Final and also to mark their eleventh victory of the season and their sixth clean sheet. This game was also Ryan Marsden's first full appearance of the season and a welcome return of Joel Brownhill.

The next fixture is a home league game against Marine "A" at Wythenshawe Town FC at 2pm. Marine have been Altrincham's bogey team over the last few seasons and have also beaten the league leaders, Stalybridge Celtic, this season. As a final touch of spice, Altrincham's James Smart has his cousin appearing for the opposition.

Andrew Shaw, Altrincham's director was a very welcome spectator at Ericstan Park for the game today.