You are in the
PLAYERS OF 1903/04 page
Links to rest of site:
Home & News
Past Players



 Altrincham Football Club 
Players of 1903/04

ALTRINCHAM FC PLAYERS OF 1903/04

The following information is courtesy of Terry Rowley.

Altrincham FC - 1903-04

Reproduced from The Altrincham and Bowdon Guardian, August 29th and September 2nd, 1903.

The Altrincham Association Football Club (late Broadheath) held its first match on the new ground, Pollitt's Field, Moss Lane on Saturday afternoon. Two strong elevens were selected from a long list of those desirous of doing duty for the club and were:

Amber and Black:

  • Goal: H. Smith (Latchford)
  • Backs: H. Sampson (Penketh) & W. Davenport (local)
  • Halfbacks: W. Pennington (Earlstown), D. Morgan (Liverpool) & H. Barnett (Local)
  • Forwards: D.W. Halliwell (Stretford), H. Roscoe (Bolton), W. Gilmore (Openshaw), S. Partington (Bolton) & J. Riddings (Bolton).

    White:

  • Goal: S. Crawshaw
  • Backs: R. Cockram (local) & S. Mulline (Longsight)
  • Halfbacks: F. Cocking (Bennetts Memorial), S. Walker (Stockport) & J. Davis (Bennetts Memorial)
  • Forwards: M. Beat (Stockport), J. Cash (Openshaw), E. Todd (Army Team), R. Hamer (Army Team) & J. Pollitt (Local)

    The form displayed by many of the participants was promising and a good side will undoubtedly be chosen to oppose last season's league team today (Saturday)

    The alterations and improvements which are being executed on the ground are rapidly nearing completion and the committee hope to have the field in order for the match.

    The last year's league team will be as follows:

  • Goal: J. Barrow
  • Backs: S. Forster & R. Cockram
  • Halfbacks: E. Dunn, E. Bentley & W. Morse
  • Forwards: F. Valentine, G. Whitfield, G. Williams, J. Williams & C. Short

    Albert Butterworth one of last season's players who it was expected would figure in the trial game on Saturday has unfortunately broken his leg whilst playing football at Hyde last Saturday.


    September 2nd 1903

    Football (Association) - Altrincham

    The above named club had their second trial game on Saturday before a good attendance. The spectators appeared to enjoy the good play of the majority of the participants and also to appreciate the efforts of the committee to get together the best possible teams for the opening match.

    The sides were selected so as to bring last season's back division in opposition to the old forward line and vice versa. The result was a very interesting and even game.

    Red and black ran out winners by 4 goals to 3. The sides were as follows:

    Red and Black:

  • Goal: J. Barrow
  • Right Back: S. Foster, Left Back: R. Cockram
  • Right Half: E. Dunn, Centre Half: E. Bentley, Left Half: W. Morse. (All from last year's team).
  • Right Outside: M. Bent (late Stockport), Right Inside: R. Plumpton, Centre: E. Todd (late Army), Left Inside: R. Hamer (late Army), Left Outside J. Hughes (late Miles Platting)

    Whites:

  • Goal: W. Childs (late Stockport County)
  • Right back: T. Tomlinson (late Failsworth), Left Back: W. Pennington (Earlestown)
  • Right Half: S. Walker (late Stockport League), Centre Half: H. Sproston (late Openshaw Clarence), Left Half: H. Worthington (late Heywood)
  • Right Outside: F. Valentine, Right Inside: G. Whitfield, Centre: J. Williams (all last season's team).
  • Left Inside: T. Griffen (late Wigan United), Left Outside: C. Short (last season's Team)

    The only notable absentees from the two selected teams were G. Williams (last season's Team) and B.Tonge (late of Talbot) who were kept away by cricket.

    The Move to Moss Lane

    Pollitt's Field did not have a good surface and on at least one occasion a match had to be switched because the playing area was found not to be long enough! After the sale of some of the Stamford Estates land on Hale Moss to the Council, a new football ground was established on the current Moss Lane stadium site. This ground was formally opened on by Mr W.S. McCann on 3 September 1910 when Macclesfield Town were the visitors (and winners). For more on this see Terry Surridge's article, "The Robins' History" in the Robins Review for 21 November 1987.