Match Report


Vanarama National League match
played on Saturday, 22 August, 2015, at 3pm


Altrincham slipped to a late defeat on a sweltering afternoon at Dover. They fell behind to Ofori-Acheampong's 22nd minute goal before George Bowerman finished well from an excellent feed by Sinnott just before half time.

In a disappointing second half they lost Adam Griffin to an early injury before conceding a controversial 89th minute goal. In the goal melee, Coburn was hurt and was unable to continue. Nicky Clee went in goal and made a couple of good saves as the ten men completed the game.

Alty have now lost four of their first-choice back five to injury this season.


REFEREE: Mr A Young (Cambridgeshire)

Altrincham arrived in Dover without injured centre-backs Tom Marshall (broken leg) and Luca Havern (hamstring) but buoyed by a fine performance against Grimsby Town in midweek, which had brought them their first win of the season.

New loan signing Andrew Parry started alongside Scott Leather at centre-back. Again there was no place for Ryan Crowther in the squad.

Dover included new signing Jaydon Gibbs on their bench. The Whites had recorded a win, a defeat and two draws so far this season.

DOVER ATHLETIC (White and navy) 1. Mitch Walker, 2. Sam Magri, 5. Sean Raggett, 6. Richard Orlu, 8. Liam Bellamy, 9. Ricky Miller, 14. Duane Ofori-Acheampong, 15. Jamie Grimes (C),16. Tyrone Sterling, 17. Nick Deverdics, 23 Stefan Payne. Subs: 18. Jack Parkinson, 12. Matt Young, 3. Tom Wynter, 11. Naby Diallo, 20. Jaydon Gibbs.

ALTRINCHAM (Yellow shirts with blue trim, blue shorts, yellow socks): 1. Stuart COBURN, 2. Shaun DENSMORE (capt), 3. Adam GRIFFIN, 4. Jake MOULT, 6. Scott LEATHER, 22. Andrew PARRY, 7. James LAWRIE, 8. Simon RICHMAN, 9. Michael RANKINE, 18. George BOWERMAN, 20. Jordan SINNOTT, Subs: 15. Anthony GRIFFITH, 17. Tim DEASY, 10. Damian REEVES, 11. Nicky CLEE, 14. Josh O'KEEFE


Mike Garnett's record of games between the two clubs shows:


Dover kicked off on a very hot and sunny afternoon after the teams had changed ends. In a fairly quiet opening, a Miller header from a cross from the right was the only significant effort on goal.

Alty were on the back foot in these opening stages, however. Dover won the first corner, off Griffin, before Magri was booked for a late lunge on Bowerman (10 mins). From Griffin's freekick, Grimes misheaded the ball narrowly over his own bar and, after a half clearance, Sinnott's cross went to keeper Walker (11 mins).

The visitors now got into the game a bit more but there was no goalmouth action at either end. Parry halted Acheampong but Dover were awarded a corner, which was half cleared to Deverdics, who fired over (20 mins).

Dover took a 22nd minute lead when a fierce cross by Payne, from the right, was diverted into Alty's net, off the bar, by Acheampong's quick reaction. In the build up to the cross, Parry and Lawrie seemed to get in each other's way as they went to clear the ball.

Richman won Altrincham a 26th minute corner taken by Sinnott. Leather rose well but his goalbound header was cleared off the line by a defender.

Sinnott's clearance was sliced just wide of his own net after Densmore's pass had been intercepted, and a corner resulted (30 mins). From this, Dover's Raggett got in a stooping header, which went just over the bar (31 mins).

Dover came forward again but Densmore halted Miller before Leather cleared a Sterling cross. Leather was impressing as he cleared again soon afterwards.

Alty remained second best before Bowerman won a corner on the left, taken by Sinnott, which Walker punched out for a second corner. As this came in, Bowerman was hauled over in the box but no penalty resulted (39 mins).

Altrincham drew level with a fine goal. A well judged, angled ball forward from inside-left, by Sinnott, located Bowerman. He controlled it well and made himself space on the edge of the box. From a fairly central position, he shot low into the keeper's right-hand corner to make it 1-1 (41 mins).

Dover had just won a corner when the half-time whistle sounded to save Alty from having to defend it (45 +1 mins).


Reeves replaced Rankine for the second half. A fairly scrappy start saw Griffin win a freekick in his own area but a minute later, Alty's left-back went down needing treatment to what seemed to be a hip, or lower-back, injury. Physio Alan Ainsley called for a substitution and Nicky Clee came on to take up the left-back slot (52 mins). So, Alty had lost their third defender to injury this season.

Clee had to show the fourth official how to operate the substitute board before he came on!

When the Dover fans, behind the goal, showed more interest in batting round an inflatable object than in following the game, it summed up the scrappiness of the fare before them.

Leather continued to be everywhere for Alty at the back as neither side threatened a goal or even a worthwhile shot as the hour mark passed.

After three Densmore throws in succession, Lawrie did well then Bowerman won a corner, but this was cleared. To be fair to the players, the heat was slowing the game down.

On seventy minutes, Acheampong forced a good block by Coburn before play stopped for lengthy treatment to Sinnott, as the other players took on board liquids (72 mins)

Dover's Parkinson came on for Ofori-Acheampong (76 mins) before Clee halted Deverdics. From as Dover corner, Raggett headed to Coburn as the hosts continued to have the majority of the forward momentum. Things improved for Alty as a Bowerman run was followed by a blocked Lawrie shot (81 mins).

After Bowerman had shot across the face of goal, Diallo and Wynter replaced Payne and Magri for Dover . Then O'Keefe came on for Bowerman (84 mins).

An O'Keefe and Bellamy collison gave Dover a freekick and a sore head for the Alty man (86 mins). Two punches clear by Coburn were followed by a fine clearance by Densmore who was fouled in the process (87 mins). A Dover corner arrived after Leather let the ball go out, expecting a goalkick. Following this, Coburn slipped as he rushed out to close down Miller but he succeeded in blocking the Dover shot, before Leather cleared off the line. But the loose ball ran to as Raggett hammered it in (89 mins). Alty keeper Coburn was down and needed to be treated.

As Alty argued with the referee about the goal, Coburn was treated before hobbling off. Having used all their subs, Clee went in goal. Now four of the Altrincham back five had been injured this season.

Clee proved his worth with two fine saves as the ten men defended the Dover pressure. With more than five minutes of added time played, Altrincham limped away from The Crabble after an unhappy afternoon.