Lancit Haulage Lancashire League Match
played on Friday, 28 October, 2005, at 7.45pm


ALTRINCHAM RESERVES (Red & white striped shirts, white shorts, red socks): 1. Lee MILNER, 2. Steve ASPINALL, 3. Ashley BROWN, 4. Laurence BALL, 5. Daniel HEFFERNAN, 6. Dwaine LINDSAY (capt), 7. Michael BROWN, 8. Lewis CHALMERS, 9. Kieran LUGSDEN, 10. Rod THORNLEY, 11. Pat McFADDEN,. Subs: 12. James MARSDEN, 14. John MALONEY, 15. Lewis SCHOFIELD.


This report is based on information kindly supplied by Neil Brown

Altrincham rang the changes again as first teamers Steve Aspinall, Kieran Lugsden, Lewis Chalmers and Rod Thornley joined the starting line-up. Lee Milner returned in goal and Laurence Ball was restored at centre-back but Paul Monaghan was sidelined by the injury he picked up at Chorley. On a difficult and sloping pitch, Alty went ahead after 15 minutes with a solo goal from Pat McFadden, who went past 3 or 4 challenges to score. After 24 minutes Lindsay found Lugsden who was played onside by one of the Clitheroe back four. Lugsden found McFadden and he beat the keeper to make it 2-0. Both Lugsden and Thornley looked sharp and both had further first half chances chances. With McFadden, Thornley and Lugsden, Clitheroe were effectively facing a three-pronged attack.


Clitheroe got back into the match after 57 minutes with a well taken goal. After 63 minutes Rod Thornley was replaced by John Maloney and Lewis Schofield came on for Kieran Lugsden. At this point Lindsay and McFadden went up front. Two minutes later James Marsden came on for Lewis Chalmers, with Aspinall moving into midfield as Marsden settled in at right-back. For the quarter of an hour or so after their goal, the home side were on top but Alty finished strongly.

McFadden completed his hat trick after 80 minutes. Ashley Brown on the left found Schofield who beat the right back and he crossed with power, the ball going across the face of goal about 10 yards out, where Maloney's head directed the ball to McFadden. He chested the ball before leathering a volley into the net. Alty's fourth arrived after 87 minutes when McFadden went round three players before turning and flicking the ball to Lindsay who struck it on the volley, sidefooted, into the net.

For the second game running Alty were denied a goal in the dying seconds. This time Ashley Brown ran at an angle at the opposition but was losing his balance under a challenge when he managed to poke it towards goal where Maloney finished, but the referee ruled it out for offside. Alty had played very well, apart from the spell in the middle of the second half. McFadden picked up a knock but recovered in time to make his first-team debut 48 hours later at Burton, a well deserved reward for his goalscoring exploits this season.