Match Reports, 2004-05



Cheshire FA District Cup match
on Sunday, 26 September 2004, at 2pm
at Woodley Sports FC


ALTRINCHAM & DISTRICT FA YOUTH (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Chris BOWCOTT, 2. Paul LEWIS (capt), 3. Tom BANE, 4. Tom HORNER, 5. Sean COPPACK, 6. Alex MIKE, 7. Marcus MADDIX, 8. Rick HINDS, 9. Sam CAWTHRA, 10. Lee HENDLEY, 11. Ryan STEWART. Subs: 12. Terrell FREEMAN, 14. Arron HEVINGHAM, 15. Adam WALKER, 16. Terry LEIGH, 18. Sam FOX (gk).


The timing of this match was bad for Altrincham FA as Altrincham FC Youth team were to be involved in an important FA Youth Cup match the following day (Monday) against Southport. So, there were numerous changes to the FC side which played at Eagley last weekend. But, despite the changes it was the same old story as Alty went two down inside a quarter of an hour, just as they had in the District Cup game against Mid-Cheshire earlier this season. A mix-up between the Alty defence and goalkeeper as Bowcott came out to deal with a ball up the middle saw the keeper and defender collide and the Stockport number ten emerge from the melee with the ball at his feet. He then rolled the ball into an empty net from the edge of the box (4 mins). After a Stockport corner and a shot wide of the target, the hosts made it 2-0 when the their no.10 was judged to have broken through the offside trap and he shot home cleanly from 15 yards (15 mins).

Alty now made a tactical change with Lewis moving into midfield and Hinds going to right back. Alex Mike was looking Alty's best hope of a comeback but he was well marshalled by the Stockport defence. Alty did win a couple of corners before an enforced change saw Maddix, who had been playing in central midfield rather than in his customary back-four role, limp off to be replaced by Arron Hevingham (22 mins).

Horner then got in a good tackle to stop another Stockport advance before a freekick by Hevingham found Coppack, but he could only head wide of the Stockport goal. Coppack was soon involved at the other end when he brought down an opponent in the box to concede a penalty. The Stockport captain and number ten completed his first half hat-trick by sending Bowcott the wrong way from the spot (37 mins).

Hendley then rounded the Stockport keeper to the right of goal and crossed, inside, to Cawthra but he sliced his effort wide (39 mins). Stewart was then booked for a foul on an opponent (43 mins). Almost immediately after this, the Stockport no.10 was booked for senselessly putting the ball in to the net after the ref's whistle had gone. Alty won two late corners but the score remained three-nil at the break.


At the interval, Alty brought on striker Terrell Freeman to replace Coppack at centre-back. Alty were now playing a little better but almost suffered when the referee over-ruled his assistant and reversed a throw-in decision, catching Alty on the hop. In fact the game included several curious decisions by the officials. Despite their improvement Alty went further behind when Bowcott was beaten to the ball by the Stockport no.11 who toe-poked the ball home from 18 yards, right of goal (53 mins).

Hendley then sprang the offside trap but the keeper made a good save (55 mins). At this point Cawthra gave way up front to Adam Walker (56 mins). From a throw-in, taken by Hinds, and won by Walker's persistence, the ball came off a defender to Hendley who tapped the ball home to make it 4-1 (58 mins). In the second half, Hinds's long throws were proving as effective a weapon as anything in the Alty armoury but his side conceded a fifth goal when an attack up the left saw the Stockport no.9 lob Bowcott at the near post. The retreating Horner could only help the ball into the net (68 mins).

Just after a Mike shot had gone well wide, Stockport brought on no.15 to replace the hat-trick scorer (no.10), (73 mins). Another Stockport sub (no.16) replaced no.9 after 79 minutes. Alty had another escape when the home no.15 got clear but his shot hit the post (83 mins). Stockport's third sub was no.14, who replaced no.6 (86 mins). Play was stopped late in the game when a dog got on the pitch and it took a minute or more to get it off again. Alty's miserable afternoon ended when Bane was harshly booked in the last minute.

With half an eye on tomorrow's FA Youth Cup match, it was not surprising that Altrincham were not at their best today. Hopefully when back to full strength on Monday, they will avoid the defensive lapses which cost them dear today.