Players who departed Altrincham in 2006 pre-season or in season 2006-07.


Formerly no. 3
  • Chris ADAMS (d.o.b. 10 October 1975)

    Chris, for many years an Altrincham postman but now working at a meat market, signed from Ashton United in late May 2001, after being at Alty previously in 1997 when he made just one substitute appearance. Before coming to Moss Lane he had played at Congleton Town with his unrelated namesake, Danny Adams. Chris moved from Moss Lane via Nantwich Town to Trafford and has also played at Droylsden, Northwich Victoria and Oldham Athletic in his career. Having returned to Moss Lane, Chris was ever-present in 2001-02 till sidelined by a hernia injury in December but he returned in August 2002 only to be released by Bernard Taylor after just two league games in 2002-03.

    Chris returned to Alty on the appointment of Graham Heathcote as manager and made his third 'debut' on 15 October, 2002 at Burscough, aftewards becoming the regular left-back. Chris was sidelined by a shoulder injury in January 2004 and then broke his right arm in February 2004, which ended his season. In 2004-05 he turned out both at left-back and in left-midfield and was ever-present till injured in late January, after which he returned to earn the Tom Earley Clubman of the Year award in 2005. Chris has twice been Alty's sub goalkeeper. He played 50 minutes in goal, at Harrogate in August 2003 and 35 minutes at Woodley in September 2005. A virtual ever-present early in 2005-06, Chris suffered a hairline fracture in his foot in February 2006 which sidelined him and he went on to play much of the remainder of the season whilst not fully fit. However, despite playing in 2006 pre-season, Chris was released on 31 July 2006 and signed for Witton Albion in mid-August 2006 but moved on to Droylsden the following month. Appearances on departure: 185(+4), 2 goals.

    Formerly no. 26.
  • Paul COLLINS

    A young left-back who played for Manchester City youth and reserve teams before being released. He played for Alty Reserves in September 2006 before signing Conference forms and sitting on the bench for the game at Forest Green on 19 September 2006. However, he left the club the following week. Appearances on departure: 0.

  • Formerly no.19
  • Lee HENDLEY (d.o.b. 7 April, 1987)

    Lee was signed, aged 18, on first-team non-contract terms on 24 August 2005 after impressing for the Reserves and went straight into the first-team squad at Aldershot on 27 August. In 2004-05 he claimed the Alty Youth team all-time scoring record with 34 goals and he also got 2 for the Reserves. He is a tall, skilful and very fast striker who was the Youth team captain in 2004-05. Lee made a strong impression with two goals on his first team debut start at Woodley in the Cheshire Senior Cup in September 2005 and then appeared in Conference National as a substitute. However, a foot injury sidelined him in October/November 2005 and theough he returned briefly to action in January 2006, he was not fit enought to play for the rest of the season. He signed NW Counties forms in February and played briefly for Trafford, whilst also continuing to be named as an intermittent substitute for Altrincham. But by 2006 pre-season he looked sharp once again, scoring six times from the bench in pre-season. Lee then sprained his ankle playing for the Reserves on 16 August and after regaining fitness briefly was injured once again at Cambridge United in October 2006. He made no further appearances after that and elected to leave the club in January 2007. Appearances on departure: 2(+11), 2 goals

    Picture courtesy of Gavin Rathbone

  • Formerly no. 4
  • Mark MADDOX (d.o.b. 1 March 1973, height 6ft 1in, weight 12st 7lbs)

    Born in Liverpool, Mark is a centre-back who originally joined Altrincham in 1996 and returned to Moss Lane in December 1998 after a brief spell at Barrow. He established himself as first-choice centre-back and also played occasionally in 1999/2000 at right-back and in midfield. A very popular and whole-hearted player, nick-named 'Mad Dog', Mark is an excellent tackler - outside football he is a care worker. He had a fine season in 2001-02 and firmly re-established himself again as a first-choice centre-back. He assumed the captaincy in 2003 but a hairline heel fracture in the first game of 2003-04 put him out for several weeks. On returning, the injury continued to cause problems and his season was further disrupted when an ear infection sidelined him in December 2003/January 2004. However, he re-established himself as a regular at centre-back and made his 300th appearance in January 2005. Mark was the club's senior professional and a living Alty Legend! In 2005-06 he missed a number of games through injury and suspension but it was neverthless a surprise when he was released in May 2006. Mark then joined Leigh RMI. Appearances on departure: 298+19, 11 goals.

  • Formerly no. 27
  • George MELLING (d.o.b. 17 November, 1984)

    Aged 19, George is a tall centre-back/right-back who established himself in 2004-05 after emerging from the Reserves. He was formerly at Blackpool FC and Morecambe (reserves and first team) and has also represented the Lancashire FA. After coming on as a late sub against Lancaster in Nationwide North on 29 January 2005, he made his full Alty debut on 1 February 2005 in the Cheshire Senior Cup at Vauxhall. However, his first league start was as a right-back at Kettering on 19 February 2005. After 3(+2) appearances in the Conference, George moved to Clitheroe to get first-team football and he made his debut there on 8 October 2005. He soon moved on to Lancaster City and then Leigh RMI before rejoining Altrincham early in the 2006-07 season. He signed Conference forms in mid-September and was on the bench at Forest Green on 19 September 2006 but was then injured in the Reserves and decided to leave for Bamber Bridge by early November 2006. Appearances to June 2006: 20(+7) appearances, 0 goals.

  • Formerly no. 37
  • Gerard (Ged) MURPHY (d.o.b 19 December 1978)

    Ged, a tenacious midfielder, signed for Altrincham in early November 2005 after his contract was cancelled at Droylsden. Under the new transfer rules he was unable to play for Altrincham for 30 days so was loaned out to Radcliffe Borough for whom he played several games in November. Ged started at Oldham Athletic, who released him in summer 1999. Despite being a trialist at Altrincham that close season, he did not join us then. After spells at various clubs, including Stafford Rangers and Leigh RMI, he moved from Stalybridge Celtic to Droylsden in 2002. Ged became a regular for Alty after his debut on 3 December 2005 at Accrington, but he was sidelined by a badly gashed thigh picked up at Crawley in February 2006. However, he returned to regular action and scored his first goal, against Gravesend on 8 April 2006. But Ged was released in May 2006 and signed for Stafford Rangers. Appearances on departure: 23(+1), 2 goals.

  • Formerly no. 22
  • Richard NORRIS (d.o.b. 5 January 1978)

    Former semi-pro international right-sided/central midfielder, Richard signed from Northwich Victoria on 4 February 2005 and made his debut the next day in the FA Trophy. He made his league debut two weeks later at Kettering. He started at Marine (1992-96) and went for 20,000 to Crewe Alexandra in 1996 before injury led to his joining the Vics in 2000. Richard made some 200 appearances for the Vics and also can claim to have scored England's first ever international Futsal goal. He gradually regained fitness as the 2004-05 season drew to a close but was injured in pre-season and had not played in 2005-06 before undergoing an operation in November 2005. Whilst sidelined, Richard temporarily took over as the club physiotherapist, a profession in which he is qualified. He played his first competitive game of the season as a substitute in the Reserves game against Fleetwood Town on 5 April 2006 but was not fit in time to play any first team games in 2005-06 season. Though he figured in the 2006 pre-season games, Richard was released on 21 July 2006 after electing not to stay with the Reserves to regain full fitness. Appearances to June 2006: 13+5, 1 goal.

  • Formerly no. 18
  • Blake NORTON (d.o.b. 10 December 1983)

    Left-winger Blake Norton is a local lad, having been educated at North Cestrian school in Altrincham but he arrived at Moss Lane by a circuitous route. He signed for Altrincham on 2 March 2006 from Worksop Town, following the elimination of The Tigers from the FA Trophy, having riginally joined Worksop on 20 August 2004 from Rossendale United. He had previously played for Chester City and Stockport County before joining Marine in January 2003 but very soon afterwards he signed for Trafford. Blake then moved on to Stalybridge Celtic for six weeks before rejoining Trafford and then Rossendale United. He briefly joined Northwich Vics from Worksop for an undisclosed sum in June 2005 before returning to The Tigers when the Vics were demoted for off the field problems. Blake made his Alty debut at home to Canvey Island on 11 March 2006 but was released on 21 July 2006 and re-joined Worksop Town. Appearances on departure: 3+3, 0 goals,

  • Formerly no. 22
  • Colin POTTS (d.o.b. 26 February 1978)

    Colin is a skilful right-sided wing-man whose former clubs include Rochdale, Morecambe, Chorley and Bamber Bridge. More recently he was at Lancaster City (from Nov. 2000) before moving to Stalybridge in May 2003 and then on to Northwich Victoria in November 2003. In February 2004 he returned to Stalybridge for 3,000. After spending the summer training with Southport, Colin rejoined the Vics in early August 2004, but almost immediately made his Alty debut in a friendly against Blackburn Rovers on 6 August before signing for the Robins four days later. He made a strong, early impression at Moss Lane and established himself in the team on the right flank from where his crosses laid on several goals. Injury often limited his appearances in 2005-06 to less than ninety minutes a game and he underwent a double hernia operation in July 2006. Colin, who runs a carpet business in Preston when not playing football, went on loan to Burscough in early September 2006 to regain match fitness, having played part of a Reserves' game for Altrincham the previous week as the first stage in his rehabilitation. After three games for Burscough, Colin played his first 90 minutes of the Conference season against Woking on 16 September 2006. However, doubts about his fitness led to his playing a game on loan to Chorley in late 2006 before he elected to seek regular football elsewhere as manager Graham Heathcote could not guarantee him regular football, having made just seven starts and four appearances from the bench in 2006-07. Colin left to get regular football and joined Barrow, after his departure from Alty had been announced on 11 December 2006. Appearances on departure: 81(+25), 13 goals..

    Picture courtesy of Gavin Rathbone

  • Formerly no. 16
  • Peter THOMSON (height 6ft 3ins, d.o.b. 30.6.77)

    Peter Thomson was signed by Alty in June 2006 from Stafford Rangers. Born in Bury, Peter is a striker who has played against us for one of his previous clubs, Lancaster City. After being a trainee at Bury, Peter played for Chorley, then Lancaster City, Dutch club NAC Breda (who paid 25,000 for him). But he broke his leg soon after arriving in Holland and moved on to Luton Town, who bought him for 100,000 in 2000. After a loan to Rushden & Diamonds in 2001-02 he returned to Luton before joining Southport in summer 2002. He re-joined Lancaster City in January 2004. After his debut in a July 2006 friendly at Cammell Laird, injury sidelined him for the rest of the friendlies and the first months of the season. Made his Reserve debut in October 2006 and his first start for the first team came at Halifax on New Year's Day 2007, where he scored but he was unable to command a regular place in the team and his contract was paid up at the end of March 2007. Picture courtesy of Gavin Rathbone.