Lancit Haulage Lancashire League Match
played on Saturday, 8 October, 2005, at noon


ALTRINCHAM RESERVES: 1. Lee MILNER, 2. Steve ASPINALL, 3. Kirk HILTON, 4. Colin McALLISTER (capt), 5. Laurence BALL, 6. John MALONEY, 7. Michael BROWN, 8. Paul MONAGHAN, 9. Pat McFADDEN, 10. Lutel JAMES, 11. Ashley BROWN. Subs: 13. Billy BLOWER, 14. Daniel HEFFERNAN, 15. Ryan STEWART, 16. Danny GRIMSHAW.


This report is bsed on information kindly supplied by Neil Brown

With the first team away at Canvey Island, this was a rare chance for those supporters unable to travel to Essex to get to see the Reserves for a daytime game. Indeed, the England v Austria prompted a noon kick off at Moss Lane. Compared with the team which drew with Workington last Wednesday, today's team included Lee Milner in goal and Paul Monaghan reverted to his favoured midfield role with Conall Murtagh having moved on. John Maloney replaced Nehru McKenzie, who has gone on loan to Mossley whilst Steve Aspinall had another run out as he attempts to regain fitness.

For their part Accrington included at least four first-teamers (Navarro, Ventre, Mangan and Williams) but the delayed arrival of the Accrington goalkeeper meant that the game kicked off late. Alty took the lead around the 20 minute mark when Lutel James scored after a McFadden shot had been parried by the goalkeeper. Accrington levelled before the interval when one of their players was not tracked and he slotted the ball home.


Early in the second half, Accrington won a freekick about 28 yards out on the left. As Milner was arranging his defensive wall, Accrington took the kick. Milner dived for it but the ball came back off the upright and a Stanley player beat Kirk Hilton to the ball to tap it into the net as Milner was getting to his feet.

After 52 minutes, Danny Heffernan came on for Steve Aspinall, who was substituted as a precaution as he recovers from a summer operation. As a consequence, Paul Monaghan moved to right back to replace Aspinall. Danny Grimshaw came on for Mike Brown after 58 minutes and Alty changed from their initial 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 as the visitors changed formation to protect their lead. Ryan Stewart came on for Ashley Brown (62 minutes). Alty levelled when Heffernan sent in a powerful shot which came to Pat McFadden. He killed the ball and switched it from his right to his left foot before burying a shot into the bottom corner.

In the second half Altrincham were on top but the scores remained level until 45 seconds from the end, when Alty won a corner on the right. The ball was cleared out to Monaghan who fed Danny Grimshaw. His wicked cross from the right found the unmarked McAllister, who rose well to flick a header into the bottom corner and secure Alty's win.

The next game is away at Southport on Friday evening. With both James Marsden and Rico Richards now having completed their suspensions, manager Neil Brown has a virtually full squad available for selection.