Match Reports, 2004-05



Cheshire FA District Youth Cup
at Shawe View, Trafford FC
on Sunday, 5 September 2004, at 2pm.


ALTRINCHAM & DISTRICT FA YOUTH (Pale blue shirts, black shorts, pale blue socks) 1. Sam FOX, 2. Lee SCANLON, 3. Terry LEIGH, 4. Marcus MADDIX, 5. Tim HORNER, 6. James MONAGHAN, 7. Aron HEVINGHAM (capt.), 8. Paul LEWIS, 9. Ben DEEGAN, 10. Lee HENDLEY, 11. Ryan STEWART. Subs: 12. Sam CAWTHRA, 14. Alex MIKE, 15. Terrell FREEMAN, 16. Rich HINDS, 17. Chris BAILEY.

MID-CHESHIRE FA YOUTH (Orange shirts, black shorts and black/orange socks) 1. Calum JONES, 2. Craig HARRIS, 3. Andy HADZIK, 4. Ben MORGAN, 5. Simon PATTERSON, 6. Shane DICKER, 7. Ashley FLOOD, 8. Tony SWAN, 9. Ben HADDOCK, 10. Den JENNINGS, 11. Dave ROBERTS. Sub: 12. Ricky JONES.

Above: Swan (no.8) heads the first goal.

Altrincham FA made several changes to the line-up employed by Altrincham FC Youth team recently. This was partly due to some of their players being involved with Manchester FA. However, there were also some positional changes with Ryan Stewart moving from left-back to left midfield, Terry Leigh going into defence after playing the last game up front and Ben Deegan moving up front from midfield. Coming into the side was centre-back Tom Horner.

As ever, the pitch at Shawe View was in excellent condition as Alty kicked off on a hot, sunny afternoon. Although they won a corner almost immediately, Alty were soon on the back foot as the visitors won two corners of their own after a good shot by Roberts had been well saved by Fox. From the second corner, Swan was left in space behind six Alty outfield players in the six-yard box and he headed home the game's opening goal after just seven minutes. Just as in the Altrincham FC match against Bootle a fortnight ago, Altrincham now conceded a second early goal. This time, after Alty had failed to clear the ball, Cheshire County striker Haddock made no mistake with a shot from 12 yards (10 mins).

Over the next minutes, Altrincham improved and almost got a goal back when Hendley did well to get to the by-line but his cross was cleared. Then from Deegan's cross, Hevingham shot wide (24 mins). Four minutes after a Mid-Cheshire corner had been cleared, Alty scored. A move involving Maddix, Monaghan and Deegan saw the keeper save Deegan's firm shot but the ball came out to Hendley whose mis-hit shot nevertheless found the net (28 mins).

Hendley (left) scores Alty's first goal, as Deegan (9) looks on.

Mid-Cheshire responded by forcing a save from Fox but Altrincham were now more than holding their own after their slow start. Stewart shot narrowly too high (33 mins), but the Alty lads were also caught offside several times. After County keeper Jones had smothered the ball at Deegan's feet, the goalkeeper was injured on the knee. However, after treatment, the referee booked him, presumably for a verbal offence and awarded Alty a corner. Altrincham played a "sporting" corner, returning the ball to the opposition.


Mid-Cheshire almost scored soon after the interval but then good play by Hendley at the by-line led to a Deegan shot which was blocked (49 mins). Alty were looking the more likely to score as Hendley's shot was fumbled by the keeper for a corner. Deegan then did well to dispossess an opponent but his well-hit shot came back off the upright (60 mins). At this point Cawthra and Mike came on for Monaghan and Deegan. But, against the run of play, Mid-Cheshire made it 3-1 when Jennings and Swan combined on the right and from the cross, Haddock took the ball past a defender before slotting it into the net (64 mins).

Haddock (centre) scores Mid-Cheshire's third.

Altrincham responded well, with Hevingham feeding Hendley who scored from 15 yards (66 mins). A minute later Mike's first-time shot went narrowly wide from Hendley's pass. Alty had two corners, with Cawthra firing over from the first. Alty now brought on Hinds at right back to replace Scanlon who had needed treatment shortly beforehand (76 mins). Hendley shot over the bar soon afterwards before Swan did the same at the other end. A poor freekick from Maddix then set the lively Jennings in on goal but his shot came back off the upright. Mid-Cheshire more than held their own in the closing stages and Altrincham were unable to get an equaliser.

Once again, an Altrincham side had been left chasing the game after two early lapses and had given themselves too much to do.