Pre-Season Friendly Match
played on Saturday, 13 August, 2005


ALTRINCHAM RESERVES: 1. Lee MILNER, 2. Paul MONAGHAN, 3. Ashley BROWN, 4. James MARSDEN (capt), 5. Colin McALLISTER, 6. Dwaine LYNSEY, 7. Mike BROWN, 8. John MALONEY, 9. Griff JONES, 10. Pat McFADDEN, 11. Daniel HEFANAN. Subs: 12. Ryan STEWART, 13. Craig ELLISON (gk), 14. Anthony BINGHAM, 15. Daniel FROST, 16. Daniel GRIMSHAW, 17. Michael SUTTON.


Based on information kindly supplied by Neil Brown.

Leigh RMI Reserves had only managed to beat West Didsbury & Chorlton 1-0 in the hosts' last game so Altrincham expected a tight match. But, they were already 4-0 up after just seven minutes.

The goals started after two minutes when Hefanan found Lynsey in midfield and, via Jones, the ball came to Grimshaw, who went past two defenders and as the keeper came out, he slotted the ball into the right corner of the net. After four minutes, with Altrincham's pace troubling their opponents, Lynsey in midfield flicked the ball over to Hefanan who, in turn, found McFadden. He fed Maloney who slotted the ball home, sidefooted, from 10 yards. It became 3-0 after six minutes when McFadden beat a defender for pace before shooting past the keeper into the bottom, left corner. A minute later it was 4-0. McFadden and Monaghan got the ball to Jones, whose mishit effort went to Michael Brown on the far right. He played a good pass to McFadden who, again, beat a defender before powering a shot into the corner of the net.

But West Didsbury replied with a goal on 18 minutes after keeper Milner had called for the ball but failed to hold it. Marsden and Monaghan then collided as they attempted to clear the danger and left an open goal for Mohammed to score. The scorer had, ironically, been loaned to the opposition by Alty for whom he had applied for trials.

But Alty soon went to the other end and made it 5-1, after 21 minutes, when slick play, involving Hefanan and Lynsey saw the ball flicked to Maloney and on to Brown on the wing. He found McFadden who scored. It was 6-1 after 25 minutes when Griffiths got the ball and Mike Brown then found Mongahan on the overlap. The passing continued, via McFadden to Griff Jones, who rounded the keeper to score into an open goal.

After 40 minutes Ashley Brown limped off to be replaced by Frost.


Alty were playing very well with pace and neat one-touch passing but their opponents' physical response led to problems in the second half. Just before the hour goalkeeper Ellison slid out to gather the ball as Mohammed advanced and the striker's boot connected with the keeper's head after the ball had been gathered by Ellison. With Ellison looking badly hurt, a melee developed and the referee sent off Mohammed, though Alty allowed a replacement player to come on. Then McFadden was elbowed in the face and after a studs-up tackle caught former Vics man, Bingham, Alty manager Neil Brown withdrew his side from the game to avoid further injuries. It was an unfortunate end to a "friendly" game.