Match Report


Friendly match
played on Tuesday, 31 January 2017, at 7pm


At a rain-sodden J. Davidson Stadium, Manchester United's under-18s gave a good workout to an Altrincham team which utilised nine substitutes (including five trialists) during the second half.

Altrincham took a 19th minute lead when Tom Hannigan back-headed a goal from a fine ball into the box by Andy McWilliams.

Right: Michael Bakare leaves the pitch at the end of the game. Behind him are Alty manager Matt Doughty and former Alty striker Colin Little, now a coach with United.

Having made three changes at the interval, Alty had not settled when United equalised in the 47th minute through Gomes (47 mins). But, although United had more of the attacking play in the second half, it was Alty who scored again when substitute trialist Diego Sedoc superbly lobbed United' keeper Fojkicek just before the hour mark.

Sam Heathcote limped off leaving Alty with ten men to see out the final two minutes and four more of added time.


For this free-entry friendly Altrincham fielded a starting eleven which excluded the Yorkshire trio of Reeves, Clee and Cyrus and which was supplemented by ten substitutes, six of whom were trialists. Alan Goodall made his return from injury on the bench, along with Laurence Taylor, Andy Owens and goalkeeper Andrew Jones.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, red socks) 1. Tim DEASY, 2. Sam PATTERSON, 3. Andy McWILLIAMS, 4. Jake MOULT (c), 5. Tom HANNIGAN, 6. Sam HEATHCOTE, 7. Simon RICHMAN, 8. Kyle BROWNHILL, 9. Oluwatomisin ADELOYE, 10. James LAWRIE, 11. Elliot NEWBY. Subs 12. Brice HERESON, 14. Michael BAKARE, 15.Laurence TAYLOR, 16. Emilie BIYEK, 17. Diego SEDOC, 18. Andy OWENS, 19. Max ALLEN, 20. Andrew JONES, 22. Alan GOODALL, 25. Sam DOWNEY.

MANCHESTER UNITED UNDER-18S (Blue shirts, white shorts). 1. Alex FOJKICEK, 2. George TANNER, 3. Lee O'CONNOR, 4. Tyrell WARREN, 5. Regan POOLE (c), 6. Callum WHELAN, 7. DJ BUFFONGE, 8. Ethan HAMILTON, 9. Josh BOHUI, 10. Angel GOMES, 11. Zak DEARNLEY. Subs: 12. Max DUNNE, 13. Max JOHNSTONE, 14. Jake BARRETT, 15. Harry SPRATT, 16. Aidan BARLOW, 17. Indy BOONEN, 18. Kayne DIEDRICK-ROBERTS, 19. Tom SANG.


This friendly provided an opportunity for members of the first team to maintain match fitness and for the management to run its eyes over a number of second-half substitutes. Amongst the Manchester United coaches for this game was former Alty striker Colin Little.


Document.rtf Rain was to fall from start to finish of this game at the J. Davidson Stadium in which Altrincham kicked off towards the Golf Road end. Altrincham won the match's first two corners (3 and 8 mins) between which a McWilliams cross was knocked down for Adeloye but his shot cleared the bar, albeit aided by a deflection.

As expected United were a well drilled and speedy team but they were to lack penetration against an Alty defence marshalled by Hannigan. Neither keeper was called upon to make a serious contribution as the game passed the fifteen-minute mark. When Patterson won another corner in the 18th minute, Lawrie seemed to be manhandled to the ground inside the box but play continued.

However, moments later, Altrincham got their reward as a corner was cleared but came out to McWilliams. From wide left he put in a fine cross which Hannigan, who had come up for the corner, back-flicked over the keeper and into the net to give his side a nineteenth-minute lead. It was the centre-back's first goal for the club.

A strong run by Brownhill took him into the box before he was halted before a Heathcote freekick from the right allowed Adeloye a header which he glanced wide of the back post (27 mins).

Altrincham continued to create the better openings as, now, Adeloye was brought down 22 yards from goal. Moult's lay off from this freekick led to Heathcote's shot which the keeper fumbled before gathering the ball.

United did threaten soon after the half-hour mark when a 25-yarder was not held by Deasy and the loose ball was put in the net, only to be chalked off for offside.

Two more Alty corners came to nothing (37 mins), before United likewise failed to capitalise on a flag-kick.

Alty left Whelan unmarked and his good shot went only narrowly wide (38 mins). An Adeloye header then forced a good one-handed save by Fojkicek. United did win another corner before the interval but ALty went into the half-time break a goal ahead.


For the second half United brought on Boonen for Dearnley, whilst Altrincham made three changes as Owens and two trialists, Sedoc and Bakare came on for the home side as Lawrie, Moult and Richman departed.

Sedoc is a Dutchman who started out at Feyenoord but has also played in Germany. Bakare is better known to Alty fans; his last club was Wrexham, from where he was released only last week, following a loan spell at Billericay Town. Originally a striker, he was deployed at left-back tonight. Amongst his previous encounters with Alty were a start for Welling in the last Altrincham home game of last season and a place on the bench for Braintree Town in the final match of the season before that.

Before the new men could settle, United had equalised through Gomes who finished well just 90 seconds after the break. Indeed, United were playing with more attacking purpose following the interval.

When Adeloye went up for a header he seemed to be hit by the ball as the opponent behind him headed it. Although it did not look a major incident, the striker stayed down for treatment and although he briefly continued he then sat down and had to be subbed. During his initial treatment, Altrincham made four more changes as Brownhill, Moult, Hannigan and Newby gave way to Laurence Taylor and three more trialists. These were Sam Downey (ex-Corby Town), Max Allen (ex- Bolton Wanderers) and Emilie Biyek (54 mins). When Adeloye proved unable to continue, James Lawrie returned to the fray.

Lawrie was soon in action taking an Alty corner. The United keeper punched the ball away but from the edge of the box, Sedoc expertly lobbed him to restore Altrincham's league (59 mins).

Just after this Alty changed keepers as home-grown youth and reserves' graduate Andrew Jones replaced Deasy (60 mins). United had been enjoying more of the possession but without creating clear chances. They wasted one, however, when Jones mishandled the ball but the United man missed the open goal (63 mins). Three minutes later, O’Connor powered a shot narrowly wide for the visitors.

Sedoc was operating up front with Owens and they kept the United defence on its toes. After Bohui had won them a corner, United brought on Barlow for Hamilton (72 mins).

When Brownhill returned to the match in place of Patterson, it left Heathcote as the only Alty man still on the pitch from kick-off (76 mins). A shot from the lively Buffonge won United another corner (80 mins) before Owens did well to find Sedoc but the keeper smothered the ball.

Heathcote now hurt himself making a challenge but played on (83 mins). Four minutes from time Sang replaced United's Buffonge and then Jones made a good save with his feet as the visitors pressed for a leveller.

Heathcote now had to hobble off and Alty chose to remain with ten men although manpower was available from earlier substituted players (89 mins). Lawrie moved to right back for the closing stages. Into added time Alty had narrow escapes as twice in succession goalbound shots were cleared off the line by defenders but the final action saw Sedoc force a save from Fojkicek ((0+3 mins).

It has been an entertaining game and a good workout for both sides. Whether any of the trialists sufficiently impressed the Alty management remains to be seen.