Pre-Season Friendly Match
played on Saturday, 6 August, 2005


ALTRINCHAM RESERVES: 1. Craig ELLISON, 2. Paul MONAGHAN, 3. Ashley BROWN, 4. James MARSDEN (capt), 5. Colin McALLISTER, 6. Dwaine LYNSEY, 7. Michael BROWN, 8. John MALONEY, 9. Griff JONES, 10. Pat McFADDEN, 11. Ryan STEWART. Subs: 12. Dave FROST, 14. Sean PRESTON, 15. Danny HEFFANAN, 16. James MONAGHAN, 17. Adil BASHIR.


Based on information kindly supplied by Neil Brown.

In the Alty side today at centre-back was Colin McAllister, formerly with Stockport County, and John Maloney, from Old Alts, who had impressed when playing against Altrincham earlier this week. A new face on the bench was Adil Bashir, formerly at Fletcher Moss, where he gained a reputation for coming off the bench to score. As the original referee was unavailable, a substitute was found by the home club.

Alty went ahead after four minutes when Lynsey, in midfield, got the ball to McFadden. Despite some appeals for offside, McFadden went on to bang the ball home. After eleven minutes the referee awarded a dubious penalty when Albion's big no.10 slipped and as he got to his feet was allegedly brought down. The spot-kick was converted to make it 1-1.

After 14 minutes Monaghan got the ball via Ellison to Stewart on the left. Stewart beat the full-back and the incoming McFadden volleyed the ball home to give Altrincham the lead once again.

Wilmslow got a second penalty when their no.10 again went down easily. Ellison saved the kick but the ball came out to the no.10 whose left-foot effort hit the right post and came out. It was cleared to McFadden on the left and, from his cross, Jones volleyed a good goal to make it 1-3 to the visitors (31 mins).


At the interval Frost came on as left-side centre-back alongside McAllister, Heffanan came on on the left wing and Preston was introduced up front. The substituted players were Marsden, Stewart and McFadden. Alty were not adapting to the relatively long grass and were underhitting their passes, and paid the price in the 48th minute when a mistake by Ellison, who spilled the ball after calling for it allowed the WIlmslow no.10 to score and make it 2-3.

Alty made several changes in the second half, amongst which were Bashir for Maloney (55 mins). Bashir went up front and Jones moved to midfield. After 70 minutes James Monaghan came on for Mike Brown on the right. Dwayne Lynsey was also substituted in the second half whilst Pat McFadden returned in place of Paul Monaghan five minutes from the end. With the game five minutes into added time, the Wilmslow no.10 again went down easily as Frost made minimal contact. The referee awarded the home side their third penalty of the game to the amazement of the visitors. This was converted to make it 3-3.