Players who departed Altrincham in 2004-05 season or 2005 pre-season.

Jamie ALMOND (born Northallerton, 5 Oct. 1983)

(Michael) Jamie Almond was signed from Woodley Sports on 12 March 2004. He is a winger, who had played against Altrincham for Mossley in August 2003 in a friendly but, after 2+3 games and 1 goal for the Lilywhites, he had moved to Woodley. Jamie was an England under-15 international and was with Manchester City's Academy (1999-03) and, whilst there, had trials at Colchester United in December 2002. Jamie had come to City from Scarborough for a fee which had been a record for a schoolboy at the time. Before joining Mossley he also had a trial with Bradford City. He made his Alty debut as a sub at Burscough 10 March 2004. Jamie played in 2004 pre-season but did not break into the first-team squad, despite turning out for the Reserves. Left: Jamie Almond (7) tangles with Chris Adams at Mossley in 2003. Alty appearances: 0(+1).

Jamie BAGULEY (born Salford, 1984)

Jamie is a skilful and pacey wide-left player signed on 8 March 2004, on a month's loan from Stockport County, which was later extended till the end of the season. He made a scoring debut next day at Gainsborough. He had been with both Man. Utd and City before joining County in 2001. He returned to Alty during 2004-05 pre-season after being linked with a move to Rochdale but only played twice again for us, as a sub in friendlies, before moving on in late July 2004 to Radcliffe Borough. He then signed for Rossendale United in October 2004. Alty Appearances: 10+2, goals 2.

  • Peter BAND (d.o.b. 18 December 1973)

    Peter (left) signed from Hyde United for a small fee in July 2002. He joined Hyde United, where he became captain, from Bollington Athletic in July 1998 as a striker but played most of Alty's pre-season at centre-back. Made his league debut till the fourth game of the 2002-03 season when he appeared in central midfield and scored a goal. Peter soon established himself in the first team and played well in various positions, occupying every outfield role except left-back. He is a whole-hearted player wherever he plays but is probably at his best in central defence. Peter became captain when Mark Maddox was suspended in August 2004 and retained this role even after Mark's return, when he moved into midfield. Peter left for Northwich Victoria on 3 December 2004. Appearances for Alty at June 2004 - 127, goals 5.

  •   Mike COATES

    A trialist who made his first appearance, as a sub, in central midfield against Old Alts on 4 August 2004, but was not signed up by Altrincham.

    Ian CRANEY (d.o.b. 21 July 1982)

    Ian is a skilful midfielder, quick-footed, strong on the ball and has a powerful long-range shot with either foot. He was formerly at Runcorn and made his first-team Alty debut against Emley on 9 September, 2000. In 2000-01 season Ian attracted a number of scouts from League clubs, which included Manchester City. He continued to perform very well in 2001-02 as an ever-present member of the first team and made a good start to the 2002-03 pre-season before being required to play out of position. Ian reverted to midfield on the appointment of Graham Heathcote as manager in October 2002 and went on to make a successful debut for the England semi-pro side against Belgium in February 2003 and was again capped in May 2004 against the USA. Ian was elected Altrincham Player of the Season for both 2002-03 and 2003-04, and also lifted the NLP's UniBond Player of the Season award in 2003-04. In 2003-04 he ended the season as leading scorer and team captain. He played two games for Tranmere Rovers Reserves in May 2004 but was sold to Accrington Stanley for 15,000 (plus 2,500 after 20 appearances) and a 50% sell-on clause. Alty career: 197(+17) games, 40 goals.

      Gareth FEENEY

    A pre-season trialist at Alty in July 2004, Gareth started at Bolton Wanderers as a winger but was released in April 1997. He later played for Trafford (1998), Old Alts (2000-01) and Flixton (2003-04). Gareth was not signed by Altrincham after pre-season.

    Niell HARDY (d.o.b. 29 December 1973, height 5ft 11, weight 12st.)

    Niell, a Bury lad, originally joined Alty in August 1995, after two years with Northwich Victoria. He started off as a YTS Trainee at Bolton Wanderers before going to Tranmere Rovers and Crewe. He was a successful striker with Altrincham in the Conference, being leading scorer in 1996/97, when Alty were relegated. In 1999, he left on a free transfer to Morecambe. Another "free" took him to Radcliffe Borough in July 2000. He then went to Bury in April 2001 and, via Radcliffe, on to Stockport County in June 2001 where he scored twice in 10 games in 2001-02. He was released from Edgeley Park in May 2002 and rejoined Radcliffe, who released him in early October 2003. He re-joined Altrincham on 16 October 2003, after being released by Radcliffe Borough. No fee was involved. Niell made his (second) Alty debut at Hucknall (18/10/03) and scored a fine goal but was out injured in November/December and again in mid-February 2004. He started 2004-05 in partnership with Peter Wright, leading the Alty attack, but both were injured in September 2004. Niell was released by Alty on 28 October 2004 and joined Ashton United. Alty career: 150+35 apps, 66 goals.

    David HOLT (d.o.b. 18 Nov. 1984, Gorton, Manchester)

    David signed on 19 December 2003, on loan from Stockport County. He made one first-team sub appearance for the Hatters in 2001-02 and was given a professional contract in October 2002 after he had netted 6 times in 9 games for the County reserve and alliance teams. A busy, little striker, David made a promising Alty debut on Boxing Day 2003 but County recalled him in mid-February 2004. However, he returned to Alty for 2004-05 pre-season but after failing to break into the side, left for Woodley Sports in September 2004. In October 2004 he was at Flixton. Alty career: 6(+4) app's., 1 goal.

    Ged KIELTY (d.o.b. 1 September 1976)

    Ged, a central midfielder, re-joined Altrincham from Leigh RMI on 17 February 2004. He had originally signed for Alty, from Barrow, in January 1999, having previously played at Manchester City, York City and Southport. He moved on loan to Leigh RMI in late March, 2000 as they gained promotion to the Conference. As the 2003-04 season ended, Ged was established in the Alty central midfield but started 2004-05 mostly on the bench. Released by Graham Heathcote in October 2004, Ged joined Trafford but by 30 October was making his debut for Rhyl. In early December 2004 he moved to Hyde United. App's on departure: 26(+9), 1 goal.

    Kelvin LUGSDEN (d.o.b. 4/4/86)

    Kelvin and his twin brother Kieran joined the Altrincham Youth team in late April 2003 from New Mills. He played at left-back, in midfield and centre-back for the Altrincham Youth team. Kelvin made his first-team debut, as a substitute, in the UniBond League Cup match at Workington on 18 November 2003. Whilst at Altrincham, he was also a regular first-choice for New Mills's first team in the Air Miles Manchester League and reverted to New Mills for 2004-05. Alty career: 0(+1).

    Stephen LUNT (d.o.b. 30 September, 1985)

    Steve, formerly at Blessed Thomas Holford School, Altrincham and South Trafford College, made his first-team debut as a late substitute against Bradford P.A. on 12 November 2002. He had previously established himself as a striker for the Altrincham Youth team, as well as playing for Altrincham F.C. Reserves, during 2001-02. Steve has won representative honours for Trafford Schools and for the Altrincham & District F.A. He made his first first-team start, in a cup match against Hyde in November 2002 and scored. He got his first league goal, against Blyth on 8 February 2003. Steve continued to play for the Youth team in 03-04 as well as for the first team. However, in late July 2004, he decided to take a break from football to concentrate on his studies. Career appearances for Alty at June 2004 - 11(+34), goals 4.

  • Jonathan ("Jozzer") MITTEN (d.o.b. 1 December 1976, height 6ft 1in.)

    Jozzer is Jonathan's preferred first-name, though he is usually named in the press as Josh. He signed for Alty on 17 December 2004 from Ashton United just as he was about to start a 3-match suspension, which was soon to be followed by a supplementary 5-game ban for the same offence, committed whilst at Ashton. Jozzer had previously been with a number of local clubs including Trafford, Flixton, Curzon Ashton and Radcliffe Borough. He made his Alty debut, as a sub, at Nuneaton on 22 January 2005 and scored on his home debut soon afterwards, before the second part of his ban began. He is a tall striker with a good touch, who scored 11 times for troubled Ashton before his move to Moss Lane. But his long suspension and then flu meant he was never fully matchfit and he was released in late April 2005. However, he did bravely step up to convert one of the penalties in the Nationwide North play-off semi-final shoot-out at Nuneaton for which Alty fans will be, for ever, grateful.

    Jonathan is the nephew of Alty kitman, Dave Mitten, brother of sports writer Andy Mitten, and his great uncle was Charlie Mitten the former Man. Utd player who was, in the early 1960s, the Altrincham manager. Alty career: 5(+10), 1 goal.

  • Danny MURPHY (d.o.b. 10 May 1977)

    A speedy, wide midfielder who can operate on either wing but is also a fine header of the ball. He was signed on the strength of a fine performance for Mossley against Altrincham in the F.A. Cup and made his debut on 10 October 2000, scoring against Leek Town. His former clubs include Wilmslow Albion, Mossley and Cheadle Town. He picked up an injury in mid-October and missed some games but reappeared as sub at Ilkeston before succumbing once more to injury. On his return he scored inside a minute against Bishop Auckland (2/12/00). Danny had more injuries in 2001-02 which limited his effectiveness and he underwent a hernia operation in Spring 2002 which ruled him out of the side for many weeks. He returned to play at the end of 2001-02 season but injured his ankle in the first game of 2002-03 season. He resumed first team action a few weeks later before falling victim again to injury in November 2002. After an operation, he returned only to fall awkwardly in January 2003 and be sidelined yet again with a ruptured cruciate ligament which kept him out for the whole of 2003-04, despite an operation in late August 2003. He returned to Reserves' action in September 2004 but suffered a swollen knee and had not played for the first team for more than two years by February 2005. First-team appearances: 86(+17), goals 17.

  • Mark RAWLINSON (d.o.b. 9 June 1975, height 5ft 10in, weight 11st 4lbs)

    Mark was briefly a trialist at Alty (July 2004). After starting at Manchester United (1993-95), Bolton-born Mark had five years at AFC Bournemouth where he made 79 league appearances and scored twice. In 2000 he went to Exeter City (25 apps 2 goals) before joining Weymouth (01-03) and then Dorchester Town (03-04). He was Weymouth's penalty-taker. First-team app's: 0.

  • Joey ROBERTS

    Joey was a summer 2004 trialist at Alty after being at Accrington Stanley and Wigan Athletic. He made his first appearance, as a sub, in central midfield in a friendly against Hyde on 26 July 2004. Days later he went on trial to Macclesfield Town but returned by 4 August. Joey was named in the first-team Alty squad against Worksop on 18 September 2004 and in two other games but never got onto the pitch before being released in early October 2004.

    Barry SHUTTLEWORTH (d.o.b 7 July, 1977, height 5ft 8ins, weight 11st.)

    Originally signed on loan from Macclesfield, Barry made his debut in left midfield for Alty on 2 March 2002 against Bishop Auckland. Born in Accrington, he started at Bury as a trainee (1995-97) before moving on a "free" to Rotherham (97-98), Wigan Athletic & Blackpool (98-99), Stockport County (99/00) and Scarborough (00-01). He made 16 league starts (and 3 others) for Blackpool, 2 for Scarborough and 3 as a league sub for the Silkmen before joining Alty. He moved to Accrington Stanley for 2002-03 but rejoined Alty after being released and made his second Alty debut at Marine on 2 December 2002. Barry settled into a midfield role, usually on the left but also proved himself a reliable left-back and penalty-taker. Injury curtailed his appearances early in 2003-04 season but after re-establishing himself in midfield, he was injured again in New Year 2004. He returned, playing at left-back for the latter part of the 2003-04 campaign but was in and out of the starting line-up in 2004-05, a pattern not assisted by niggling injuries and illness. Barry was released on 28 October 2004 and joined Bamber Bridge but injured his ankle just a week later in training. Career appearances for Alty - 64(+15), 9 goals.

  • Matthew TOOTH

    Left-back Matt was Player of the Year for Altrincham Youth side in 2003-04 and graduated to the Reserves for 2004-05. He made his first-team debut as a sub in the CSC against Chester City on 9 November 2004 but joined Leigh RMI in February 2005. Career appearances for Alty - 0(+1)

  • Stephen TORPEY (d.o.b. Liverpool 16 Sept. 1981, height 5ft 9in, weight 10st 8lbs)

    Altrincham signed left-sided midfielder Steve Torpay from Prescot Cables on 2 October 2004. Steve was a schoolboy international for England and was at Liverpool Academy (1998-2001). In 2001-02 he was at Port Vale, where he made one first-team appearance. Made his debut for Alty in October but soon picked up a hamstring injury, then contracted pleurisy. His release was announced on New Year's Day, 2005. Career appearances for Alty - 2(+4), 0 goals.

  • Peter WRIGHT (d.o.b. 15 August 1982, height 5ft 8in, weight 10st 10lb)
    Peter signed for Altrincham on 8 June 2004 after his contract expired at Northwich Victoria. He holds an FA Trophy cup winner's medal, earned whilst at Burscough. However, Peter started out as a trainee with Newcastle United and Blackburn Rovers before arriving at Third Division Halifax Town in summer 2001. He had played in 14 Football League games for Halifax by then. Peter then joined Burscough, in August 2002, after Halifax released virtually all their squad when they dropped out of Division Three. Peter got both goals as the Linnets beat Yeovil on the way to the 2003 FA Trophy Final. He then moved to Southport on 9 August 2003 for a reported 3,000 before moving on to Northwich Victoria on 7 November 2003, where he scored 4 goals in 22 games for the bottom of the table Conference side. He started 2004-05 in the first team but picked up an injury in September before he returned to the squad in October 2004 but whilst regaining fitness in the Reserves, he fractured his eye-socket in early November. However, Peter had recovered to be named as a sub on Boxing Day 2004 but asked to leave the club in late January 2005 and joined Bamber Bridge. Career appearances for Alty - 8(+6), 2 goals.
  • Stuart WRIGHT (d.o.b. 1 March 1978)

    Signed on 21 November 2003 from Vauxhall Motors, Stuart made his debut next day. He had joined Vauxhall from Shell (Ellesmere Port) in July 2000. He is a left-midfielder/striker but he has also covered at left-back for the injured Chris Adams. Stuart never enjoyed a sustained run in the first-team and was released in October, 2004. App's to June 2004: 13(+16), goals 1.