Match Reports, 2004-05


Lancashire League Match,
played on Wednesday, 8 December, 2004
at Victoria Park, Burscough

Report based on details kindly supplied by Neil Brown, Altrincham FC Reserves' manager.


ALTRINCHAM RESERVES: 1. Chris ROWLEY, 2. James MARSDEN, 3. Matt TOOTH, 4. George MELLING, 5. Adam BRINDLE, 6. Adio MARCHANT, 7. Michael BROWN, 8. Paul TILLEY. 9. Rosilyn DOCTA, 10. Adie ORE, 11. Danny GRIMSHAW. Subs: 12. Paul MONAGHAN, 14. Anthony WEALLE, 16. Ashley BROWN.


With Steve Everall out with a long-term injury, Spencer Liddiard unavailable as his wife was about to give birth and Sam Fox suspended, there was a Reserves' debut in goal for Chris Rowley who had played a couple of games last season for Altrincham Youth and more recently for Alsager Town Reserves. Mike Brown was on the right flank whilst Danny Grimshaw played on the left. Up front, there was a debut for Rosilyn Docta, who had joined from Bradford P.A., having scored against Alty earlier this season.

The Victoria Park pitch was in excellent condition but Alty were forced into an early change when Docta took a knock on his knee and had to be replaced by Wealle (21 mins). Play was fairly even and end to end, with the Alty back four doing well. Rowley also produced a fine save to push a shot round the post as it arrowed towards the top, left corner of the net. However, he was later powerless to stop a bullet shot from 30 yards but the ball came back off the upright.

Alty took the lead when, from just inside his own half, Marsden played a fine ball forward to Grimshaw who was in a central position. After controlling the ball, Grimshaw curled it, low, round the keeper into the net (27 mins).

Alty were playing well, especially up the right and Wealle was causing problems to the Burscough defence. With a playing style reminiscent of Rod Thornley, Wealle (26) also plays for Salford Beechfield and holds the goalscoring record of 59 goals in a season in the Lancashire and Cheshire League. Now, Wealle latched on to a defender's clearance, and with the keeper coming out to deal with the danger, Wealle chested the ball down and with his back to goal, lofted the ball over the keeper and into the net from 30 yards, the ball bouncing just in front of the goal-line before entering into the net (37 mins).

Burscough were giving Alty a good run for their money and won two corners, from which their big centre-half threatened. At half-time, Alty were told to keep up their good work.


In the second half, Alty held their two-goal lead till the 80th minute when the midfield allowed Burscough to advance. A pass then dissected the space between Melling and Brindle, leaving Rowley exposed and the resulting Burscough shot gave the Alty keeper no chance.

During the second half, Paul Monaghan replaced Paul Tilley (60 mins) and Ashley Brown came on for Danny Grimshaw (65 mins). Ashley, only 16, went on to give a good display.

This was an excellent team performance, which extended the Reserves' unbeaten run to seven games and was their fourth straight victory. After their slow start to the season and the inevitable regular changes which are forced on any Reserves' side, Neil Brown and his coaching team have got the newly reformed Altrincham Reserves playing well and climbing up the Lancashire League table. With several Reserves' players already graduating to the first-team squad this season, it has proved the value of having a Reserve side after a couple of seasons without a second eleven.