Match Report


Vanarama National League North match
played at Bromsgrove on Saturday, 29 October 2016, at 3pm


After a fairly bright start from Altrincham they found themselves not only a goal down but alos playing with ten men from the 11th minute. First, Sam Patterson failed to sell a dummy to an opponent, lost the ball, and from the resulting cross from the left veteran ex-WBA striker Lee Hughes headed home, unmarked (9 mins). And, soon afterwards, Patterson missed a ball played up Worcester's inside-left channel and Hughes ran towards goal. Just outside the box, the retreating Goodall brought the striker down and Altrincham's captain was sent off.

Keane made it 2-0 on the half-hour mark with a low shot from 25 yards. In the second half, the ten men rallied slightly with the introduction of substitutes Reeves, Heathcote and Cain but, against the run of play at that stage, Alty made another mistake at the back as Hall and McWilliams got in each other's way, allowing Nelson-Addy an easy conversion from close range (76 mins).


REFEREE: Mr Daniel Middleton

On the eve of the match Altrincham had signed experienced defender and former Worcester City man, Wayne Thomas, on loan from Kidderminster. He became the 34th player to be named this season in an Altrincham first-team squad. Reeves moved to the bench as Marsh started as a lone striker and Thomas replaced Cyrus at the back.


WORCESTER CITY (Blue and white shirts, blue shorts and socks) 1. Ryan Boot, 2. Andy Gallinagh (c), 3. Tyler Weir, 4. Sam Oji, 5. Graham Hutchison, 6. Junior English, 7. Chekaine Steele, 8. Ebby Nelson-Addy, 9.Lee Hughes, 10. Colby Bishop, 11. Cieron Keane. Subs: 12. Danny Jackman, 14. Jordan Murphy, 15. Tom Sharpe, 16.Micah Evans, 13. Ethan Ross.

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts, shorts and socks): 1. Tim DEASY 2. Sam PATTERSON, 3. Andy McWILLIAMS, 4. Wayne THOMAS, 5. Danny HALL, 6. Alan GOODALL (c), 7. James LAWRIE, 8. Jake MOULT, 9. Simon RICHMAN, 10. Phil MARSH, 11. Sean MILLER. Subs: 12. Greg WILKINSON, 14. Damian REEVES, 15. Sam HEATHCOTE, 16. Harry CAIN, 20. Andrew DAWBER.


Mike Garnett's records summarise previous results between our clubs:


City kicked off down the slope on a dull, dank day at Bromsgrove. On a bobbly pitch, Alty started quite brightly and after a foul on Patterson, Lawrie's freekick produced a third-minute corner.

Three minutes later, Richman's well-struck shot was saved after a deflection. Another Alty corner, won from a City misheader, was wasted by Lawrie as he put the ball onto the roof of the net.

Fifteen yards inside his own half Patterson tried to control a loose ball with a dummy that did not work. Possession was lost and the ball was worked left, from where it was crossed and the unmarked Hughes headed home to make it 1-0 after nine minutes.

Two minutes later, Patterson missed a City ball up their inside-left channel which set Hughes free. Goodall chased back and tripped Hughes on the front edge of the box and was shown a red card. With ten men and a 1-0 deficit, and 79 minutes to play, it was turning into a nightmare.

Worcester's Hutchison then suffered a cut below his right eye in a challenge with Marsh and, after treatment, he was replaced by Sharpe (17 mins). Just before City were restored to eleven men, Miller was pulled down in the box but nothing was given.

Boot's long kick upfield obliged Deasy to come out to head clear. Alty's poor defending was seen again when a Bishop chip put Hughes clear but his lob landed on the roof of net when he should have scored (21 mins).

Moult had assumed the captaincy but his needless foul earned him a "last warning" lecture. Alty debutant Thomas was playing well at the back, while Miller was looking the most lively forward player for the visitors.

City doubled their lead on 30 minutes when the ball was worked to Keane who, from 25 yards, beat Deasy with a low shot to make it 2-0. Alty continued to lose possession cheaply and mis-pass the ball and had yet to have a clear sight of goal (38 mins).

As for Worcester, a Weir cross was tipped onto the top of Alty's bar and the follow up had to be blocked. Alty were losing many of the physical challenges but Moult did get a 25 yarder on target but Boot made an easy save (42 mins).

As added time started, Miller fed Richman and his cross from the right won a corner. Following this, Moult sliced an effort high and wide. Just before the interval, a shot from Weir flew just wide after his interchange with Hughes.


Alty's ten men kicked off down the slope but were still making errors as, now, McWilliams missed an aerial ball but Steele fired his shot well off target (47 mins). Alty were opened up again as Keane played in Steele with a lob but he lifted the ball over the bar.

Next, Deasy cleared the ball to Steele whose shot he then saved. After Keane had scythed down Lawrie, 40 yards out, Lawrie's freekick went to the keeper. But City soon threatened again as Bishop was played into the box but made a hash of his shot and the ball was`cleared.

Heathcote replaced Marsh and Miller went up front and Heathcote into the back three (56 mins). Gradually Alty got more into the match following two Heathcote throws and two Alty corners. It was their best spell of the game (63 mins).

Worcester brought on Murphy for Bishop (66 mins) before Lawrie, then Moult, had shots blocked. Richman was now booked for a foul near half way (69 mins). Two minutes later, Reeves replaced Miller and on 73 minutes, Cain replaced Lawrie.

A Reeves snap shot won a corner as keeper Boot beat it out. A goal from Alty during this decent spell might have made a game of it but another piece of calamitous defending finally settled the outcome. From a Hughes cross Hall and McWilliams got in a tangle as they both went for the ball and Nelson-Addy was allowed to score from close range (76 mins).

Next, a Murphy shot was saved after more indifferent defending. City made a change as Evans came on (80 mins). Richman then fed Cain but he pulled his shot across goal and wide from the right (81 mins). Next, Reeves forced a save from right of goal before, at the other end, a Keane cross from the left allowed Hughes a header, which went just wide at the back post (84 mins).

A Cain run into the box won a corner before four added minutes started with Moult having to clear off the line.

Altrincham's ten men had not collapsed after their disastrous start to the game but the frequency of their errors, especially at the back, undermined any hope of retrieving anything from the afternoon.