Altrincham FC Match Reports

at Hilton Park

Lancit Haulage Lancashire League Match
played on Saturday, 3 September, 2005


LEIGH RMI RESERVES: 1. Danny MORTON, 2. Andy DAINTON, 3. Scott JOHNSON, 4. Dave CONLON (capt), 5. Chris ROBINSON, 6. Ben LENDERS, 7. Mike CAVANAGH, 8. Will RIDER, 9. Joe WARMINGTON, 10. Adio MARCHANT, 11. Ian HORTON. Subs: 12. Michael ROONEY (gk), 14. Rick SMITH, 15. Scott TUNNICLIFFE, 16. Yaya SHOLA, 17. Paul LEWIS.

ALTRINCHAM RESERVES: 1. Craig ELLISON, 2. Paul MONAGHAN, 3. Ryan STEWART, 4. Colin McALLISTER, 5. Danny HEFFERNAN, 6. Dwaine LINDSAY (capt), 7. Michael BROWN, 8. Griff JONES, 9. Michael SUTTON, 10. Pat McFADDEN, 11. Danny GRIMSHAW. Subs: 12. Daniel CAMPBELL, 13. Lee MILNER (gk), 14. Anthony BINGHAM, 15. Hassan ZAREH-OURANG.


Report based on information kindly provided by Neil Brown.

Once again Neil Brown had to shuffle his pack as injuries, suspensions and unavailability altered the pool of players available for selection. First-team squad players such as Richard Acton, Mark Maddox and Lee Hendley, who played for the Reserves in their last game were otherwise engaged today with the first team at Hereford. Ashley Brown and Kwame Barnett were injured as was winger Tom Baker, who made a good impression last week against Lancaster. Also, Reserves' captain James Marsden as well as Rico Richards and John Maloney were suspended. Amongst the resulting changes, Danny Heffernan was named in an unaccustomed centre-back role.

Leigh included a number of ex-Alty youth and reserve players including Adio Marchant, Ian Horton, Richard Smith and Paul Lewis.

For the first quarter of an hour or so, Leigh pressed as the Alty midfielders were tending to get too far forward. After 20 minutes, Marchant limped off with a groin injury to be replaced by Lewis. But although Alty had the better of the rest of the half, it was Leigh who took the lead after 40 minutes following a mistake on the left by Alty.


After 53 minutes Alty made a double change as Danny Campbell replaced Mike Sutton and Anthony Bingham came on for Danny Grimshaw on the left. Alty were then awarded an unexpected penalty when the ball was judged to have struck a Leigh player's arm. Jones took the spot kick and converted it well (56 mins).

After Hassan Zareh-Ourang replaced Danny Heffernan at centre-back after 65 minutes, Alty got a second after 72 minutes. This came when McFadden, who had been playing well as he drifted from wing to wing, was losing his balance under a challenge yet managed to get the ball to Campbell. He was left with a simple conversion which he completed to make it 2-1. When Bingham advanced into the box, after 75 minutes, he was brought down but this time no penalty was given. Though Leigh pushed three men forward in the closing stages, neither side could score again though each had a couple of presentable chances.

The win lifted Altrincham to third in the league table.