Match Report


FA Trophy Round One match
played on Tuesday, 15 December, 2015, at 7.45pm


With Altrincham leading 1-0 and less than 14 minutes remaining, a mistake by left-back Adam Griffin gifted Leamington an equalizer and ensured that Altrincham would have a crowded Christmas schedule. Following an Alty corner, Leamington keeper Breedon collected the ball and kicked upfield. Griffin missed the ball, allowing substitute Ogleby, who had literally just joined the game, a clear run at exposed goalkeeper Tim Deasy whom he beat with his shot.

Altrincham had taken the lead in the 70th minute when Breeden failed to hold a Rankine shot and Reeves netted the loose ball. Earlier an Alty effort by Lawrie had stuck in the soft pitch as it was about to cross the line after evading Breeden and Sinnott had also hit the post with a fine shot as Alty put in an improved second-half performance.

The replay will be on Tuesday 22 December, meaning that Alty now have five fixtures, four of them away, in fourteen days over the Christmas period.


REFEREE: Mr Adrian Holmes

For Alty, Luca Havern was back after suspension but Josh O'Keefe remained banned.


ALTRINCHAM (Red & white striped shirts, black shorts, white socks): 17. Tim DEASY, 20. Jordan SINNOTT, 5. Luca HAVERN (capt), 6. Scott LEATHER, 3. Adam GRIFFIN, 4. Jake MOULT, 8. Simon RICHMAN, , 19. Ryan CROWTHER, 7. James LAWRIE, 9. Michael RANKINE, 10. Damian REEVES. Subs 11. Nicky CLEE, 23. Callum WILLIAMS, 18. George BOWERMAN, 24. Rhain DAVIS, 12. Sam HEATHCOTE,

LEAMINGTON (All blue) 1. Tony Breeden (capt), 2. James Mace, 3. James Fry, 4. Joe Magunda, 6. Jamie Hood, 5. Jamie Tank, 9. Ben Mackey, `10.Jack Edwards, 7. Lee Moore, 8. Richard Taundry, 11.Lee Chilton. Subs 12. Rob Ogleby, 15. Ross Oulton, 16. Ben George, 17. Nat Kelly, 14. Will Green.


This match had been postponed from Saturday when the pitch had been waterlogged.

Mike Garnett provides Alty's record against Leamington and their previous incarnation as AP Leamington.

Record v Leamington FC

Record v AP Leamington

The clubs have never previously met in a cup match.


The pitch was obviously fairly heavy after recent rain but was certainly playable and, fortunately, the forecast heavy rain turned out to be a short spell which cleared for most of the match. But the weather, combined with its pre-Christmas date produced a disappointingly low gate at the J. Davidson Stadium.

Leamington won the toss and elected to defend the away end so, after changing ends, Altrincham kicked off. Inside the first minute the ball cannoned off Simon Richman's face and play halted for him to be treated.

The first hint of danger to the visitors' goal arrived after Lawrie won the ball and set Rankine chasing his pass. Goalkeeper Breeden came out and won a fortunate freekick against the advancing Alty striker (5 mins). A couple of minutes later a Crowther run led to a Lawrie cross which was caught by the keeper. Then, Reeves fired just wide from 20 yards.

Leamington had their early moments, too, as firstly an optimistic appeal for a penalty against Leather went unanswered before the lively Chilton played in Edwards but his curling shot just cleared the bar (11 mins). Alty responded as Rankine fed Reeves, who found Lawrie whose shot stung the keeper's palms and won a corner (13 mins).

From the corner, Alty grazed the Leamington upright. However, the visitors now enjoyed a good spell. In the 19th minute, another good Chilton run led to Moore winning a corner, followed two minutes afterwards by a 30-yarder from Taundry which deflected just wide for a corner.

But play soon switched again as Crowther had a shot blocked and then made a good run but fired over the bar. Referee Holmes allowed play to continue after a foul on Richman but went back and booked the offender, Fry (27 mins).

After Rankine had won a corner, Breeden fumbled the ball before gathering it. When Leather was penalised on the edge of Alty's box, Moore's on-target freekick was scooped over the bar by Deasy for a corner (31 mins).

Reeves then won a freekick, 30 yards out. Sinnott took this well but Rankine misheaded the ball wide before the sequence of alternating freekicks continued as Havern's holding was penalised 30 yards out from Alty's goal. Taundry chipped the freekick just too long for his team-mates to reach (34 mins).

Play again switched to the other end where a Crowther cross gained a corner after a good ball from Moult to Sinnott. Leather's firm, close-range header from the corner was blocked on the line by keeper Breeden before Reeves mishit the ball over the bar.

Hood then had to leave the pitch for a few minutes for attention to a bloody nose and to change into a replacement shirt. Next a fine threaded ball from Leather set Reeves running towards goal but Hood did well to intervene in the box (42 mins).

Before half time a Chilton shot went to Deasy as a generally entertaining game remained goalless at the interval.


The half started scrappily before Altrincham began to get the upper hand. Under normal conditions they would have taken a 52nd minute lead when Breeden failed to hold Lawrie's shot and it ran towards the goal-line only to be stopped dead by the heavy pitch.

Magunda was now booked for reasons that were not altogether clear before Lawrie won a corner on the right. Once again Breeden fumbled the ball. As the hour mark passed neither side was creating clear chances and after 63 minutes Havern was booked for a lunging tackle.

It then took an excellent block by Griffin in the Alty goalmouth to stop what looked a goalbound effort. A corner followed before Altrincham made a 66th minute change as Clee replaced Crowther.

Both keepers were then in action as, first, Deasy saved a header, low down, before his counterpart, Breeden gathered the ball just ahead of the advancing Reeves, as he chased a Richman feed.

When Breeden again fumbled a shot, this time from Rankine, Reeves pounced to sweep the loose ball into the net and give Altrincham a 1-0 lead in the seventieth minute.

But the Brakes almost levelled immediately as a fierce cross from the right by Edwards was headed over the bar by Mace. Next, some Clee trickery led to Reeves's shot being deflected onto the roof of the net for a corner.

Altrincham almost wrapped up the game in the 74th minute when a superb run on the right by Sinnott culminated in a fierce shot which beat Breeden but cannoned off his right upright to safety.

Alty now won a corner and before it could be taken the visitors made a double change as Ogleby and Oulton came on for Moore and Mackey. Breeden collected the corner and his punt upfield was missed by Griffin, some 35 yards out from his own goal. The loose ball put Ogleby free and he beat the advancing Deasy with his first touch of the game to make it 1-1 (76 mins).

Breeden was in action soon afterwards as he blocked Reeves's effort and the visitors' keeper then found himself barged into the advertising hoardings by Rankine (80 mins)!

After waiting for several minutes on the pitch side, Bowerman belatedly replaced Rankine and Leamington introduced George for Mace (88 mins). But, despite more than three added minutes, neither side could break the deadlock and will resume their battle, next Tuesday, to win through to a Second Round tie at Bognor Regis Town.