Woodley Sports won 4-2 after extra time

NWYA Premiership (Neil Thomason Memorial) Cup, 1st Round match, played on Sunday, 8 November, 2009.


ALTRINCHAM: 1. James THORN, 2. Ben SHAWCROSS, 4. Dominic BATES, 5. Liam BROMILEY-BLACKBURN, 3. James SMART; 7. Jamie BROWN, 6. John BENNETT, 8. Rory BRADBURY, (capt), 11. Niall SHERIDAN; 9. Joel BROWNHILL, 10. Glodi KUBA-KUBA. Subs: 12. Kieran MADDEN, 14. Matthew CLINTON, 15. Luke LAVELLE, 16. Ryan MARSDEN, 17. Stelvio da ROCHA.


Match report, courtesy of George Heslop.

From the previous week's line-up against the same opposition, Altrincham were without their three leading scorers, Shaw, Whiteside (both injured) and Linney (ill). This led to James Smart, Joel Brownhill and Glodi Kuba-Kuba being reintroduced to the starting line-up.

The game kicked off with Altrincham taking the initiative. As early as the fourth minute, Glodi Kuba-Kuba fired in a poweful shot, which Nathan Beckett, the opposition keeper, turned over the bar for a corner. Altrincham continued in a very positive maner, having plenty of possession but being generally lacking in the last third of the field, which led to them not putting any shots on target.

However, they were made to pay for this in the 36th minute when the left-winger cut in and scored with a well placed shot into the far corner of Thorn's goal, giving Woodley Sports a 1-0 lead. Then, in the 38th minute, Woodley's no.10 was booked. This led to him being substituted, a minute later.

Leading up to half-time, Altrincham struggled with their passing game and Woodley started to cause more problems and looked the happier team at the interval.


Early in the second half Woodley replaced their no.5, Jack Waring and adopted a more attacking formation (49 mins). This led to Altrincham conceding a needless penalty in the 58th minute when Josh Granite, Woodley's captain and number four, made his way across the Altrincham box from right to left, moving away from goal. However, Bromiley-Blackburn interceded with a tackle and was adjudged to have conceded a penalty, which was converted to give Woodley a 2-0 advantage.

In the 60th minute things went from bad to worse for Altrincham when Dominic Bates, as last man, made a poor challenge just outside the area and was dismissed, leaving Altrincham with ten men.

Shortly after this, the home side mnade a change, substituting Niall Sheridan and playing as his replacement, Kieran Madden, up front, and moving Joel Brownhill to left midfield. This line up only lasted another two minutes before Joel Brownhill left the field with a severe headache and sickness. His place was taken by Luke Lavelle with 24 minutes remaining. Altrincham reverted to three at the back. This seemed to upset woodley, as they were forced on to the defensive.

In the 71st minute, Brown and Bennett linked well and Bennett fed a good ball to Madden inside the box and he reduced the deficit to 1-2. Then, with three minutes of normal time remaining, Glodi Kuba-Kuba made a strong, forceful run down the right wing and crossed to the near post where Madden popped up to force the ball home, 2-2. Full time was reached with Altrincham's ten men having staged an amazing come-back.

Extra time kicked off with Altrincham's ten men still going well and competing very well against a strong Woodley rearguard. Then, with two minutes of the first half of extra time remaining, Woodley took a 3-2 lead after a couple of very tired tackles. The game was ultimately decided in the 107th minute when Woodley scored their fourth and final goal to decide the tie.

This was Altrincham's second defeat in 13 games but, more disappointing was going out in the first round of a competition which they had won three times and in which they had been runners up four times in ten years.

Woodley Sports won 4-2 after extra time