FA Youth Cup Preliminary Round
played on Wednesday, 9 September 2009, at 7.45pm


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts and red socks): 1. James THORN, 2. Ben SHAWCROSS, 3. James SMART, 4. Dominic BATES, 5. Rory BRADBURY, 6. John BENNETT, 7. Blaine WHITESIDE , 8. Dan SHAW (capt), 9. Glodi KUBA-KUBA, 10. Michael LINNEY, 11. Niall SHERIDAN. Subs: 12. Liam BROMILEY-BLACKBURN, 14. Matthew CLINTON, 15. Jamie BROWN, 16. Kieran MADDEN, GK. James FOSSDYKE.

DAISY HILL YOUTH (All blue): 1. Drew HAMILTON 2. Nathon HATTON, 3. Marcus BURNS, 4. Aaron BUCKLEY, 5. Danny HALLORAN (capt), 6. Sam KNOWLES, 7. Matthew McCUSKER, 8. Jake MARSH, 9. Corey HIGSON, 10. David BURROWS, 11. Ian BLACK. Subs: 12. Danny ALDRED, 14. Adam HILTON, 15. Ferre EDWARDS.


Altrincham made three changes from last Sunday's league game with goalkeeper James Thorn, left winger Niall Sheridan and right-winger Blaine Whiteside coming into the side in place of James Fossdyke, Joel Brownhill and Jamie Brown. Brownhill was injured in last Sunday's match.

Altrincham got off to the best possible start, going ahead as the first minute of the game reached its conclusion. The goal came when Bennett's well-struck freekick from 30 yards out was pushed onto the crossbar by Hamilton and, before the keeper could gather the ball in a goal-line melee, Blaine Whiteside poked it home from close range.

But Daisy Hill responded by winning the game's first corner, following a freekick conceded by Alty. Next, in the 18th minute Shaw forced the keeper to tip the ball over the bar for an Altrincham corner. Soon afterwards, Bates advanced up the pitch and found Linney well. The striker's excellent looping half-volley just cleared the bar (19 mins). But Alty soon went 2-0 up when Whiteside drove home a superb, low shot from 22 yards, right of goal, the ball entering the net off the far post (20 mins).

After Whiteside had run 50 yards to chase down the ball, he got possession and fed Linney but the keeper smothered the ball at the striker's feet (2 mins). Three Daisy Hill corners followed. Between the first two, Sheridan, who was doing well on the left wing, fired narrowly wide. After 27 minutes the visitors made a substitution as a number 16, (not listed on the team sheet) came on for Hatton.

Despite the adverse corner-count, Altrincham were now on top and when Shawcross's excellent freekick hit the bar it could have made things even worse for the visitors (33 mins). Another Alty chance soon followed when a good move ended with Linney's shot hitting the post and rebounding to Kuba-Kuba. But the Alty man headed over the inviting goal (34 mins). Soon a fine ball from Bates found Sheridan on the left. The ball then came across the area to Shaw. Keeper Hamilton beat out his shot but Linney was on hand to put the loose ball in the net to make it 3-0 (37 mins).

Another three Daisy Hill corners followed in succession as Altrincham were slow to react quickly enough to the first two, which were taken short. After this, Shawcross fired narrowly wide at the other end from 30 yards out (40 mins). But another flowing Alty move up the left brought them a fourth goal as Shaw drove the ball home (41 mins).


At the interval, Daisy Hill brought on Edwards for Burns. Altrincham's impressive long range shooting continued as Bennett fired a 40-yarder narrowly wide (47 mins). Next, a fine ball forward by Smart set Kuba-Kuba free but he put his shot over the bar. Soon, however, Kuba-Kuba fed Shaw who advanced with pace into the box where he went down under a challenge from a defender. The referee awarded a penalty which Shawcross converted, though the keeper guessed the right direction (56 mins).

But not much more than a minute later, Daisy Hill earned a penalty, too, when Bates used his arm to impede Burrows. Halloran beat Thorn from the spot to make it 5-1 (58 mins). The game went through a scrappy period, though Alty did win two more corners before Daisy Hill brought on Aldred for McCusker (65 mins). Two minutes later Alty replaced Bates by fellow defender Bromiley-Blackburn (67 mins). A fine tackle by Bradbury stopped a Daisy Hill attack before, in the 70th minute, Madden replaced Kuba-Kuba up front for Altrincham.

Daisy Hill now enjoyed a good spell and won a second penalty when a player was impeded as a cross came into the box from the right. This time Black, who had been looking lively in attack for the visitors, took the spot kick. But he struck the bar and the ball was cleared (74 mins).

Whiteside now gave way to Brown for the hosts (77 mins). After an Alty corner, Daisy Hill's Higson went on a good run and went down on the edge of the box but no foul was given. Soon, Shaw dispossessed Knowles as he tried to dribble out of defence and the Alty captain evaded a couple of challenges to advance into the box and score impressively to make it 6-1 (82 mins). Altrincham were not finished yet and a couple of minutes before the end Linney made it 7-1 when he coolly chipped the ball over the keeper after Hamilton had done well to block Malden’s initial shot.

Though the scoring was now over, there was still time for Daisy Hill's McCusker to be sent off in the 90th minute when, as last man and just outside the box, he brought down Madden, who had been set free by Linney. Nothing came of the freekick and the final whistle soon sounded on a comprehensive victory. Alty now meet the winners of Cammell Laird versus Northwich Victoria in the first qualifying round in a fortnight's time at Moss Lane.