Lancit Haulage Lancashire League Match
played on Friday, 14 October, 2005, at 7.45pm


SOUTHPORT RESERVES (Yellow shirts, black shorts & socks): 1. Barry TIERNEY, 2. Lee CREHAN, 3. Dan TIMSON, 4. Mark SWANN, 5. Michael HOWEY (capt)., 6. Tom FIELD, 7. Paul WORDLEY, 8. Kenny ROLLINSON, 9. Phil STANCOMBE, 10. Steve O'BRIEN, 11. Liam HEALEY. Subs: 12. Paul JOHNS, 14. Paul AGNEW, 15. Mike EDGAR, 16. David BROOKS, 17. Aaron CAMERON.

ALTRINCHAM RESERVES (Red & white striped shirts, white shorts, red socks): 1. Billy BLOWER, 2. Paul MONAGHAN, 3. Ashley BROWN, 4. Stephen ROSE, 5. Laurence BALL, 6. Steve ASPINALL (capt), 7. Gary WILLIAMS, 8. John MALONEY, 9. Pat McFADDEN, 10. Lee HENDLEY, 11. James OLSEN. Subs: 13. Todd CUNLIFFE, 14. Michael BROWN, 15. Daniel HEFFERNAN, 16. James MARSDEN.

  • Ref: Mr A Gear.


    This report is based on information kindly supplied by Neil Brown

    Altrincham made numerous changes from last weekend's team to accommodate the needs of the first-team to give players match practice. So, Paul Monaghan reverted to right back and Ashley Brown to left-back as Lutel James and Kirk Hilton re-joined the first-team squad. But first-teamer Stephen Rose came into defence for Colin McAllister and Steve Aspinall captained the side whilst three more first-team squad members, Gary WIlliams, James Olsen and Lee Hendley, all started. On the bench, James Marsden returned after his lengthy suspension, against a club for whom he used to play. Billy Blower replaced Lee Milner in goal,

    At start of play Southport lay fourth in the table and Altrincham were top but had played three more games in gleaning twelve points more than their opponents. Port Reserves are managed by Joey Dunn, who was part of Mark Ward's managerial team during his spell at Altrincham in 2000-01. Southport had recently beaten the previously unbeaten Moreccambe so promised a stern test for the Robins.

    Watched by Alty first team captain Mark Maddox, the game remained goalless, in a generally even but fast-paced first half, till 40 minutes had passed. Then, a ball from the back found John Maloney, who went round a defender before losing the ball. However, he fought to win it back and fed McFadden. He went past an opponent and cut in but was brought down to win a penalty. Steve Aspinall sent Tierney the wrong way from the spot, as the keeper dived to his right.


    At half -time Southport brought on Brooks for Stancombe and he equalised early in the half following a freekick on their right. A curling shot came in to keeper Blower which struck him on the chest and bounced out for a Southport player to tap the ball home (50 mins). However, Blower was to go on to make several fine saves in the second half.

    Alty regained the lead five minutes later when John Maloney laid the ball off to McFadden. He passed inside to Hendley who laid the ball across the front of the penalty area to Maloney who struck the ball superbly into the top corner of the net from 25 yards (55 mins). But to keep his feet on the ground, manager Neil Brown is keen to remind John of his failed lob towards the end of the game which was so underhit that it do not even go out of play!

    On the hour mark, Mike Brown came on for Lee Hendley so Gary Williams moved from the right to go up front as Mike settled on the right wing. At the same time, Danny Heffernan came on for James Olsen on the left. Gary Williams made it 3-1 after 63 minutes following an Alty corner on the left. Williams shot home from 5 yards but a Southport player scooped the ball out with his hands and play continued as a follow-up shot was cleared. However, the referee then blew his whistle to give Altrincham the goal as the ball had crossed the line before the handball.

    After 68 minutes Edgar replaced Swann for Southport and James Marsden returned to action for Alty, replacing Stephen Rose. It soon became 4-1 when McFadden scored (72 mins). The goal arrived after Aspinall had found Maloney who, in turn, fed Williams. Gary beat his man and fired in a shot, but hurt his foot in the process. The ball came to McFadden off the keeper and, with his back to goal, McFadden took the ball right before he swung round to his left and shot the ball past two defenders into the net. Williams had to limp off with his foot injury, leaving Alty with ten men. On 75 minutes, Johns replaced Crehan for Port.

    Towards the end, the home side was also reduced to ten men following a foul on O'Brien after which he could not continue. Relishing(?) his new nickname of "Ole" (after Solskjaer), super-sub Danny Heffernan scored the fifth goal (85 mins). He got the ball on the left near half way and switched the ball neatly from his left to his right foot as he went past two opponents. He slightly over-touched the ball but it ricocheted off both a challenging defender and Danny himself to leave him free, 22 yards out from goal. As the keeper came out Danny curled the ball gently round him to make it 5-1 (85 mins).