Match Report


Vanarama National League North match
played on Monday, 29 August 2016, at 3pm


After two successive heavy defeats this was a much improved performance from an Altrincham side showing three changes. Patterson, Bassangue and Bell were replaced in the starting eleven by Richman, Reeves and Heathcote.

Altrincham started quite well and more than matched the opposition in the opening twenty minutes. However, the Harriers gradually gained the upper hand but a couple of decent saves from Andrew Dawber kept them out. However, they took the lead after 44 minutes when, out of nothing, a ball rebounded in the penalty area and Gnahoua pounced to drive a rising shot into the net from close range.

The Harriers continued to be a danger, especially on the flanks, in the second half but James Lawrie almost netted a spectacular equalizer after 62 minutes. From inside his own half, on the right, his well-executed lob sent keeper Hornby scurrying fruitlessly back to his line but the ball landed just on top of the net rather than under the bar. A late tackle led to Simon Richman hobbling off to add to Altrincham's injury concerns.


REFEREE: Mr Aaron Jackson
ATTENDANCE: 1489 (72 away)

After three draws, followed by three successive defeats, Altrincham went into this game seeking their first win of the season. Back into the side came Heathcote, Richman and Reeves and Cain was included for the first time on the bench. Patterson was not in the squad.

On the eve of the match, manager Neil Young had resigned and a triumvirate of players (Alan Goodall, Jake Moult and Shaun Densmore), had assumed temporary charge of the team for this game.


KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS (Red and white) 1. Sam Hornby, 2. Tyrone Williams, 3. Zaine Francis-Angol, 4. Ryan Croasdale, 5. Keith Lowe, 6. Jordan Tunnicliffe, 7. Tyrell Waite, 8. James McQuilkin, 9. Mani Dieseruvwe, 10. Elton Ngwatala, 11. Arthur Gnahoua Subs: 17. Wayne Thomas, 12. Sam Austin, 14. Liam Truslove, 15. Robert Stambolziev, 16. Andre Brown

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts and socks, blue shorts): 1. Andrew DAWBER, 2. Sam HEATHCOTE, 3. Adam SUMNER, 4. Jake MOULT (capt), 5. John CYRUS, 6. Jon MORAN, 7. Simon RICHMAN, 8. David LYNCH, 11. James LAWRIE, 9. Emile SINCLAIR-HUTTON, 10. Damian REEVES. Subs: 12. Danny HATTERSLEY, 14. Nyal BELL, 15. Billy HASLER-CREGG, 16. Alan GOODALL, 17. Harry CAIN


Although recent visits to Aggborough have tended to be unhappy, Mike Garnett reminded us before this game that our overall record at Kidderminster is not at all bad...


Harriers kicked off in sunshine but, in a quiet start, a scuffed Moult shot to the keeper was the most noteworthy event before Ngwatala nodded wide from a cross from the right (4 mins).

Alty had deployed Heathcote at right-back, Sumner on the left and loanee Moran partnered Cyrus centrally. In an encouraging start, a Sinclair shot across goal was almost turned in by Reeves after a good passing move (7 mins)

For Kiddy, Williams won a corner on the right but then he headed it well wide. After a Francis trip on Reeves near half way, a Moult shot just cleared the bar from Sinclair's feed (10 mins).

Dawber had to be alert to tip Waite's header away from the target following a cross by Williams (12 mins). Alty were giving as good as they got and, next, a Lawrie 25 yarder had to be saved afer Moran had started a move which had developed via Richman (18 mins).

The hosts won a corner off Sumner, which was immediately followed by two more before Lawrie finally cleared the ball (21 mins).

Kidderminster now began to enjoy more possession and With Williams, Ganhoua and Francis all willing to run at the Alty defence, the visitors began to get pushed back. Soon Williams got into the box and won another corner, from which Lowe's backpost effort gained another corner.i

Dawber had to make a save at the end of a slick move from the Kidderminster corner and the Alty keeper needed treatment before resuming (29 mins). Next, Sumner cleared after Heathcote had dived in and been beaten by the lively Gnahoua who has improved considerably since his Stalybridge days.

Kiddy remained on top but now Lawrie battled well to win the ball and a freekick. After a McQuilkin shot had been blocked, a Ngwatala header dropped to Dawber who was soon in action again as he smartly cut out a low cross with a dive (38 mins).

When Lawrie was tripped in midfield, he overhit his freekick. Up front, Reeves and Sinclair were seeing little of the ball.

When McQuilkin went down in the box, he was booked for a dive as Kiddy threatened on the Alty right. The pressure finally told when the ball broke off a rebound to Gnahoua who hammered home a goal from close range (44 mins). The goal had come out of nothing.

Alty had started well but the Harriers had then got the upper hand and though their goal was a little fortunate it was deserved on the balance of play. But Altrincham had given a much better account of themselves than in recent matches.


Altrincham brought on Hasler-Cregg for Sinclair at half time. After Lawrie had kicked off, Reeves went down in the box but got nothing for his pains from the referee. Reeves was now alone up front with Lawrie behind.

The Harriers threatened as Waite got past Sumner then his deep cross was volleyed against Heathcote for a corner. Following McQuilkin's first-half booking for simulation, another Kiddy man was now spoken to after going down in the box (49 mins).

From a Heathcote throw, an Alty corner arrived but was overhit by Lawrie. Sumner was being kept busy and was now booked for a foul. Kiddy were again on top but a Hasler Cregg dipper only just cleared the Kiddy bar from 25 yards in a central position (53 mins).

Moran now covered well but at the cost of a corner which Dawber collected well. The Harriers' wide men were again causing Alty problems especially on our left. And Moran again covered well after Waite had got past Sumner (57 mins).

There was almost a sensational equalizer as Lawrie, from his own half, was inches from scoring but his lobbed ball landed on the roof of the net as the keeper scurried back (62 mins).

Now Truslove replaced Ngwatala for the hosts. Soon after this, Williams was booked for a foul on Lynch. The ref had allowed Alty the advantage and Hasler-Cregg to win a corner before the card was shown (64 mins).

Alty then picked up another card as a Heathcote trip earned him a caution. Now Hattersley came on for Lynch to bolster the attacking options (66 mins). The Harriers responded as Stambolziev replaced Francis-Angol (67 mins).

Hasler Cregg won another corner as Alty now enjoyed a better spell. A Richman surge into the box was halted but soon afterwards a crude, late tackle on Richman saw Stombolziev rightly booked. The foul ended Richman's game as he hobbled off after treatment, Bell replacing him (77 mins).

Kiddy got back on the front foot as Gnahoua advanced and won a corner off a deflected shot. Another corner followed, after which a fierce shot was beaten out by Dawber. Alty were then under the cosh as a ball flew across the face of their goal for a corner.

Moran jumped in twice in quick succession on Truslove and Croasdale and was not surprisingly booked (84 mins). Now Brown came on for Dieseruvwe (85 mins). Following a freekick a Kiddy header went over the Alty bar.

Kidderminster got through four added minutes with the help of a little timewasting but they held on for the three points. Altrincham received a good ovation from their travelling support after showing much more effort than had been displayed in recent games. It will remain a tough challenge to climb the table but there is definite hope that this will be the case after this improved showing.

To underline the difficult opposition they have had, so far, this season, today's top five are all teams which Altrincham have had to face in their opening seven fixtures.