Lancit Haulage Lancashire League Match
played on Friday, 9 September, 2005


BARROW RESERVES: 1. Morsby, 2. McDonald, 3. Melia, 4. Coombes, 5. Hill, 6. Burgess, 7. Rushden, 8. Simpson, 9. Mansergh, 10. Kewley, 11. Swarbrick. Subs: 12. Fidler, 14. Kinney, 15. Wilson, 16. Crimms, 17. Lancaster.

ALTRINCHAM RESERVES: 1. Lee MILNER, 2. Karl MUNROE, 3. Kirk HILTON, 4. Colin McALLISTER, 5. Danny HEFFERNAN, 6. Dwaine LINDSAY (capt), 7. Lewis CHALMERS, 8. Griff JONES, 9. Lee HENDLEY, 10. Rod THORNLEY, 11. Pat McFADDEN. Subs: 12. Paul MONAGHAN, 14. Michael BROWN, 15. Michael SUTTON, 16. Danny GRIMSHAW, 17. Ashley BROWN.


Report based on information kindly provided by Neil Brown.

Once again manager Neil Brown had to make numerous changes, this time chiefly because of the need to include first first-team squad members who were either returning from injury (Hilton, Munroe, Thornley) or who needed to maintain their fitness after being on the bench recently (Hendley, Chalmers). As some or all of these five had been expected to be included in the first-team squad the following day, it was planned that none of the five would play much more than half a game at Barrow.

Barrow took the lead around the 20-minute mark. The goal came after an Alty corner which Chalmers took. The ball was cleared back to Chalmers but his resulting cross went to the opposition. They then broke away, with five men against three from Altrincham and worked the ball into a one-on-one with keeper Milner. The Barrow man took the ball round the Alty keeper to score into an open net. Some of the Alty first team squad members were having difficulty adjusting their game to the slightly different pattern of the Reserves particularly as regards closing men down quickly when in the opponents' half.

But Alty levelled after 34 minutes when Milner fed Hilton whose fine pass set Hendley free. Although he was caught offside on several occasions in this match, this time Lee timed his run well and flicked the ball on to get round the centre-back. He then drew the keeper to score a good goal into a vacant net. After 40 minutes, Alty took the lead. Chalmers and Hendley were involved in the build-up with Thornley finishing the move off when he tapped home a cross from the right by Hendley.


At the interval, Paul Monaghan replaced Karl Munroe. Then, after 55 minutes Mike Brown came on for Griff Jones. Jones had been suffering with a throat ailment and was having breathing difficulties. Chalmers now moved to central-midfield and McFadden pushed forward, with Brown slotting in on the wing. At the same time, Thornley gave way to Mike Sutton.

After 67 minutes, Monaghan found Brown, who despite having difficulty in controlling the ball, managed to poke it on well to Hendley. The striker drew a defender before feeding Sutton. He took a touch before blasting a rocket-shot into the net to make it 3-1 to the visitors.

After this, Barrow threw three men forward and played a back three. However, Alty held them well with Milner making a good save to smother a dangerous effort. Once again Heffernan had a good game in his unaccustomed centre-back position and he has now earned the nickname of "Phil Neville" from his team-mates! Indeed, after the substitution of the three first teamers, the Reserves continued to play well and consolidated their excellent start to the season.